Noel

Is there a utility that syncs view w/ turning?

That might be a little ambiguous so what I'm looking for is something that as you for example start veering leftwards during taxi your forward view pans nicely to the left just ahead of your actual direction at that moment like you would do in the real world.  It is very unnatural to have your view stuck at straight forward.  It would be important NOT to have it be a fixed and rigid pan but instead a soft sort of floating pan simulating what you might actually do while doing this in the real world.  I use mouse-look now so I will do this with the mouse but seems like it could be automated and done just right.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes . OPUS camera system does just that both while taxing and in the air.

Its called dynamic head movement and its automatic when checked

Thanks zmak, I googled that and ended up reading that its motion is too robotic, whereas Ezdok 2.0 is more natural, so at least there are some options.

Im not a big fan of it especially when climbing or descending when a bank takes your vision away from the instruments as your view is forced out the window into the turn

Hi Noël,

it might be worth having a look at ChasePlane as well.

Maarten

31 minutes ago, zmak said:

Im not a big fan of it especially when climbing or descending when a bank takes your vision away from the instruments as your view is forced out the window into the turn

For sure, but Isn't the degree of pan configurable?

Why not several seperate views connected to one wide view ...?

I know when I drive my car and need to make a right hand turn my head turns to the right to see where I'm going so that is what I would like to simulate w/ just my one 3440x1440 display and I'd be real happy with just solving this one piece.  

9 minutes ago, Noel said:

For sure, but Isn't the degree of pan configurable?

Even the smallest amount when on approach would direct you away from your instruments at the most crucial time. And what's the point of panning away at 5 degrees? May as well use the joystick hat manually. 

I suggested a hot key to disable it during criticall times but nothing became of it. 

However once your on auto pilot then it's very cool to look into turns but again you can't just enable disable with opus software 

I get that effect just fine with trackir. Depending on what a/c I'm flying the view can be excellent or limited but still good. Just have to get used to leaning in a tad.

Vic

• Upvote 1

I agree with Vic - get a head tracker. Whilst TrackIR is the most well-known, there are other options which cost a fraction of the price and work just as well. OpenTrack is freeware which works with either a home-built IR cap/clip or a commercially available item. Even with the commercial IR source and a suitable webcam, you're still looking at less than half the price of TrackIR.

• Upvote 1

Noel - I understand what you want to accomplish but I don't think that would work. If the views were synched - with what? The yoke? The ailerons? See my point? With mouse look, the pan switch or a head tracker, you can look and return to straight ahead. With something linked to the view, you'd be flying in a direction you are not looking at. Could really be more problem than it's worth.

Vic

I agree with the TrackIR or other head-tracking suggestions.  Any kind of automatic head movements are frequently going to end up not looking exactly where you want to look, based on what you're doing.

Meanwhile, with head-tracking, you can effortlessly and naturally shift your viewpoint and angle just as you do in the real world.  There's a tiny learning curve due to the way head-tracking amplifies your movements, but you should be able to adapt to it in just minutes.

TrackIR has been the #1 add-on of my entire flight-sim experience for making simulation more like reality.

57 minutes ago, Noel said:

I know when I drive my car and need to make a right hand turn my head turns to the right to see where I'm going so that is what I would like to simulate w/ just my one 3440x1440 display and I'd be real happy with just solving this one piece.  

A car isn't 3 dimensional. There is never a time you wouldn't look into a turn in a car. Flying however being yanked away from your instrument panel can be disastrous 

2 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Noel -  If the views were synched - with what? The yoke? The ailerons? See my point?  Vic

Nope, that is exactly what I'd want, with the yoke I'm assuming as it's X axis is assigned to ailerons and I have auto-rudder enabled.  The degree of look would be configurable but generally equate to the more the yoke is turned the farther the turned view, w/ some scaling/acceleration to set it where it would work the best.   As the yoke returns to neutral so does the look.  This is what my head does when I steer my care.  You would still want the ability to snap back to forward view at synced with that would be cancellation of the effect until perhaps you got back to straight ahead +/- a few degrees.  Just would need to be not robotic, i.e., needs to be more floaty, more natural.  Mouse look is robotic.

2 hours ago, zmak said:

A car isn't 3 dimensional. There is never a time you wouldn't look into a turn in a car. Flying however being yanked away from your instrument panel can be disastrous 

Yanked away, what 90 degrees suddenly?  Come on, have a little imagination!  And yes, an assignable cancellation/snap return view solves your worst concern in this regard.

Not sure what you mean. doesn't need to b 90 degrees, even 10 degrees will totally screw up an instrument approach.

even trying to keep a straight and level turn on a sunny day is difficult when your reference to the horizon is yanked away  and your now looking out into space at angle that you can not reference back to your instruments because...well....you cant see them !!

Never mind zmak!  Think DEAD ZONE!

22 hours ago, Noel said:

the more the yoke is turned the farther the turned view, 

As the yoke returns to neutral so does the look.

So, if you're slipping, you have to look sideways instead of straight ahead where you are actually going and need to look?

This is silly...  use head-tracking and just look wherever you want to look anytime you want to look.

Right now I use mouse-look.  If my hand can move the mouse, so can computer code, and it can be done 'just right', just like my hand does now.   Of course you need to build in scaling, dead-zones, snap-back to forward VC look capabilities, etc.  But as i say, if I can do this w/ my hand this can be duplicated w/ some code and can basically be synced steering on the ground or in the air, and even those two attributes can contribute to which scaling applies.   You might code it to ignore 'steering-look' if there is > x amount of slip, etc.   You  might code it to ignore 'steering-look' when the degree of turn is < x, etc.  I'm sure someone with a little imagination and trial and error could improve on mouse-look.

I think ChasePlane (CP) does and it's a great utility for switching camera angles/positions. Excellent for setting up VC views and there are dozens of preconfigured cameras available from the community which can be downloaded directly in CP with preview!

• Upvote 1

I still don't quite understand why TrackIR is not an acceptable solution to the problem of "I want to look in the direction I'm going..." (if my understanding of the problem of this topic is somewhat correct).

With TrackIR you just turn your head and look. It's that simple, and it is a very flexible and natural solution...

13 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

I still don't quite understand why TrackIR is not an acceptable solution to the problem of "I want to look in the direction I'm going..." (if my understanding of the problem of this topic is somewhat correct).

With TrackIR you just turn your head and look. It's that simple, and it is a very flexible and natural solution...

Depends, if your flying long haul then TRACK IR can be annoying.. But if your in heavy weather looking for a remote strip in Alaska then it's a winner. 

38 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

Thanks I'll look a little more into it.  I was hoping to avoid adding any new hardware, headsets, anything like that, but still it sounds like it might be worth a look.

24 minutes ago, zmak said:

Depends, if your flying long haul then TRACK IR can be annoying..

I can see that for sure because quite frankly I'm always bouncing in and out of my seat leaving the room, and come back in 20 minutes to an hour to do whatever needs done.  I use FSCaptain.

• Upvote 1