Sign in to follow this  
Guest Keyser Soze

Interesting info for people who use AVG anit-virus software

Guest danowat

Seems that AVG did appalling badly in Feb's virus Bullitin Report.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106071.jpgOut of 28 products tested, only 4 passed with 100% detection rate, as you can see from the above table, AVG did badly, so please people, if you are using AVG consider changing to a more secure system.Not only will it protect yourself better, but will stop the spread of viruses and make everyone who you have in your address books lives easier.I post this here as I think that the majority of people only visit this "main" forum.Dan.

Guest DemolitionMan

yep,I can confirm how bad AVG is. Last week I set-up a DSL connection for some friends of mine. Until now they only had a modem connection, and were using AVG, but not regularly updating it (Some people never learn...), as they thought they were safe "cos we only go online twice a week" (!) :) Imagine my dismay, as I was checking the system after setting the DSL stuff up, as I saw that the computer was badly infected with all kinds of horrible things. Over 280 spyware progs, and 27 viruses, over 20 of them Trojan horses. The AVG program found all but 4 of the viruses admittedly, but couldn't kill them, not even manually! I ended up cleaning the computer with a test version of NOD32, which found all the viruses, including 4 that AVG missed, and killed them all too. I got rid of the spyware with the MS spyware program and webroot spysweeper.I used to use AVG a long time ago, but stopped using it as I noticed over a period of time how insecure it is, but looking at the results of the latests tests, they seem to have got worse instead of better!BestGrahame (EDHL)

Most tests are not conducted with out of date pattern files. I would be very surprised if that number reflects installations that were out of date. Kind of nullifies the findings if that were the case.

- Aaron

I had Norton, but removed it (THAT took a lot of work!) and noticed a definite improvement in FS performance as Norton gets its claws into everything. Switched to AVG. What is everyone's recommendation for a good AV without the performance hit that Norton seems to have?? Mike

Guest danowat

"What is everyone's recommendation for a good AV without the performance hit that Norton seems to have??"One word, NOD32, extremely fast and effective program, with 100% detection record, and a VERY light footprint, i.e. no performance hit.Dan.

I had a horrible time when I used Avg for about 3 years-it missed stuff all the time, and sometimes would detect something but say it couldn't do anything about it.I've been using Norton now for a year and a half and haven't had one problem. If that results in losing a couple frames per second-I'll take it.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest DemolitionMan

I'll go for NOD32 too! I have it running on 3 computers at home: fast, safe and NO performance loss at all, I always leave it running, even when using FS. It's the best there is out there (no, I have NO connection to Eset software (the makers of NOD32) , except as a very satisfied customer!)BestGrahame (EDHL)

Used to think AVG was quite good till I tried F-SECURE and it found a few hidden virus files.F-SECURE is also excellent for Flight Sim because you are given the option to "unload" all their active files while you sim, then simply reload afterwards (takes seconds).F-SECURE also offer a 6 month demo file if you register. Well worth checking out.http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/CheersAdamAdam Moorewww.simreview.co.ukWin XP - ARIA 3200PCPrescott 3.20 GHz - 2GB RAMAsus ATi Radeon X800 Pro TD 256MB19" CRT 1600x1200 @ 100hzAudiophile 24/96 AudioCurrently Testing: FSD Piaggio P-180 Avanti

Guest Aleks_r

I Am running Softwin BitDefender Professional 8.0. Very, very good software.

Guest gasebah

Just as a sidenote if you find that many malware on a PC the only way to make the system secure would be a complete reformat. Of if there is no sensitive information on the computer at all you might stick with it. But you cannot clean a compromised system by using a virus scanner. A fully compromised system cannot be trusted. Even virus scanners must at some level rely on the system to not lie to them. If they ask whether a particular file is present, the attacker may simply have a tool in place that lies about it. If you can guarantee that the only thing that compromised the system was a particular virus or worm and you know that this virus has no backdoors associated with it, and the vulnerability used by the virus was not available remotely, then a virus scanner can be used to clean the system.Alex

So you abandoned a security product for another one that you knew was worse simply because it made FS go a bit faster?Mind I don't consider Norton good, it's another one of the Bad AV Products.I use Kaspersky myself. Excellent performance and one of the best scan engines out there.

Hi GuysGiven the scepticism regarding AVG, would it possible to get some feedback about other virus checkers around (free or payware) - NOD32 seems popular, also, Kaspersky seems to get good reviews. It all seems a bit of a minefield regarding a potential purchase - maybe that's why AVG's so popular...ThanksGary

Guest GCBarni

This kind of "poll" makes its appearance at least once a year. And everytime, AVG is portrayed like a sieve in comparison to the other software on the list. And everytime, someone has to publish it and demonstrate to the world that AVG sucks, blah, blah, blah and discourage its usage.Notice seems not to be mentioned, however of the fact that AVG is the _only_ software on the portion of the list quoted that has a _FREE_ edition! And Grisoft continues to issue frequent updates and upgrades both in the free version and the commercial edition. And they've been doing this for the past few years in spite of their less-than-glowing performances that appear on these lists. Obviously, they must not take these reports very seriously.And there are a lot of users, myself included, who have been using this free edition for years without any problems or complications and the report holds no special meaning for us either. There are also claims from around the world about individuals having their PC security compromised while supposedly behind the absolute best software available, including some in this forum; losing faith with so-and-so's software and opting for another 'silver bullet'.Less attention should be paid to "numbers" and more attention placed upon one's surfing habits and integration of other complimentary software for protection.......there isn't a single product out there....not one; that can perform to the expectations of some PC owners......and that includes those programs that had the fewest "misses" in the heralded virus Bulletin Report.