Sign in to follow this  
Ekaton

Delete the anachronistic radios

13 minutes ago, Ekaton said:

I see, it's a shame then. No way to do that through the panel config file either I guess?

Nope.

We'll make sure to have them remove them from the real V5-NCG, too :wink:

Without those radios, you'd be essentially unable to fly anywhere. The old ones are not only a pain to operate, but also don't include a Mode-C transponder, so...while I appreciate the nostalgia of the idea, one must keep in mind that balance should be struck.

45564%20V5-NCG%20Arnold%20Balledux%2004%

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Nope.

We'll make sure to have them remove them from the real V5-NCG, too :wink:

Without those radios, you'd be essentially unable to fly anywhere. The old ones are not only a pain to operate, but also don't include a Mode-C transponder, so...while I appreciate the nostalgia of the idea, one must keep in mind that balance should be struck.

45564%20V5-NCG%20Arnold%20Balledux%2004%

That is a remarkably clean flight deck for such an old aircraft. I've seen filthier 787s!

9 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

That's incredible, the owner must take good care of her (and polish that chrome daily!)

They did take rather good care of her, I think. There's a dedication to V5-NCG and Chris (the guy on the tug in the one pic) in the Intro. You may notice a memorial reference to him on our (strikingly similar to V5-NCG) livery as well.

EDIT: You can see it just above and behind the Douglas globe:

Gallery_2.jpg

Kyle Rodgers

Is there a way to get a refund on grounds like that? It really is a shame that this only comes with a modern cockpit when the plane is from the 1946.

42 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

You should see the outside

Wow, that's mint. Talk about taking care of The Ole Lady!!

15 minutes ago, DrStrangelove said:

Is there a way to get a refund on grounds like that? It really is a shame that this only comes with a modern cockpit when the plane is from the 1946.

No. Downloadable products are not refundable, and it's a little extreme to request a refund on those grounds even if they were. This plane is an exact replica of a currently flying vintage aircraft. I don't see what the issue is.

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

No. Downloadable products are not refundable, and it's a little extreme to request a refund on those grounds even if they were. This plane is an exact replica of a currently flying vintage aircraft. I don't see what the issue is.

+++1

Since the release of this vintage aircraft, I have read so many posts on this not being right, that not being correct, or I'd like to see this or that. Where were all these posters before Beta stage, instead of expecting PMDG to change the final release?

The product page lists the avionics that are supplied, so reading closely there is no mention about that a vintage avionics suite is included.

It´s a design decision, which we have to accept, and though I would have prefered a vintage avionics suite option, I can live with what we got.

But a realistic vintage avionics suite would have been possible.

It would probably not have been radios like those fitted when the DC-6B was build, but vintage 1960th Coms, Nav and radios could have been possible, had they decided to add them.

Even those allready being modelled, could have been "tweaked" to fit their purpose within P3D with the limitation we got there regarding available radio navigation aids and their frequency ranges.

But again... it´s a design decision that can live with.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

You know, I realize this is all about preference and taste, so I'm not trying to persuade anyone to think the way I do.  But FWIW, I have to say that I really like the fact that the 6 is set up to be a vintage airplane working in modern airspace.  Given that FSX and P3D are modern airspace simulators (and that neither has a Cal Classics-style retro option), it's a refreshing change to be able to fly something with the right equipment, and that feels like it's a revenue generator, not an airshow queen or an airplane that's ported in, Twilight-Zone style, from some other era.   Am happy to operate it from secondary airports, and in out-of-the-way places.  This is a personal thing, and I may well be in the minority.  Contributing factor - I have a personal connection, fairly remote but still there, to a noteworthy 1960 airline accident.  So for me, nostalgia isn't what it used to be.  YMMV, but I wanted to give PMDG my own shout-out for their design choice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrStrangelove said:

Hahahaha

Funny men!

• Upvote 1

Plus one on modern radios switch-off function. I'd prefer a simple 2D popup to dial the frequencies over the 3D models of 80's avionic.

As it was already said, simulating vintage real ops is the goal here, not flying some hangar queen which comes out only now and then.

• Upvote 1

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

Forget the radios, forget ATC, use a bubble sextant & a bit of deduced reckoning... :dry: :emu_melk:

I know this is PMDG's closest DC-6 competitor (the good-looking A2A Connie), but it's of a similar era..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

ATC? You mean FS ATC? Never used that.

I flew the 377 across the pont a few times and one time around the earth with use of the weatherships, the Connie will follow.. and the DC-6 as well, now that the gauge is also available for her.
It's just the feel of the era that's not true, nothing more, nothing less.

• Upvote 3

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team