Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Scenery not found...when scenery compiles...

Recommended Posts

Hi all, read tutorials...wanted to put the following into my FSW:

But, when I run FSW, it doesn't crash, but comes up with Scenery Not Found for each of these areas.  Does anybody see something wrong here with the syntax...or I have omitted?  Thanks!

 

Help will be appreciated!

[Area.126]
Title=@IDS_AREA126_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_PWS_Vol_1
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.128]
Title=@IDS_AREA128_PWS_Vol_2
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_2
Layer=128
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.129]
Title=@IDS_AREA129_PWS_Vol_3
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_3
Layer=129
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.130]
Title=@IDS_AREA130_PWS_Vol_4
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_4
Layer=130
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Title=@IDS_AREA131_PWS_Vol_5
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_5
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.132]
Title=@IDS_AREA132_LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Layer=132
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well..I don't see anything wrong in my scenery.cfg syntax entries...but FSW states that it can not find the scenery...so stumped until some one who has successfully had scenery show up...tells me what seems wrong...

Post Edit: I think that I figured it out....the scenery I wish to install, is 32 bit. FSW is 64 bit. Not compatible?  Probably...

Sim does not crash, just tells me that it can not 'find' the scenery, in the path that it is accepting...'but' can't find anything to read....(32 bit files?)

Bummer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody needs to reply. You can't use any FSX based scenery, that is more than very simple .BGL files.   That is the problem.  Nothing wrong...but tried to feed FSW, something that it can't parse...

If you have very rudimentary and simple scenery that has no SODE or .dll files....like UK1000 or whatever it is...than yes, you can port it over....but any other more involved elements...and you are SOOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is another cfg file in hidden AppData or SteamAppData directory. I think they have to match. If you highlight your root directory through explorer and search for scenery.cfg you should be able to find and edit. You can also type %Appdata% into the Cortana search field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Hi all, read tutorials...wanted to put the following into my FSW:

But, when I run FSW, it doesn't crash, but comes up with Scenery Not Found for each of these areas.  Does anybody see something wrong here with the syntax...or I have omitted?  Thanks!

 

Help will be appreciated!
 

You've just got the @IDS_AREA numbers out of sequence, here's what they should be:

[Area.126]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA122_PWS_Vol_1
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.128]
Title=@IDS_AREA123_PWS_Vol_2
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_2
Layer=128
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.129]
Title=@IDS_AREA124_PWS_Vol_3
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_3
Layer=129
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.130]
Title=@IDS_AREA125_PWS_Vol_4
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_4
Layer=130
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Title=@IDS_AREA126_PWS_Vol_5
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_5
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.132]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Layer=132
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, A32xx said:

You've just got the @IDS_AREA numbers out of sequence, here's what they should be:

[Area.126]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA122_PWS_Vol_1
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.128]
Title=@IDS_AREA123_PWS_Vol_2
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_2
Layer=128
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.129]
Title=@IDS_AREA124_PWS_Vol_3
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_3
Layer=129
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.130]
Title=@IDS_AREA125_PWS_Vol_4
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_4
Layer=130
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Title=@IDS_AREA126_PWS_Vol_5
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_5
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.132]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Layer=132
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

OH....OK...I'll try again...thanks!  I thought the area had to match the layer!  

Post Edit: Unfortunately, with correcting as you show here...still within FSW,  it tells me it can't find the scenery....jeez...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

OH....OK...I'll try again...thanks!  I thought the area had to match the layer!  

It does! You've got that part right, it's the Title=@IDS_AREA numbers I've highlighted in red which you need to change in your config.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A32xx said:

It does! You've got that part right, it's the Title=@IDS_AREA numbers I've highlighted in red which you need to change in your config.

Yep..understood what you wanted me to do...and still FSW claims it can't find the scenery in the Add On folder...!!!!   

I merely captured what you corrected, and then pasted it back into my scenery.cfg file...placed the scenery folders back into the Add On folder...and ran FSW. Same thing...can't find the scenery...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure the @IDS_AREA numbering is significant.  The areas I've added don't have a number in that line nor do some of the default entries plus the stock scenery.cfg has:

[Area.126]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AOB said:

There is another cfg file in hidden AppData or SteamAppData directory. I think they have to match.

As far as my experiments go the scenery.cfg file that is used by the program is in "C:\ProgramData\Dovetail Games\FSW".  The other two, one in "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Dovetail Games\FSW" and the other in "......\Steam\steamapps\common\FSW" seem to be the original default files and don't need to be edited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yep..understood what you wanted me to do...and still FSW claims it can't find the scenery in the Add On folder...!!!!   

I merely captured what you corrected, and then pasted it back into my scenery.cfg file...placed the scenery folders back into the Add On folder...and ran FSW. Same thing...can't find the scenery...

Just a thought - do your scenery folder titles have underscores in them like your config file entries? If not, change your config entries to match the folder titles:

Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key_West_V2

Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key West V2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my Config for FreeMeshX and I get no errors, maybe it will help... haven't messed with FSX scenery.  Not ther "AREA121" number never changes.

[Area.126]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Patches
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.129]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Africa
Layer=129
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.130]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Antarctica
Layer=130
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Asia
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Australia and Oceania
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.132]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Europe
Layer=132
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.133]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-North America
Layer=133
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.134]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-South and Central America
Layer=134
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
 

Edited by theohall65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AndyUK said:

As far as my experiments go the scenery.cfg file that is used by the program is in "C:\ProgramData\Dovetail Games\FSW".  The other two, one in "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Dovetail Games\FSW" and the other in "......\Steam\steamapps\common\FSW" seem to be the original default files and don't need to be edited.

