Sign in to follow this  
Misha_K

Payware MD80 recommendations

What should I get? Flight1? Eaglesoft? I am very happy with the SGA model, so the Eaglesoft panel is tempting due to its low price. How is the functionality comparison? I don't much care for VCs.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,I have 3 of them:LAGO: Very goodFlight1: Needs definately a patch (they are working on it) but has a lot of potentialMDSuper80: Way too expensive, waste of moneyEaglesoft: Don't have it, but it is limited in it's capabilities compared to the others (as far as I know)Depending on what type of MD80 you would like (analogue or glass cockpit) Flight1 or LAGO is your best bet.

I have the Flight1/Coolsky MD80 and can definitely recommend it if what you want is an early version of the MD with limited area navigation capabilities. Support is also excellent (a new patch was released just yesterday) and of course there's Flight1's 30-day refund policy. As for the MDMax product, I see that they are offering a trial version now, so you might want to check it out yourself if you want an FMC-equipped Maddog.Brgds,Miltos

>Hi,>>I have 3 of them:>>LAGO: Very good>Flight1: Needs definately a patch (they are working on it) but>has a lot of potential>MDSuper80: Way too expensive, waste of money>Eaglesoft: Don't have it, but it is limited in it's>capabilities compared to the others (as far as I know)>>Depending on what type of MD80 you would like (analogue or>glass cockpit) Flight1 or LAGO is your best bet.Lonny's MD80 panel package has FIVE different panels to choose from. Now that's a value! ;)

I'd vote for the Lago-Maddog. Check out the review by real world SAS MD80 Captain Stellan Hilmerby :http://www.hilmerby.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=422He has also made a specific LAGO MD support forum, you can find a detailed description of an MD80 flight and the cockpit is explained in all details:http://www.hilmerby.com/md80/md_flying.htmlhttp://www.hilmerby.com/md80/md_cockpit.htmlIt's very, very nice.Mike

>Lonny's MD80 panel package has FIVE different panels to choose>from. Now that's a value! ;)>And which one is Lonny's MD80 package?

The EaglesoftPAS package. I believe the ad and link are in upper right corner here at Avsim.

All I can say is buy the MDMAX md80 it is much better than any other md-80. Have you ever heard of any msfs plane that if you dont use the anti ice corectly the engines could fail? And how many of these other md-80s have hot start and engine cooldown simulated realistically. How many have inteligent airframe icing simulation? How many have complete 100% hydraulic, fuel, and electric systems linked to everywhere they should be as on the real md-80 (like electrics and hyd press. is even linked to the airstairs). How many have a complete fmc? If you want a game dont get mdmax, if you want something cheap with average systems (kind of like the pss 777) than maybe MDMAX isnt for you, it runs smooth and has an incredible lighting system inside and out. And with the JCA md-80 it is simply the best.

Mike Iacovetta wrote: "...Have you ever heard of any msfs plane that if you dont use the anti ice corectly the engines could fail? And how many of these other md-80s have hot start and engine cooldown simulated realistically. How many have inteligent airframe icing simulation? How many have complete 100% hydraulic, fuel, and electric systems linked to everywhere they should be as on the real md-80 (like electrics and hyd press. is even linked to the airstairs)...."I hope this kind of system detail becomes standard in FSX, or at least a realism option.

One note that may be overlooked. Lonnys MD80 panels are built by someone who has FLOWN MD80's real world:-)

If I were you I'd go for the Eaglesoft panel with the SGA model. Very good value... :-)

Just a little "Lago" Warning...Based on the review in this thread on the Lago MD80 I decided to buy it. I ordered it off their (Lago) website on 3/7. Not sure what happened but after the sale went through but it went to a blank web page with no info on downloading or a serial number. I did get an email from the company that handles billing confirming my order and the charge went through to my CC. But still no info from Lago on how to download or activate.I emailed Lago 3 times for help over the last week and as of today no response to any of my emails... I guess my next step is to call the bank and have the CC charge reversed.Just wanted to share my Lago experience.

>What should I get? Flight1? Eaglesoft? I am very happy with>the SGA model, so the Eaglesoft panel is tempting due to its>low price. How is the functionality comparison? I don't much>care for VCs. There's no other MD80 in par with MDMax regarding systems complexity and fidelity, and general features. The price of the complete package (Base + FMS + detailed external model) is very high though (about 70$).Marco

Compared to thousands that you would need to buy an actual airline trainer, 70 is a bargain.

I'm tempted to reinstall my copy of Lago's MD 80 and upgrade it. Two questions:1) Is there a flight tutorial in English available somewhere?2) Do you have to pay for extra JCA liveries?ricardo

Hi Dillon,I glanced at the site concerning the MD-80 panel. I own several of the Eaglesoft craft and enjoy all of them. As to the MD-80 panel, I could not determine if it had VC. Does it have VC? Like you say "If it doesn't have a VC, I won't be flying it." Thanks,Carl

Eaglesoft only offers a 2D panel... :-) If you want a full VC may I recommend Flight1's Super80 (they also offer the DC9 which is an older add-on). The Super80 has been allot of fun with the latest patch, it has become one of my favorite airliners to fly as of late...

Dillon,I have been considering the MD but even the DC-9 looks good as well. I would think since the DC-9 is dated the MD-80 has more bells and whistles. My system has less processor power than yours so would be curious as to the frame rates on your system with MD.Thanks,CarlDell P4 8250 2.4gig 5900XT 128meg756 RDRAM120gig HDWindows XP-SP2

I get very good framerates with the patched Super80. The problem I have with the older DC9 is the VC isn't clickable (if I remember correctly some things might be but I uninstalled the bird quite some time ago). The DC9 has a very dated look in the VC compared to the Super80. The DC9 was a great product for me back in the days of FS2k2 so I guess the choice is yours... :-)