Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Are you happy with P3Dv4?

I thought we were not supposed to be posting armchair litigation about P3D's EULA in the Avsim forums. :dry:

As Vic mentioned above... thanks for pointing it out one more time.. :happy:

Bert

7 hours ago, Chock said:

Really, the only reason to lock such a thread would be if it were to get out of hand or decend into personal attacks, neither of which appear to be the case

Well, my own experience is discussing LM policies etc in here can be very sensitive.

I still haven't forgotten when I brought up the fact you were not allowed to download previous versions of the P3D client but only the latest one even when you couldn't use the latest version due to severe VAS issues not allowing me to use the software (P3D). IIRC I even received some kind of warning in here which felt rather ridiculous after always being a friendly, loyal and helpful member in here for almost 15 years. And interestingly enough LM all of a sudden changed their policy shortly after this meaning what got me a warning all of a sudden was the most natural thing in the world where everyone could now download any version of the client.

Too funny and I can only hope writing this won't get me a new warning :biggrin:

Richard Åsberg

Back to what this thread is all about I was just informed that the effect seen in the YouTube clip mentioned in my initial post and how the aircraft is moving both sideways as well as up and down during short final in a very realistic way doesn't have anything to do with P3Dv4 (unfortunately) but instead is some kind of dynamic head movement added by EZdok.

Too bad because I really wanted that to be something new in P3Dv4 and I'm a bit surprised because I still think when watching the clip it looks like the aircraft itself is moving rather than just the head/camera.

I have no experience with the EZDok myself but maybe some who has could add some info around this?

Richard Åsberg

It can be both Richard. I do not use EZDOK and disable the head movement in V4 but I still get bounced all over when I'm in turbulence. Want a big thrill? Find a hurricane or TS with 80-90 mile/hour winds and fly into it - you will bounce all over the sky. EZDOK and others make it even more pronounced. Too much so IMHO but that's just the way I like it - also I use TrackIR and outside head movement makes it difficult.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks Vic.

Even in P3Dv3 I know severe turbulence and/or strong winds can make the aircraft bounce quite a bit in the way you describe (mostly thanks to AS if you ask me).

Still though I found XP11 felt more realistic in the way described in my first post where the sensation of moving on trails finally wasn't there anymore in the way I mostly felt it in FS and P3D.

That's why I was interested in knowing if previous P3Dv3 users found this changed to the better in P3Dv4.

Guess I'll find out soon enough when I get P3Dv4 myself ☺️

Richard Åsberg

Aside from the slow loading black textures and patchy populating autogen at higher altitude and speeds, with the OOMs gone, large LOD radius and dynamic lights at their early stage I am sort of satisfied. I would be happy if the primary thread was mutlicored and AI/ATC/Afcad behavior improved/increased in depth, but I reckon that would require a full fledged dev team rather than the current part time development to deal with.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:57 PM, Sethos1988 said:

If they could just do something about that dynamic light performance when combined with SSAA, then I'd be happy as a clam with V4. 

Right on!  This is my biggest gripe about P3D4.  Landing lights don't light the runway in the NGX without dynamic lighting so you need it at night but anything less than 2xSSAA gives you horrible shimmering especially at night.  Some flickering of city lights in the distance is actually true to life but with only 4xMSAA it is way too excessive.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

On 17/08/2017 at 11:43 PM, WebMaximus said:

Too bad because I really wanted that to be something new in P3Dv4 and I'm a bit surprised because I still think when watching the clip it looks like the aircraft itself is moving rather than just the head/camera.

IIRC isn't this what the issue with EZDok and (for example) the PMDG 747 et al is -- i.e. the fact that EZDok generates some of its effects by introducing ridiculously strong gusts etc to physically shake the aeroplane (which, understandably, upsets complex models) rather than just moving the camera?

52 minutes ago, skelsey said:

IIRC isn't this what the issue with EZDok and (for example) the PMDG 747 et al is -- i.e. the fact that EZDok generates some of its effects by introducing ridiculously strong gusts etc to physically shake the aeroplane (which, understandably, upsets complex models) rather than just moving the camera?

And IIRC 😂 I think that was/is the case with Opus FSI which I remember also came with its own camera-shaking system but I have no experience with EZDOK.

It does look very realistic though and again I wish this kind of movement was built into the core sim/flight model rather than having to fake it using camera views or unrealistically strong gusts etc.

Watching many of the clips on YouTube featuring real aircraft landing (and not only during bad weather), the kind of movement seen in the clip in my first post here during short final looks exactly the same.

Richard Åsberg

4 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

Watching many of the clips on YouTube featuring real aircraft landing (and not only during bad weather), the kind of movement seen in the clip in my first post here during short final looks exactly the same.

Speaking as a real world pilot, the number of times you'd get that much movement on finals are few and far between (particularly in a large aircraft). That sort of thing tends to happen only on very gusty days or during the isolated instances that you get microbursts on finals. The control inputs he's making are far from being the norm.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

24 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Speaking as a real world pilot, the number of times you'd get that much movement on finals are few and far between (particularly in a large aircraft). That sort of thing tends to happen only on very gusty days or during the isolated instances that you get microbursts on finals. The control inputs he's making are far from being the norm.

Thanks a lot for the input, most appreciated and interesting!

I guess many of the clips on YouTube I was referring to were filmed during the kind of conditions you mention.

So I guess this means what we have in P3D with a good weather engine actually is very close to real life which is great ☺️

Richard Åsberg

1 minute ago, WebMaximus said:

So I guess this means what we have in P3D with a good weather engine actually is very close to real life which is great

That's certainly my experience. Whilst you'd generally get some displacement of the aircraft during the approach it rarely needs more than just a small control input to correct it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Best day in my lonnnng flightsimming life (C-64 days Bruce Artwick's original creation for flightsim) is when they released P3Dv4. 64 bit was the final nail in the coffin for memory issues. 

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

P3D v4  is, to use the old phrase, the patch that adds the fun. :)  I've been simming again like I just found FS.  The performance nightmares really had me down, I see in hindsight.