Sign in to follow this  
mikeglaz

Planning route with TOD

I'm playing around with planning my own route using SkyVector and comparing it to what PFPX outputs.  I managed to fly from Berlin to Milan the only problem was that I was above Milan airport at 41,000 ft.  Am I the one who's supposed to input a Top of Descent point or did I do something else wrong?

1 hour ago, mikeglaz said:

I'm playing around with planning my own route using SkyVector and comparing it to what PFPX outputs.  I managed to fly from Berlin to Milan the only problem was that I was above Milan airport at 41,000 ft.  Am I the one who's supposed to input a Top of Descent point or did I do something else wrong?

You probably didn't select an arrival or an approach so there was nothing with which the FMS to calculate a descent path.  No descent means no TOD.  Always check your arrival on the LEGs page at least 100 nm before destination.

Dan Downs KCRP

5 hours ago, mikeglaz said:

I've had real good luck calculating the TOD using an E6-B. :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

6 hours ago, mikeglaz said:

I recommend you fly the tutorial flight, it will get you up to speed on all the systems if you're not comfortable using them yet. 

For a rough calculation - take your altitude and multiply it by 3!  Keep in mind that this is for a constant decent profile but does provide some rough guidance for where your top of decent should be. 

Example: 40,000 feet. To descend to 1000 feet you would go 39,000x3=117,000. This would equate to  a TOD roughly 117nm back from your intended target altitude. Again, not an exact science but it should provide some guidance to you

• Upvote 1