Sign in to follow this  
thydney1970

PMDG flying with flightplans

I have a question when creating/flying with flightplans and using the P3D ATC communication. Is it necessary to load the same flightplan in P3D as loaded in the FMC for getting correct ATC guidance???

This would also mean that when I'm creating a flightplan via PFPX or FSC, that I have to store that flight in the PMDG and also in the P3D format to get accurate and correct ATC guidance. To my understanding, if I don't load the same flight in P3D too, ATC would guide my probably on another route. Is this correct or do I missunderstand here something ? 

It's a general question for me to get the best experience with P3D. It is a long time ago since I flew with an airliner in FSX and I have my first airliner flight with P3D ahead of me ;-) PMDG 737NGX vor P3Dv4 is purchased and installed, but I'm still study all the manuals...

Thank you very much for your support and I'm looking forward hearing from you.

kind regards

34 minutes ago, thydney1970 said:

I have a question when creating/flying with flightplans and using the P3D ATC communication. Is it necessary to load the same flightplan in P3D as loaded in the FMC for getting correct ATC guidance???

This would also mean that when I'm creating a flightplan via PFPX or FSC, that I have to store that flight in the PMDG and also in the P3D format to get accurate and correct ATC guidance. To my understanding, if I don't load the same flight in P3D too, ATC would guide my probably on another route. Is this correct or do I missunderstand here something ? 

It's a general question for me to get the best experience with P3D. It is a long time ago since I flew with an airliner in FSX and I have my first airliner flight with P3D ahead of me ;-) PMDG 737NGX vor P3Dv4 is purchased and installed, but I'm still study all the manuals...

Thank you very much for your support and I'm looking forward hearing from you.

kind regards

I've personally never used the default ATC but I'd imagine I would be so. I'll let other users who know more about this than I do give you a definitive answer.

FWIW, I too use PFPX to generate my flightplans. Ordinarily, like John, I eschew using the default ATC, but if the need comes up for me to integrate the default ATC to guide me flight, I then use the option within PFPX to save the flightplan to the FSX placeholder for such flightplans, and then use the drop-down menu in FSX to open those plans and it then can be used by the default ATC.

Hope this helps.

If you don't load the flight plan in P3D format then the default ATC won't give you any guidance at all - without a plan filed it would just treat you as VFR with no specific destination (Much like flying in real life or VATSIM/Pilotedge, you have to file a plan to get useful service)

Personally I always have PFPX generate the plan in FSX/P3D's default format every time - it means I've got a version that's readable for multiple purposes, since it's also used by other programs such as Radar Contact if you use that for ATC

Mark Fox

Short answer, don't use the default ATC.  Longer answer:  Even with the flightplan, terminal procedures are not going to be in the default navigation database so just when you want ATC it fails to work as expected.  At least the addon ATC programs don't rely on the default data.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Is there any better ATC solution for IFR and VFR purposes to use with P3Dv4 which is as same easy to use and handle as the default ATC in P3D?

14 minutes ago, thydney1970 said:

Is there any better ATC solution for IFR and VFR purposes to use with P3Dv4 which is as same easy to use and handle as the default ATC in P3D?

Personally I'd say there's nothing wrong with using the default ATC while you're getting started.  All the third party programs are A) an additional purchase and B) An extra thing to learn on top of getting used to flying your airliner.

Worry about third party programs later, they've all got there own quirks and not a single one of them other than flying online will offer a full accurate service including taxi guidance AND terminal procedures.

Admittedly the default ATC won't deal with SIDs or STARs (although there are workarounds for flying a SID) you just need to accept that it'll always give you vectors to landing rather than a STAR.  If you fly with AI traffic the default ATC is also the only one that will properly interact with them as well, so I'd say start there and look at adding third party programs once you actually know which features you want out of them

Mark Fox

I haven't used ATC (default or otherwise) in such a long time. Use simbrief, and create or change a saved flightplan from there. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I use FSAerodata to keep the FSX/P3D nav data up to date with the current AIRAC cycle, and then use either real world plans pulled from FlightAware or create my own with Little Navmap. Since the plans are created with up to data nav data I can plug it into the FMC as well as use the default ATC. 

It's worth noting that if you've generated the plan with something like PFPX, it doesn't matter if the built in navdata is up to date or not - the ATC system doesn't look for the intersections by name, it uses an absolute coordinate that's inserted into the plan by PFPX.

The inbuilt navdata is only really of consequence if you want to try and edit the route using the built in route planner, if anything I'd say updating the default navdata can actually cause problems in some cases (since it wasn't designed to expect changes to be made by end users, it's something of a hack)

Mark Fox