Sign in to follow this  
gussy245

PMDG 777 autobrakes problem

Hi,

For some reason when I turn my autobrakes on any setting (RTO, 1, 2, 3, MAX) nothing happens upon touchdown. When I touchdown I go to idle, apply speedbrakes, and reverse thrusters as normal. I know the brakes aren't working because I don't get the red BRAKES notification in the bottom left hand corner. If I apply brakes manually I get the red brakes notification. Help!? I dont have any rudder pedals, and I am using a logitech joystick. 

Autobrakes apply once the wheels are all on the ground. Make sure your spoilers are in the armed position. You should see the aircraft start decelerating quickly if the autobrakes are engaged.

Sometimes controller problems cause the brakes not to engage properly, I have experienced this. It can happen if you've loaded the 777 after first loading a non-default aircraft like the trike in FSX. If you need to confirm, set MAX autobrakes and attempt a landing with no reverse thrust. If the aircraft does not come to a stop on the runway quickly, well you can be sure you have a controller settings problem. FSUIPC can also cause this if there's some kind of conflict with the brakes.

I have fixed this in the past by removing all brake axes from both the sim and FSUIPC then reassigning them. That usually clears the problem.

It is worth doing a full brake check while you do your controls check during taxi to make sure the brakes are applying as you expect them to, but I have experienced weird issues on landing before as well. Again this was usually due to an FSUIPC/controller problem.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:28 PM, Olmba said:

The red text "BRAKES" will only show up when you apply manually breaking,
Auto Break applies until you start manual breaking.

The reason that i thought the red "BRAKES" should illuminate was because on my PMDG 737NGX, the red BRAKES icon illuminates when the autobreaks apply. 

1 hour ago, gussy245 said:

The reason that i thought the red "BRAKES" should illuminate was because on my PMDG 737NGX, the red BRAKES icon illuminates when the autobreaks apply. 

Not a good idea to assume these things. Two different airplanes, two different development processes. Seeing as the 737 is older than the 777, they may have come up with a different way of doing the autobrakes for the 777, which is why you'd see the difference.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

The red "BRAKES" warning DOES show when autobraking, as you can see in Scandinavian 13's VRMM to OMDB tutorial video, and it certainly does in my 777.

• Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

10 hours ago, dmwalker said:

The red "BRAKES" warning DOES show when autobraking, as you can see in Scandinavian 13's VRMM to OMDB tutorial video, and it certainly does in my 777.

They don't unless you are unde manual braking. They only way you know the auto brakes are engaged is if there is decel on the runway (thrust reverser s don't slow you down nearly as fast as you'd think) and the switch isn't in the "disarmed" position. Your auto brake selection should be shown in white text on the EICAS, if not then they won't engage. Red text is a master warning if I'm not mistaken, so it definitely wouldn't show under autobraking. 

3 hours ago, Milton Waddams said:

and the switch isn't in the "disarmed" position.

If I don't see the "AUTOBRAKE: message on the EICAS that occurs when it is disengaged then I know it is working. See FCOM 14.20.5.

Dan Downs KCRP

15 minutes ago, downscc said:

If I don't see the "AUTOBRAKE: message on the EICAS that occurs when it is disengaged then I know it is working. See FCOM 14.20.5.

And that as well.

Milton Waddams, I believe the O.P. Is talking about the FSX red “BRAKES” warning at the lower left corner of the monitor. Is that what you are talking about?

Dugald Walker

3 hours ago, downscc said:

What is happening to the O.P. is what occasionally happens to me. Even though the autobraking is selected and the EICAS message in white "Autobrake 3" is shown continuously throughout approach and landing, the brakes are not being applied on touchdown and there is no FSX red "BRAKES" warning.

Dugald Walker

2 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

What is happening to the O.P. is what occasionally happens to me. Even though the autobraking is selected and the EICAS message in white "Autobrake 3" is shown continuously throughout approach and landing, the brakes are not being applied on touchdown and there is no FSX red "BRAKES" warning.

I haven't flown her in a few days so I'm not sure but it's likely that there is no FSX red brake annunciation during autobraking as already pointed out by several others above.  If you are slowing down then brakes are working.  The reverse thrust alone doesn't add significant braking and without brakes you will still be going pretty fast at the end of the runway.

Dan Downs KCRP

That's what I mean by "brakes not being applied" There is no appreciable deceleration and I would go off the end of the runway if I didn't apply the brakes manually. I have not been using reverse thrust so that wasn't a factor. In case it makes a difference, I'm still using original FSX.

In any case, you can see the FSX red "BRAKES" annunciation on autobraking at 1:32:48 in Kyle's video of VRMM to OMDB.

Dugald Walker

Dugald, you jumped into this thread without explaining your problem other than a vague "it sometimes happens to me."  I cannot assume you are using pedals or keyboard for braking.  Without a problem description it is hard to provide assistance.  I will suggest that you review the autobraking system description in the FCOM and note the things that will cause it to disarm. This isn't a bug in the aircraft that I've read about here or in beta testing so I'd be looking at the calibration of my controls.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm sorry, my typing speed is too slow. I wasn't looking for assistance since the problem happens to me only rarely and I am assuming that it's just a glitch in my FSX and nothing to do directly with the 777. I jumped in because my occasional problem is identical to the one the O.P. is describing but it seemed that his description of the problem was being misunderstood and that some were thinking the red "BRAKES" annunciation was being displayed by the aircraft.

I do have a Logitech joystick, just as the O.P. does so your assumption was correct about that and maybe that is the problem but it's not that the joystick trigger is set too sensitive and is disarming the autobrakes because there is no amber "Autobrake" annunciation on the EICAS. It just continuously shows the white "Autobrake 3" annunciation.

Dugald Walker