Sign in to follow this  
snapshot21

RealLight by TFDi Design

Welp, some forum-goers don't find it realistic or pertinent, time to remove it again TFDi. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:53 PM, captain420 said:

too many apps that do the same thing, this reminds me of FSLabs Spotlight.

Huh? FSL Spotlights is the only lighting addon that simmers can buy and use in all products. Ours is a technology for other developers to license and use, and functions entirely differently.

12 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but this looks like cockpit flood lighting which is generally only used on the ground or briefly in flight. Most of the time in flight the panels and switches in the real world are back-lit. The RealLight effect is impressive but would be unrealistic for most of a flight at night.

11 hours ago, Flic1 said:

I mentioned the same thing a few days ago.  Flood lights only matter on the ground, you don't fly around at night with them on....but I guess in the sim world you can do whatever you like!:huh:  The question would be... have the rest of the night lighting issues been fixed?  I hangared the 717 a few days after buying it in January and have not messed with the beta at all for P3Dv4. One of the big issues was the lack of panel backlighting...or shall I say it was not nearly bright enough to be functional for a night flight. 

I'm sort of confused as to what the issue is that you guys are talking about. Are you saying that because you would only use these lights on the ground, we shouldn't have them at all and it's unrealistic for them to exist? Just a reminder, we did recreate a real aircraft - we didn't make up fictional lights.

There has also been backlighting since release in December. Not sure what exactly you're referring to?

• Upvote 1

Brandon Filer

So are these shadows dynamic, because they appear to be static from the videos I've seen online.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I am interested but would like to see a video showing variable dimming. And yes, it is amazing, that some would ask you to delete even though it is also on the real aircraft. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

3 minutes ago, captain420 said:

So are these shadows dynamic, because they appear to be static from the videos I've seen online.

They are static. RealLight still uses textures like before, but is rendered using newer technology. We had hoped to be able to use dynamic lights in Prepar3D v4 in the cockpit. However, their brightness cannot be controlled by code and they cast no shadows.

Just now, warbirds said:

I am interested but would like to see a video showing variable dimming. And yes, it is amazing, that some would ask you to delete even though it is also on the real aircraft. 

RealLight has variable dimming just as the cockpit lighting from the original release had, however it is much clearer now. The preview video in the first post on this thread shows both variable flood lights going from off to full bright. You can also likely find some videos by others on YouTube.

Brandon Filer

36 minutes ago, HughesMDflyer4 said:

Are you saying that because you would only use these lights on the ground, we shouldn't have them at all and it's unrealistic for them to exist?

No, not at all. Whilst attractive, it just seems like a lot of effort for something which will only realistically be used for a short time each flight.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

stop complaining, this aircraft is one of the best on the market and the lightning is new and great, TFDI support and maintaining there software is excellent!!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HughesMDflyer4 said:

I'm sort of confused as to what the issue is that you guys are talking about. Are you saying that because you would only use these lights on the ground, we shouldn't have them at all and it's unrealistic for them to exist? Just a reminder, we did recreate a real aircraft - we didn't make up fictional lights.

There has also been backlighting since release in December. Not sure what exactly you're referring to?

The issue where the integrated panel backlighting turned off way too early at sunrise and came on too late at sunset. It was very difficult to see anything on the overhead panel, etc during these times and overall it was too dim even at night.  There were numerous discussions on your forums about it and how it would be hard to fix.  Are you saying that we should use the dome light during these times instead? Just tying to clarify. If the panel light issue has already been fixed...my apologies. 

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

2 hours ago, Flic1 said:

The issue where the integrated panel backlighting turned off way too early at sunrise and came on too late at sunset. It was very difficult to see anything on the overhead panel, etc during these times and overall it was too dim even at night.  There were numerous discussions on your forums about it and how it would be hard to fix.  Are you saying that we should use the dome light during these times instead? Just tying to clarify. If the panel light issue has already been fixed...my apologies. 

This was fixed some time ago, however there's a tradeoff for the old lighting system, and it is that the textures rendered more blotchy than before. It is for that reason that we created the RealLight system to render textures much clearer.

Brandon Filer

3 hours ago, HughesMDflyer4 said:

This was fixed some time ago, however there's a tradeoff for the old lighting system, and it is that the textures rendered more blotchy than before. It is for that reason that we created the RealLight system to render textures much clearer.

Good to hear, thanks for the response...the RealLights do look very nice!

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I did watch the video but the dim to bright was so fast that I really did not get a sense of what it would look like at lower settings. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Can I say unlike some on this forum I own the aircraft . First release of lighting did not work at dawn / dusk I moaned . They improved this but textures went to hell I moaned more and asked to go back.

The new lighting system is fine dimmable and can be set fine both ground ops and night flying . Congrats on TFDI for listening and sorting . Only thing I could now do with is a torch to find switches in dark I normally do some time travelling to get battery and ground power on but that goes for all payware aircraft on the market. Hopefully LM will add some day does exist in xplane I believe.

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d