onurair

P3D V4 Dawn Dusk Night Performance

Recommended Posts

Do you guys have constant FPS throughout the day?

I have perfectly fine 30fps at day (locked). But when it comes to dawn, dusk and night, my frames are going down to single digits. 
It seems to be related to the position of the sun.

My specs are not that bad:
I7 6700k 4.5ghz
GTX 970
4K 30hz Resolution

I have dynamic lighting on and my AA settings are at 2xMSAA.
When using the time preview feature, I can see how my fps are falling steadily once it gets close to dawn, dusk and night.
However sometimes I can achieve the 30fps once it gets "full" night.
 

Thanks in advance for any help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

P3D is doing a double rendering a dusk and dawn to acheive the visual effects so its normal  to have  a decrease in performance at these times.

Also if you are using PTA  their a couple of cloud and shadow shaders that are known to cause huge impact on performance when the sun is low.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, 238932 said:

P3D is doing a double rendering a dusk and dawn to acheive the visual effects so its normal  to have  a decrease in performance at these times.

Also if you are using PTA  their a couple of cloud and shadow shaders that are known to cause huge impact on performance when the sun is low.

 

thank you, didn't know that. Infact I am using PTA. Do you know which of the settings is causing the massive drop in fps?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, 238932 said:

@onurair in the clouds section : "cloud shadow depth" and  "cloud shadows extended size"

 

will try to disable or lower them, thanks for the tipp.

Share this post


Link to post

Do you have vegetation or building shadows on? I use a settings profile specifically for dusk/dawn with vegetation shadows turned off because low sun and looooong tree shadows absolutely murders my frame rates.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/17/2017 at 11:15 AM, 238932 said:

P3D is doing a double rendering a dusk and dawn to acheive the visual effects

 

Are there any settings in P3Dv4 I could turn off to avoid double rendering in dusk and dawn?

Sounds intimidating otberwise.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/17/2017 at 11:23 AM, onurair said:

will try to disable or lower them, thanks for the tipp.

Please share your findings with PTA.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Are there any settings in P3Dv4 I could turn off to avoid double rendering in dusk and dawn?

Sounds intimidating otberwise.

Thanks

No

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Please share your findings with PTA.

Thanks

I disabled the "cloud shadows extended size" and lowered the "cloud shadow depth" to 0.70. It was a bit better when I took off in EHAM. 
But still a break down of FPS while I was approaching EDDF Prof from AS. I had the sun right in front of me while on final. (Sunset) 

So I still need to find some tweaks to get better performance while dusk and dawn. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, onurair said:

I disabled the "cloud shadows extended size" and lowered the "cloud shadow depth" to 0.70. It was a bit better when I took off in EHAM. 
But still a break down of FPS while I was approaching EDDF Prof from AS. I had the sun right in front of me while on final. (Sunset) 

So I still need to find some tweaks to get better performance while dusk and dawn. 

Did you play with vegetation and building shadows on/off? 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Did you play with vegetation and building shadows on/off? 

Thanks,

Yes it's all off. Only vehicel internal and external and cloud shadows are ticked.
Just tried another flight now. I had stable 30fps at EHAM and then a steady decrease... and now it isn't recovering even when I change the time to day.
Strange thing is, when I shut down active sky everything seems to be stable at 30fps. (Active Sky is at default settings except layers of clouds set to 3) 

The search goes on...

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, onurair said:

Yes it's all off. Only vehicel internal and external and cloud shadows are ticked.
Just tried another flight now. I had stable 30fps at EHAM and then a steady decrease... and now it isn't recovering even when I change the time to day.
Strange thing is, when I shut down active sky everything seems to be stable at 30fps. (Active Sky is at default settings except layers of clouds set to 3) 

The search goes on...

Ok, then check out your ground and higher visibility settings in AS, what are they currently?

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Ok, then check out your ground and higher visibility settings in AS, what are they currently?

I have 200nm for upper vis. according to the hifi forum this should be the optimal setting for a single basic visibility layer.
My max surface vis is 75nm.

Thank you for the help!

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know which variable would control the flickering of nights at night? This is only lights in the distance,not close up. I realise IRL that lights tender to flicker at night, but the extent that mine do can be distracting and I'd like to tone it down. Also, what is the setting that increases the distance that lights are visible?

cheers

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now