Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Thinking about an i5-7600K or i7-7700K build on Z270 M/B dedicated to flightsims:

  • DCS
  • X-Plane v10 / v11
  • P3D v3 / v4
  • VR in the future

Q1) Based on browsing users system specs on several flightsim forums am I right in thinking the current Kaby Lake "sweetspot" for RAM is:

16MB DDR4-3200???

Q2) Is anyone really going to need more than 16GB for current flightsims (anyone running the above sims with 8GB and no OOMs)?

Q3) Would VR need more system RAM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That was the conclusion I came to during my last build, 3200 was ideal. Gskill trident 3200 can be had in 16 and 15 CAS latencies, if you can find the 15 that would be my recommendation.  Can't comment on 8 gb tho, I currently have 32 gb of it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OneWhoKnocks53 said:

I currently have 32 gb of it.

What made you choose 32GB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Djang0 said:

am I right in thinking the current Kaby Lake "sweetspot" for RAM is:

 

Not really sure why you would think this... there is no such thing as a "RAM sweet spot" for a particular CPU...

needed RAM will depend on what you want to run, and a "sweet spot" will also depend on what (I guess the majority of) users run ant the same time. 

Given the current 64bit, and the fact that your comouter does not "just" run the sim, I would,definitely get 32GB (well in fact I already do have that...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OneWhoKnocks53 said:

That was the conclusion I came to during my last build, 3200 was ideal. Gskill trident 3200 can be had in 16 and 15 CAS latencies, if you can find the 15 that would be my recommendation.  Can't comment on 8 gb tho, I currently have 32 gb of it.

There are no benchmarks that show RAM speed makes any significant difference in gaming whatsoever...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

There are no benchmarks that show RAM speed makes any significant difference in gaming whatsoever...

You are probably right, but faster RAM won't slow it down.  It's all about what you want and what's on sale.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raven9000 said:

There are no benchmarks that show RAM speed makes any significant difference in gaming whatsoever...

Not quite correct, some apps benefit more than others from memory bandwidth improvements - even Phil Taylor from Aces has I think said that FSX was particularly sensitive in that sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Not quite correct, some apps benefit more than others from memory bandwidth improvements - even Phil Taylor from Aces has I think said that FSX was particularly sensitive in that sense.

Yes, maybe 10 years ago when FSX was released and ram technologies were quire different and new concepts coming out. Not now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OneWhoKnocks53 said:

You are probably right, but faster RAM won't slow it down.  It's all about what you want and what's on sale.  

Right, of course not, but the thing is that "higher speed" RAM often comes with a premium in cost,with a big difference in some cases, and paying extra for no gain is just a waste of mony IMHO...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

there is no such thing as a "RAM sweet spot" for a particular CPU

I was thinking about price and useful performance gain for a given chipset and CPU speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Djang0 said:

I was thinking about price and useful performance gain for a given chipset and CPU speed.

Indeed, and there may be plenty of folks who agree with your perspective.

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Djang0 said:

I was thinking about price and useful performance gain for a given chipset and CPU speed.

Again, there is no such thing. It all depends on what you want to run (or if you like, what users in average, use/run at a time. 

This has nothing to do with cpu type/speed/chipset

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2017 at 5:26 AM, Raven9000 said:

There are no benchmarks that show RAM speed makes any significant difference in gaming whatsoever...

 

Do a search on the forum. You're looking for tests done by "Saab340". He did a lot of tests, and I recall there was benefit from faster RAM. Not huge but benefit all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regard to games, Linus did some tests. I'm not much of a fan of his, but he made some valid points.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, martin-w said:

 

Do a search on the forum. You're looking for tests done by "Saab340". He did a lot of tests, and I recall there was benefit from faster RAM. Not huge but benefit all the same.

I searched in more specialized places than just the forums, I always research when building new PCs. There is no noticeable improvement in going with the faster memory for gaming.  It is nice marketing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

I searched in more specialized places than just the forums, I always research when building new PCs. There is no noticeable improvement in going with the faster memory for gaming.  It is nice marketing though.

 

 

Depends how you define "noticeable"... If by "noticeable" you mean "visually" in games, then often, no, you won't see it. How could you at 60 + frames per second and only a 7% or less improvement. However, in tests the data demonstrates an improvement. It depends on the RAM speed and the game in question but yes, you will see a slight improvement in many tiles. Is it worth the investment to spend a lot of money on super fast RAM, probably not, but that's not my point, just that you are wrong in that a small improvement is often manifest.

As for tests in the sim, then yes, in CPU dominant titles like the sim improvements in frame rate with faster RAM are manifest.

"Westman" is the expert around here, he tests more hardware than you and I have had hot dinners. I recall he too has confirmed a slight improvement with faster RAM. 

Did you bother to watch the Linus video I posted? He too witnessed a slight increase in frame rate with some tiles.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you go. Nice graph for you in post 8...

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/497262-i7-7700k-looking-good-at-349/?page=2#comment-3505093

As SAAB340 said and demonstrated  in his graph...

 

Quote

Yes. Higher frequency and tighter timings are better. Westman has shown that as well in many great FSXmark11 tests . I posted quite a few results with different RAM speeds/timings when I built my Skylake build soon a year ago I think.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

Again, there is no such thing

So should I just get the fatsest I can afford?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go for the 3200mhz c15-16 not a big difference in price to slow 2133mhz kits , in the sim the difference is 6-7% faster compared to 2133mhz kit.

Yes mems make difference in P3D, FSX 

The 3200mhz c16, 16 or 32gb mems is sweet spot for 7700k even if that not exist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, westman said:

The 3200mhz c16, 16 or 32gb mems is sweet spot for 7700k even if that not exist

I've seen a lot of people on various forums planning 32GB builds because they claim that their flightsims can utilise up to around 24GB. But I've not seen hard evience of this (anyone???). I do wonder what kind of demands VR hardware place on system RAM and if that is likely to increase in the near future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2017 at 0:05 PM, Djang0 said:

Thinking about an i5-7600K or i7-7700K build on Z270 M/B dedicated to flightsims:

  • DCS
  • X-Plane v10 / v11
  • P3D v3 / v4
  • VR in the future

Q1) Based on browsing users system specs on several flightsim forums am I right in thinking the current Kaby Lake "sweetspot" for RAM is:

16MB DDR4-3200???

Q2) Is anyone really going to need more than 16GB for current flightsims (anyone running the above sims with 8GB and no OOMs)?

Q3) Would VR need more system RAM?

I just recently upgraded from 8gb 2133mhz to 16gb 3600mhz.

I asked around and did a bit of research - at the end of the day it's really up to you what speed you get. From my research, the price 'sweet spot' for RAM was 3200mhz. That seemed to be the best value. I found 16gb at 3600mhz for about $50AUD more in one store which seemed to be the last of it so I grabbed it. Higher speeds than this and it just got ridiculously expensive and I think my MB will only run one more speed step up anyway. 

Did I notice a difference? Sure did but then again I went from single channel 2133 to dual channel at 3600 so that probably explains a bit.

I'm running a 7700k on a Z270.

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2017 at 8:45 AM, martin-w said:

In regard to games, Linus did some tests. I'm not much of a fan of his

Year I can't stand that guy!

OK, so which flight sims will definitely benefit from more than 16GB of RAM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2017 at 9:13 PM, Djang0 said:

Year I can't stand that guy!

OK, so which flight sims will definitely benefit from more than 16GB of RAM?

In their default configuration?  None.  But start loading up lots of complex add-ons and you can get there, at least in theory.  I haven't seen anyone show off a screen shot of task manager showing more than 16GB system RAM utilization solely due to P3D.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this