Sign in to follow this  
rabulafia

FAIL TO START ENGINES - OIL T value 11

Hi

Have I loaded within P3DV4 the panel state COLD AND DARK, loaded the fuel, did everything as the procedure but the OIL T show a value of 11 and cannot start any of the 4 engines. Any clue?

thanks in advanced

Hi,

The oil temperature should not prevent an engine start. According to the FCOM, you would perform a normal start in cold weather.

What exactly happens when you say the engines don't start? (And to rule out any other cause, you have shut off the packs, right?)

You may try to crank the engines for some time before injecting the fuel, but I'm not sure whether this will rise the oil temperature, I have not tested that.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the help. The pack ARE OFF as the procedure indicates, engines cutted off, just follow the normal startup engines procedure, but the knob light won´t go on (white) and the OIL T shows a eleven (11) value with no startup engine.

I guess, that, using GSX maybe the procedure is delayed with the APU running more than 10/20 minutes before the engines startup. Are you aware about oil consuming form the APU?

Thanks in advanced,

R

I have flown the 747-400 several times in FSX-SE and never seen that oil temperature warning. But then, I opted for No Failures.

Have you got Failures Activated? If you have, try disabling them and then try an engine start-up procedure.

59 minutes ago, rabulafia said:

The pack ARE OFF as the procedure indicates, engines cutted off, just follow the normal startup engines procedure, but the knob light won´t go on (white) and the OIL T shows a eleven (11) value with no startup engine.

Not sure which configuration you have for the plane that you're flying, but if it has auto-start capability, you hit the starter, then you flip the fuel cut-off switch, and then it'll start.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

1 hour ago, rabulafia said:

Thanks for the reply and the help. The pack ARE OFF as the procedure indicates, engines cutted off, just follow the normal startup engines procedure, but the knob light won´t go on (white) and the OIL T shows a eleven (11) value with no startup engine.

You're confusing non-Autostart, and Autostart-equipped planes.

Autostart requires that you place the fuel cutoff to ON. Non-autostart requires that you introduce fuel on your own.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks to all for the reply,

@Scandinavian -> What do you mean by autostart? the fuel cutoff it is off. I guess that is ok before pulling the enginges knobs.

No failures so far configured.

Any help?

thanks

2 minutes ago, rabulafia said:

@Scandinavian -> What do you mean by autostart? the fuel cutoff it is off. I guess that is ok before pulling the enginges knobs.

Please read the Intro Manual - all options are described there, along with the discussion that these options are different for each livery that you download. This is what is tripping you up.

Autostart is a function in the real aircraft that simplifies the start procedure. Some aircraft have it. Some don't. This is simulated in the 744 that you have installed on your computer. You have been using an aircraft that does not have autostart long enough to have gotten used to it, so you're expecting to pull on that knob and have it light up. You then wait for the engine to spin up and then go down and hit the fuel switch.

You cannot use this procedure on an aircraft that does have autostart. For those aircraft, you pull the knob and then flip the fuel switch (without waiting for the knob to light up, or the engine to spin up).

Kyle Rodgers

@Scandinavian -> Thanks for the kind reply and explanation. Althought that, I have the livery of Aerolineas Argentinas which was made for the ER version which I used to use and follow exactly the same procedure in FSXSE until I bought the PD34 version three days ago and came up with this issue. Again, I have followed exactly the same procedures that I used to within FSXSE which is based on the ER version.

I will follow your suggestion and see what happens, not sure again what the problem is and if the OIL T value nor the APU is affecting the startup. DO the CONT engine button should be ON or OFF? Thanks

Autostart is an option on the airplane that assists with the engine start. There is a different start procedure for autostart, and non-autostart equipped aircraft. You can see PMDG Aircraft options to see what you have.

• Upvote 1

ok ...but in both cases with the knob and the enging cuttoff in ON the engine should start, thats correct?

@Scandinavian -> Thanks for the kind reply and explanation. Althought that, I have the livery of Aerolineas Argentinas which was made for the ER version which I used to use and follow exactly the same procedure in FSXSE until I bought the PD34 version three days ago and came up with this issue. Again, I have followed exactly the same procedures that I used to within FSXSE which is based on the ER version.

Based on what you're experiencing, I'm going to press back and argue that you're doing something differently, or you're getting confused between planes, or something.

I will follow your suggestion and see what happens, not sure again what the problem is and if the OIL T value nor the APU is affecting the startup. DO the CONT engine button should be ON or OFF? Thanks

CONTinuous ignition is unrelated to engine start.

ok ...but in both cases with the knob and the enging cuttoff in ON the engine should start, thats correct?

Nope. We've modeled realistic starts, so if you do not set things properly, they may not start, or may start extremely slowly.

Throw out everything you know about starting engines. Imagine you have no idea how to start the engines at all, and let's start fresh:

If the plane has AUTOSTART:

• Look down by the throttle levers and set the fuel control to RUN
  • Look up at the overhead and pull the starter out to begin the engine start

If the plane does NOT have AUTOSTART:

• Look up at the overhead and pull the starter out to begin the engine start
  • Monitor the engine parameters while the engine starts
  • After N2 reaches the magenta line (or spins up to a value that doesn't change for a second or two), set the fuel control to RUN

To determine if the plane has autostart or not, you can look at the overhead. There will be 4 autostart switches on the Pratt-engined planes, above the IRS knobs. There will be an AUTOSTART button for the others, right by the start knobs. If you don't see the 4 switches in Pratt-engined planes, or the AUTOSTART button on the others, then you don't have autostart. Use the above procedures, as appropriate.

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers