Sign in to follow this  
theobrinkman

Gtx 970 or gtx 1080 using airliner in p3d v4

As promised. I just got my GTX1080TI a few hours ago and did some testing. I decided the best way to show you the performance was with a short video of max settings landing at LGA with cloudy weather and 60% UTlive. The end result was amazing. Very smooth flight.

DISCLAIMER. I am tired from work so not my best video. I only did a quick shadowplay with handbrake so don't expect any fancy editing on this one. 

• Upvote 1

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

19 minutes ago, warriorpilot said:

As promised. I just got my GTX1080TI a few hours ago and did some testing. I decided the best way to show you the performance was with a short video of max settings landing at LGA with cloudy weather and 60% UTlive. The end result was amazing. Very smooth flight.

I have 1080 and am contemplating getting a 1080TI but not sure if it worth it. Please would you share you System Specs - CPU / RAM / MB  etc.. and your P3D or by "Max Settings" do you mean all P3Dv4 mased out ?

Regards,

M

Mario Lobo

P3D v:4.5| Win 10 2004 x64 pro | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E | i9-9900KS@ 5.1Ghz(OC) | Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTRS TZ Royal (16x2)32G Kit DDR4 3200Mhz | 11GB RTX 2080 TI Asus STRIX OC| 1x Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB | Samsung 970 PRO 1TB | 2x Samsung 860 PRO 2TB| Tt ToughpowerXT 875W | CoolerMaster HAF X Tower

Today I installed PDMG 737NGX in P3Dv4. How will my GTX react looking at fps and smooth flying?

With a limitation op 40 fps and the most Display-settingsliders on 'dens'... I got an average of 18 fps in the VC and an average of 24 fps outside. However with my fps-setting on 'unlimited' and the same settingsliders I get 29 fps in the VC and 38 fps outside. Using a GA like the Bonanza the fps are extra rizing..

My conclusion.. with the GTX970... with fps on 'Unlimited' you don't have to upgrade a GTX9xx-card to fly reasanable smoothy. (I use a I7-6700k-16Gb)

Please try this too and leave a comment..

5 hours ago, mario340500 said:

I have 1080 and am contemplating getting a 1080TI but not sure if it worth it. Please would you share you System Specs - CPU / RAM / MB  etc.. and your P3D or by "Max Settings" do you mean all P3Dv4 mased out ?

Regards,

M

I upgraded from a GTX 970. My experience with the 970 and V4 was good as long as I was willing to compromise. 

I.e. 

With the GTX970 I was never able to use SSAA 8X. The VLOG I made I was using had SSAA 8X. 

Also traffic could never be above 10% as well as using DSR was also taxing. Shadows were also taxing and could never have them cast on buildings and vegetation from the clouds. I always had issues with the TFDI 717 going into NYC or ATL. Load times on the textures always were very noticeable.

So was it useable? Absolutely but I had to be willing to compromise. If you can afford upgrading I say do it. It's the best experience I've had. 

I noticed some hickups on the test I did above but I was trying really hard to make it go wrong. I probably will use less AI and most likely will not use my Autogen at dense when flying to NYC. 

My specs. 

I7 6700K 4.8

16GB RAM 

PNY GTX 1080 Ti founders edition

250GB SSD (SIM) 

1TB 10K RPM (system)

Windows 10 64BIT

• Upvote 2

Signature.png

2 hours ago, warriorpilot said:

My specs. 

I7 6700K 4.8

16GB RAM 

PNY GTX 1080 Ti founders edition

250GB SSD (SIM) 

1TB 10K RPM (system)

Windows 10 64BIT

No one seems to mention screen resolution any more! It's so important when talking about GPU performance. What screen resolution are you using?

Also, what caused the light/dark line which moves along the taxiway at about 10 minutes into your video?

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

No one seems to mention screen resolution any more! It's so important when talking about GPU performance. What screen resolution are you using?

Also, what caused the light/dark line which moves along the taxiway at about 10 minutes into your video?

Apologies. I use 2X DSR so I was using 3500*1800 (Roughly) not at home to check the number. 

The dark line was being caused by the shadows on buildings. Im guessing the ground poly in the scenery was being rendered incorrectly. Turning off building shadows cast fixed the problem. 

