Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

BEFORE YOU THROW AWAY A DECADE OF SIMMING

Started simming in 2007 and have used nothing but FSX. I've always thought if I pick up another sim it would be FS9 just because of the smooth performance I have read from other simmers. Not sure that's not still the case.

Vic green

Incredible comparison. The biggest limitation of FS9 is the texture resolution. Apart from that, it looks very good, for some things even better than AFS2 (and with very high FPS as well).

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

28 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Incredible comparison. The biggest limitation of FS9 is the texture resolution. Apart from that, it looks very good, for some things even better than AFS2 (and with very high FPS as well).

That's why I still use FS9, for all my tubing...and always will. And...if you run with EVO2015/16...even all the better!

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Murmur said:

... Moving to Win10 had much to do with it ... Nice comparison and you do it justice

Thanks for the comments, guys.
There's no question FS9 is ultimately limited by resolution. How much that affects your enjoyment is balanced by the huge amount of stuff you can load it with.

In my case moving to WIN 10 coincided with a new computer. This is what made me want to look at a new sim platform. I was totally blown away running AFS2 using an Oculus Rift. It's just a completely different experience in, well... reality. AFS2 has a long and potentially glorious future, based as it is on some really sound code. It's a beautiful and fluid experience.

Of course, FS9 still exists on my WINXP (no internet) box and will do for as  long as I want some serious flightsimming!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

Just got off a flight FSX/Steam, TFDi717, new FSDT/KCLT, ASN, sliders about 75% and on final my scenery turns to pea soup. All these new sims might be great, but if your system can't run them, whats the use? To me, performance trumps all, thats why I would go to FS9 if I decided to try another sim.

Vic green

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

What is AFS2?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/434030/Aerofly_FS_2_Flight_Simulator/

Radio controlled model plane sim that has grown up a bit.  Still way too simple for my tastes, but it looks pretty and runs fast.  Biggest issue is lack of depth currently.

Worth checking out though.  I bought version 1, it's fun but simple.  They then went to version 2 before building out the features of 1, so I lost interest.

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

All these new sims might be great, but if your system can't run them, whats the use? To me, performance trumps all, thats why I would go to FS9 if I decided to try another sim.

Quite right... my FS9 is a joy on my old XP box.
And AFS2 has a brilliant engine that delivers really fluid performance on my new box. It's actually the best feature of the sim, given it's in its infancy.

1 hour ago, be77solo said:

Radio controlled model plane sim that has grown up a bit. 

I think AFS2 is a slightly different animal (I didn't try v.1) which may become the "casual flyer" sim of choice for many. ORBX certainly have produced wonderful addon scenery to take advantage of its strengths.

5 minutes ago, WingZ said:

I think AFS2 is a slightly different animal (I didn't try v.1) which may become the "casual flyer" sim of choice for many.

Yeah, I was excited when v1 was released and what was promised (yes, it's very simple), but then the developers abandoned it for other platforms.  Eventually they came back to PC with v2, but they lost me by then.  Maybe I'm just a sour grape lol.  Any who, I prefer nice deep systems over eye candy, and even v2 can't offer anything close.

For a casual sim or RC, it's great though.

AFS2 looks great, but the sim leaves so much to be desired. No way is this a P3D or XP11 replacement at this point. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

3 hours ago, be77solo said:

, I prefer nice deep systems over eye candy

Yes sir!

Vic green