Sign in to follow this  
AresOcana

PMDG 737 HUD/HGS not working

I'm having all kinds of trouble like this.  There is lots of help, much of it conflicting or subtly different, but like Faris Shala I have had to delete and reinstall several times (right down to removing the entire Sim package 'root and branch').  Part of my trouble is that file paths like C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE do not appear in my system. It just says FSX.  Installing via Steam seems to be a problem (I wish I'd never done it) and I think Active Sky Next has also been a problem.  People kindly suggest installing on a 'stand alone' drive, or in a separate C:\ folder outside of Programs x86.  My PMDG 737 is loaded from a disk, not downloaded, and I wonder if there is a corrupted file there as my HUD never worked until I added lines to the dll.xml file.  When you add Navigraph for PMDG it goes by default to PMDG folders, not to the relevant SimObjects / Airplanes; if you add it to another a/c (e.g. Majestic Q400) it defaults to the airplane folder(s).  It doesn't help when the packages (one is installing) ask you where you want to put it.  Frankly I'm on the verge of giving up and selling all my 'rig' - I haven't completed a flight for weeks becuase of all this troubleshooting.

Andrew Gold

3 hours ago, threebears said:

I'm having all kinds of trouble like this.  There is lots of help, much of it conflicting or subtly different, but like Faris Shala I have had to delete and reinstall several times (right down to removing the entire Sim package 'root and branch').  Part of my trouble is that file paths like C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE do not appear in my system. It just says FSX.  Installing via Steam seems to be a problem (I wish I'd never done it) and I think Active Sky Next has also been a problem.  People kindly suggest installing on a 'stand alone' drive, or in a separate C:\ folder outside of Programs x86.

While I understand that there is some weird information out there, the first place to go is always someone who can actually provide help. Our support system is for our products, but we could've been able to save you a ton of time by offering you some support as I'm doing right now:

1. Reinstalling things rarely fixes anything. It just wastes time.
  2. FSX-SE isn't showing up on your system because - in order to try to have the least amount of conflict with add-ons - Steam will install it as "regular" FSX if it detects that "regular" FSX never existed on the computer. It's confusing, but it's pretty out of place to assign blame to it just because it's confusing.
  3. You can tell Steam where you'd like to put it, if you'd like. They have instructions on their site if you're curious.

My PMDG 737 is loaded from a disk, not downloaded, and I wonder if there is a corrupted file there as my HUD never worked until I added lines to the dll.xml file. 

This version is not compatible with Steam. CDs were distributed via Aerosoft, so if you go to their support site - https://support.aerosoft.com/pages/login - you can download the Steam-compatible version by entering your license key after logging in.

Some installers can corrupt the DLL.xml. We have steps on our support site to fix this, or you can send the file to us and we can fix it for you.

When you add Navigraph for PMDG it goes by default to PMDG folders, not to the relevant SimObjects / Airplanes; if you add it to another a/c (e.g. Majestic Q400) it defaults to the airplane folder(s).

This is incorrect. None of our navdata should end up in SimObjects/Airplanes. It is supposed to go into the PMDG/Navdata folder. If it is ending up in the wrong spot (indicated by the nav data showing as out of date in the sim - you will see an FMC prompt), then you may need to have the Navdata tool re-scan your add-ons to verify things. This is a Navigraph issue, though, so it would require support from them, as it's their tool. All the same, the tool does work when configured properly (usually just deleting all mappings, and then having it re-scan fixes the issue).

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks very much, indeed, it would have saved me a lot of heartache.  I didn't know the disk wasn't compatible with FSX-SE.  I think (I'm pretty sure) I ordered it direct from Aerosoft.  Put my 'railing' down to exhaustion and frustration (and a bit of old age).

4 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

While I understand that there is some weird information out there, the first place to go is always someone who can actually provide help. Our support system is for our products, but we could've been able to save you a ton of time by offering you some support as I'm doing right now:

1. Reinstalling things rarely fixes anything. It just wastes time.
  2. FSX-SE isn't showing up on your system because - in order to try to have the least amount of conflict with add-ons - Steam will install it as "regular" FSX if it detects that "regular" FSX never existed on the computer. It's confusing, but it's pretty out of place to assign blame to it just because it's confusing.
  3. You can tell Steam where you'd like to put it, if you'd like. They have instructions on their site if you're curious.

This version is not compatible with Steam. CDs were distributed via Aerosoft, so if you go to their support site - https://support.aerosoft.com/pages/login - you can download the Steam-compatible version by entering your license key after logging in.

I have to disagree: my disk box is clearly marked as being for FSX-SE on the front, and the system requirements say FSX Steam Edition.

Some installers can corrupt the DLL.xml. We have steps on our support site to fix this, or you can send the file to us and we can fix it for you.

This is incorrect. None of our navdata should end up in SimObjects/Airplanes. It is supposed to go into the PMDG/Navdata folder. If it is ending up in the wrong spot (indicated by the nav data showing as out of date in the sim - you will see an FMC prompt), then you may need to have the Navdata tool re-scan your add-ons to verify things. This is a Navigraph issue, though, so it would require support from them, as it's their tool. All the same, the tool does work when configured properly (usually just deleting all mappings, and then having it re-scan fixes the issue).

Sorry but I have to disagree: my disk PMDG 737NGX disk box is clearly marked as being for FSX-SE on the front, and the system requirements say FSX Steam Edition.

37 minutes ago, threebears said:

Sorry but I have to disagree: my disk PMDG 737NGX disk box is clearly marked as being for FSX-SE on the front, and the system requirements say FSX Steam Edition.

Didn't realize the 3rd party publishers were re-packaging FSX/FSX:SE versions onto CD/DVD...

If that's the case, even more of a reason to reach out to us directly.

This is going to come down to the DLL.xml corruption, and that should be it. The rest is simply a bit of confusion as to how FSX:SE installs into various systems.

Kyle Rodgers

20 minutes ago, threebears said:

All I have to do now, then, is find (or generate) a 'clean' copy of the dll.xml.  😉

Use PMDG Product Support, they will help you clean up or repair your dll.xml.

Dan Downs KCRP