Signature.png

3 hours ago, warriorpilot said:

Turning off building shadows cast fixed the problem. 

Good catch!

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

I'm running at 1920x1080.

To add to this, I'm running a I7 6700k at 4.6Ghz with 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz of memory and a 980Ti. Problem is I'm also running a 50in 4K TV for a monitor. With the settings I like in p3dv4 the 980Ti is at its limits as I use PMDG birds exclusively. Using the  TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and having most your GPU intense sliders to the right except autogen density set to dense and autogen draw only set to high. Shadows set to medium and DL on. 3D precipitation off. These settings drop the 980Ti to it's knees. Thus next week I'm upgrading to a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti. I expect with my I7 6700 and 64Gb of onboard memory and this card to get me where I want to be settings wise for quite some time to come. This will hopefully allow those autogen sliders to go further right.

Eric 

17 hours ago, B777ER said:

next week I'm upgrading to a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti.

Looking forward to your results Eric. I am currently using a 3gb 780GTX with a 4k TV. It works surprising well and I am able to maintain 30 FPS but I have to use moderate graphic sliders. Still looks great. I am planning on getting a 1080 ti mainly to allow me to increase my graphics settings. I am not expecting to get any more FPS from this upgrade. That was my experience when I went from a 285GTX to my current 780gtx, a little FPS increase but much better image quality. Rest of system is still a 3770k at 4.5 ghz and 8gb ram.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Ted, using a 780 GTX.. Can you add some more info? E.g. Your processor and.. what settings are in your opion the fps-killers in your system?

2 hours ago, theobrinkman said:

Ted, using a 780 GTX.. Can you add some more info? E.g. Your processor and.. what settings are in your opion the fps-killers in your system?

Theo, The processor is an Intel 3770k overclocked to 4.5 ghz and it has 8 gb of 2133 ram. Built in 2013 and still purring like a kitten. The main FPS killer for me and it appears others is AI Traffic. I run MyTrafficX at 10%. It has a huge impact in metropolitan areas like the LA basin that have lots of close airports. In remote areas I crank it up higher. The next are all the scenery detail sliders. Most settings are medium or dense on my system.

I do not use any of the dynamic lights or reflections, only have shadows enabled for the inside and exterior of the aircraft, and use MSAA at 8x. All of these settings I am hoping to be able to increase by going to a 1080ti. I also get a good performance hit with lots of clouds which again I hope a 1080ti will help with. I will be building a new system once I decide what processor I want to move to.

Under Tom Allensworth's picture at the top right side of this web page is a list of guides. The P3D guide is written by Ron Ainscough and is very good. In it he goes through every setting and lists for each one whether it impacts the CPU, GPU, or both. I think you will find this very helpful in getting your questions answered.

Ted 

• Upvote 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Just about to upgrade to a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1081 Ti OC 11GB, an Intel i7-7700K Kabylake 4.2 Gh 8MB CPU. and Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX memory. Will be running 3 monitors. Its going to cost just over $ Aus 2000, so I hope it will be worth it. I am planning on moving to  P3D V4.  Am running Windows 7 64- Bit

any thoughts, any comments welcome.

Neil

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

On 7/21/2017 at 3:23 PM, B777ER said:

To add to this, I'm running a I7 6700k at 4.6Ghz with 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz of memory and a 980Ti. Problem is I'm also running a 50in 4K TV for a monitor. With the settings I like in p3dv4 the 980Ti is at its limits as I use PMDG birds exclusively. Using the  TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=9 and having most your GPU intense sliders to the right except autogen density set to dense and autogen draw only set to high. Shadows set to medium and DL on. 3D precipitation off. These settings drop the 980Ti to it's knees. Thus next week I'm upgrading to a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti. I expect with my I7 6700 and 64Gb of onboard memory and this card to get me where I want to be settings wise for quite some time to come. This will hopefully allow those autogen sliders to go further right.

Did you get your new card? If so how do you like it? My system is close to yours and i,m thinking about a 1080TI also.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Davis

I7 6700k 4.7 ghz, gtx 1080ti , 16gb 3400 ram, 32’’ 2k monitor, 1TB ssd, 500gb ssd, 250gb ssd, h115 water cooler

UAL440.png