That's what I've found too - I wonder what they're there for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

Not sure the @IDS_AREA numbering is significant.  The areas I've added don't have a number in that line nor do some of the default entries and the stock scenery.cfg has:

[Area.126]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

I just try them all then with 121 as the IDS area number see if that blows by... :)  Thanks for all the help...would love to have the Caribbean back into this sim...

If it works, I'll be sure to let every one know...!

3 minutes ago, A32xx said:

Just a thought - do your scenery folder titles have underscores in them like your config file entries? If not, change your config entries to match the folder titles:

Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key_West_V2

Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key West V2

No, there were no underscores, actually...but saw that all the other entries do..so tried that...I just took Key West out and put all of the scenery files into the in-house scenery folder inside the Add On..and the same for textures...am going to try that next...if it picks up..then there is some disconnect in it not seeing the folders...but..funny.every time the message comes up..it DOES reference the folder name..blah, blah..can't find the scenery.  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, theohall65 said:

This is my Config for FreeMeshX and I get no errors, maybe it will help... haven't messed with FSX scenery
 

Thanks Theo, that's interesting... the @IDS_AREA numbers must relate to the Scenery Library entries, when there is one in FSW of course!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think FSW found the scenery files in the generic scenery and texture folder of Add On...but FSW crashed in trying to load in LatinVFR's key west, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GOT it!   What I did, was merely add ALL of the five scenery folder files that were in each of the 5 PNW folders, for the Caribbean,  and place them all, into the Add On\Scenery folder that is in the root directory. You know the ones...same as FSX...Scenery and Texture. All the scenery files for the whole series are all together in the ROOT level of the generic Scenery Folder.  Not, in 5 Scenery folders, merely copied over.

Here are the ships at Guadeloupe from the PNW series of scenery.  Not only that...but the boats are also animated!

20170813152053_1.jpg

So...now I have to figure out a way to actually FORCE FSW to see folders inside the Add On scenery root folder...where FSX and P3D picks them up, no problem...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

Not sure the @IDS_AREA numbering is significant.  The areas I've added don't have a number in that line nor do some of the default entries

Further experimentation shows that @IDS_AREA isn't required in the Title= line, the scenery seems to load and show without it.  May be a good idea to keep using it though as there may be a use for it that I'm not aware of in the current version or in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

So...now I have to figure out a way to actually FORCE FSW to see folders inside the Add On scenery root folder...

Have you tried using the full path to the folders in question as you would if they were located outside the FSW folder structure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

Have you tried using the full path to the folders in question as you would if they located outside the FSW folder structure?

No, not yet..but here are some grabs from my first flight with the scenery installed. It looks amazing!  FSW is gonna rock, when all the dust settles...

...and can you run me through how you put that into your scenery.cfg ?  I mean, the system pathways...to those folders...

I now have the entire Carib as custom, same now as in my FSX and P3D!  Wow...this is exciting, guys 'n gals!

20170813153346_1.jpg

20170813153441_1.jpg

20170813153755_1.jpg

20170813153810_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that want all of PWS's fabulous and entire (five folder series of the islands...) quick n' dirty...

Just download all five zips...and place all of the files from those five folders (Scenery) into the Add On (root Scenery Folder)...place all of the five scenery folder contents into the one root Scenery Folder...and you will be good to go.  Place yourself in one of the two airports I show...and have a blast exploring your new, detailed Caribbean-Wide, scenery.  You can figure out how to add other scenery, later...I guess the proper way..but this works for the Carib as shown!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a few more of the now installed PWS series for the Carib...just to show you it can be accepted by FSW and used...!

20170813155243_1.jpg

20170813155300_1.jpg

20170813155311_1.jpg

20170813155333_1.jpg

20170813155351_1.jpg

20170813155632_1.jpg

20170813155650_1.jpg

20170813155753_1.jpg

20170813160136_1.jpg

20170813160219_1.jpg

20170813160405_1.jpg

20170813160658_1.jpg

20170813160714_1.jpg

20170813160745_1.jpg

20170813160814_1.jpg

20170813160852_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

...and can you run me through how you put that into your scenery.cfg ?  I mean, the system pathways...to those folders...

I've got my copy of FSW installed on drive L: so for example where you had:

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_PWS_Vol_1
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

I'd try:

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_PWS_Vol_1
Local=L:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSW\Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Obviously you'll need to change the part before steamapps\common\FSW\Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1 to reflect where you've got FSW installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

I've got my copy of FSW installed on drive L: so for example where you had:

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_PWS_Vol_1
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

I'd try:

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_PWS_Vol_1
Local=L:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSW\Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Obviously you'll need to change the part before steamapps\common\FSW\Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1 to reflect where you've got FSW installed.

Thanks for all of this, Andy...thank you...will try all and everything, and report back what flawlessy worked.  As you can see above...the rendering if just great. What new life it adds to FSW's Carib!

I'm going to remove all the files from the Addon Scenery\Scenery Folder, and then add the proper .cfg's as you show here...but with my locations...and see if all five volumes get picked up.

Mitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Here's a few more of the now installed PNW series for the Carib...just to show you it can be accepted by FSW and used...!

 

The shorelines look nice. Might be something to look into. Flying GA VFR in the Carib on a sunny day with some puffy clouds...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this