Sign in to follow this  
MAHLER

Deceleration

Just love flying this aircraft,  in FSX, however, I continually get into trouble trying to nail the landing speed, whether landing manually with a/p disengaged, or ,

on an ILS approach, even with full flaps and 100% spoilers, idle throttle, I invariably end up running out of  runway, . Am I missing  something?

Mike King

I've only run out of runway once with it, but it was at KDCA and I blasted through a fence and ended up in the Potomac.   The MD-11 has astonishingly high landing speeds if you ask me.  Like usually up in the 150s.   That's about 20 knots higher than most of my other jetliners and freighters, including my other widebody tri-jet, the L1011 Tristar.   Not really sure why that is.

David Norman Paul

I'm not sure about the PMDG specifically, but within FSX there's an anti-skid function. I've assigned this to a button on my HOTAS stick. When activated, all the aircraft I use brake harder than if it wasn't activated. The wheels don't lock up and skid ;)

This is necessary IMHO for those of us who don't have a set of rudder pedals with proportional toe brakes - I use the trigger on the stick for brakes. OK, some aircraft don't have anti-skid in the real world, but in the real world the pilot can easily modulate the braking force :happy:

Doesn't the MD-11 have an autobrake function?? If so, then use that puppy!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

There's a button for the autobrakes in front of the throttle levers. You can choose between RTO, low, medium and high braking modes. If you're using the 3D cockpit, the button may be hidden behind the speedbrake/spoiler lever, so I tend to switch to the 2D cockpit and open the throttle quadrant window for it.

Kind regards,

Wesley.

On 9/3/2017 at 0:24 PM, WT497 said:

There's a button for the autobrakes in front of the throttle levers. You can choose between RTO, low, medium and high braking modes. If you're using the 3D cockpit, the button may be hidden behind the speedbrake/spoiler lever, so I tend to switch to the 2D cockpit and open the throttle quadrant window for it.

...And don't forget to ARM the Autobrakes! Pull up/Left click the speed brake handle. Somewhere between your last STAR Waypoint and your IAP...Done/Not done that meself a few times...