Sign in to follow this  
blocks_off

GPU(?) Upgrade

Hi All,

I am sure from my own analysis that my PC would benefit from a GPU upgrade. Pls see below current system specs. I think I skimped on the GPU when I built it!

Summary
        Operating System
            Windows 10 Home 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz    25 °C
            Haswell 22nm Technology
        RAM
            16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)
        Motherboard
            MSI Z87 MPOWER (MS-7818) (SOCKET 0)    32 °C
        Graphics
            iiyama PL2278H (1920x1080@60Hz)
            PL2278H (1920x1080@60Hz)
            4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (EVGA)    29 °C
        Storage
            1863GB Seagate ST2000DX001-1NS164 (SATA)    27 °C
            232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250G SCSI Disk Device (SSD)    28 °C
            1863GB TOSHIBA HDWD120 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)    28 °C
        Optical Drives
            ATAPI iHAS124 B
        Audio
            Realtek High Definition Audio

What I am looking for is a recommendation that if you were to purchase a new GPU what would you get based on I currently use XP 11 but I also intend to install P3Dv4 (for the FS Labs 320 when it is ready).

Thanks

- Carl

I would probably go for the GTX 1070, but at the moment it depends very much on the price.that you can find.

8 GB VRAM are really useful at the moment and at the moment the 1080TI doesn´t give you so much additional power that you can really use in P3D or X-Plane 11. This might change when X-Plane goes to Vulkan, but at that time you have other GPUs available.

If money is no object then 1080ti will do, else 1070 or 1080

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, CarlosF said:

If money is no object then 1080ti will do, else 1070 or 1080

That is the verdict. Do not go lower than 1070 in any case.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Same reccomendation as above: 1080ti if you can afford it, otherwise 1070 or 1080. Stick with Nvidia, based on previous support history with Laminar.

Even if you can't use all of a 1080ti now, it's fairly certain you will at some point during the XP11 cycle, or if you upgrade your monitor resolution to 4k.

P.S. it's not a great time to be shopping GPU's right now, between the bitcoin miners buying up all the high end cards, and a lot of the chips being siphoned off for use in smartphones. Prices haven't dropped the way they should have, for some of these higher-end cards. I don't know when this will ease up though. If you can't wait a while for the market to stabilize, then just go for the highest spec card you can afford.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I have the 1070 and I'm very happy with it and I get smooth performance in both XP11 and P3D. In fact, it seems to me that X-Plane is mostly bottlenecked by my CPU and not the graphics card, so moving up to a 1080 or 1080ti would probably give little gain in my case (Maybe I could run AA on max, etc).

I expect though that since LR are working heavily on optimising X-Plane and OpenGL Vulcan support, we might start seeing it making better use of the powerful GPUs we now have. I don't expect we'll ever see Aerofly FS2 performance because the sim is more CPU bound (and does much more graphically than that sim), but we can live in hope

Conventional wisdom for computer upgrades has always been get the fastest hardware with the most memory that you can afford.

• Upvote 2