Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Is there a utility that syncs view w/ turning?

Does ChasePlane offer the type of look control I described above, if so how well does it do it?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I would like to give ChasePlane a try but the cost of $39 to participate in the beta program is not appealing.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

For only a few dollars more (around $42 at the current exchange rate) you could buy a head tracking system complete with camera and everything you need to get going (including software) - see: https://www.trackhat.org/product-page/trackhat-clip-head-tracking-kit. However good an automated view control is, it's not going to be nearly as good, or precise as head tracking.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Without question head tracking is the way to go. The big trick is to use a rocker switch on your yoke to enable/disable and center the view. I use TrackIR and have a rocker mapped with f9 and f12. If I'm just flying around and looking at various things, I don't need the screen to be moving all the time. Quick flip and screen is frozen. Want to peer around the windscreen during a turn, lean in and look. Freeze it if you want, the possibilities are there and once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.

Just for example, say you wanted to take a good look at the overhead console in a heavy. You *could* just look up and freeze the view as you flick the switches, etc. An easier way - look down - hit the center button and look straight ahead - freeze - your head is levek and the OH panel is in full view. Quick center again and you are back to normal. Took me longer to type that than it takes to do.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Sounds like it's worth looking into for me thanks.   As long as it doesn't end up being more trouble than it's worth since as I say I bounce in and out of my seat often enough.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Ah yes, head tracking, I remember that... looking out the corner of your eye, keeping your head perfectly still otherwise and constantly resetting your "center".

If you grow tired of that give ChasePlane a try and set up 2 camera's that look left and right as desired, connected to a hotkey or button, or just turn on "anticipation".

Matthew S

2 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Ah yes, head tracking, I remember that... looking out the corner of your eye, keeping your head perfectly still otherwise and constantly resetting your "center".

If you grow tired of that give ChasePlane a try and set up 2 camera's that look left and right as desired, connected to a hotkey or button, or just turn on "anticipation".

I can imagine that might be an issue.  Now what exactly does 'anticipation' do?

Noel

Can TrackIR work with WideFS, or does it only operate on the computer that P3D is on?

Mike A.

14 hours ago, MatthewS said:

That doesn't have to be a problem. I don't use TrackIR so can't comment on that, but with OpenTrack it's easy to adjust the ratio between how much you turn your head to how much the view moves. You have mapping curves which you can customise so that if you wanted a slow, small view change for initial head movement but progressively larger view changes as you move your head further, that's easy to do. The only time I even approach looking out of the corner of my eye is when I want the view to look behind me (180 degrees from the normal front view), and even then it's not uncomfortable. You just adjust it to what's comfortable for you. As far as centring goes, it doesn't drift so once initially centred it doesn't need doing again unless you disable it or take the clip off - and even then it's just a quick button press. The centring is also useful if you want to move your eye position in the cockpit to give a better inside or outside view. Also, remember that you get a full 6 degrees of freedom so as well as left/right (yaw), up/down (pitch) and rotate left/right (roll) views, you also get sideways and vertical movement (so you can look over or around the panel for a better view of the runway) and forwards/backwards movement to zoom into the panel or switches. These can all be turned off individually as required. The adjustable filters in OpenTrack damp out any very small movements so you don't have to keep your head perfectly still - a bit like an optical image stabiliser in a camera.

Like Vic, I have mapped joystick buttons to disable or centre the head tracker if I want a fixed panel view (for example, for an instrument approach) or I leave the room for any reason. It's easy to set things up as you want them and affordable if you go the TrackClip route - even cheaper if you make it yourself!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

14 hours ago, MatthewS said:

These problems only exist if you choose to set up your profile that way.

Gents, w/ TrackIR is it possible to assign a middle mouse button to disable tracking and center the view?

Noel

Noel,

You can use the middle mouse button as a hotkey, but you cannot set the same hotkey for both the 'Center' and 'Pause' actions.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Thank you Maarten,

It seems you may be suggesting users often use middle mouse for Center, yes?  Makes sense.  So assign Pause to another key I guess is he solution.

Noel

Hi Noel,

No, I don't think so. Most users will use joystick buttons to control TrackIR. Default hotkeys are F12 for Center and F9 for Pause.

Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg