Sign in to follow this  
jshek

737 & 777 FMC Causing lock up

Good day,

I recently began having issues with both the 737 and 777 completely locking up in P3D V4 whenever I would adjust the arrival section in the FMC before TOD.  Normally when I input the navigational information for the flight into the FMC prior to pushback, I don't select the landing runway in the FMC until I am within 250nm of the arrival airport in case the winds have changed more than 90 degrees from when I takeoff. 

I tried 2 different flights with each aircraft to ensure that it wasn't a scenery, weather or terrain anomaly causing this lock up. All 4 times it locked up just after I had input the STAR and landing runway, within 5 minutes (sometimes 30 seconds, other times 2 minutes) the game would freeze with no other input or control presses. The sound of the engines would go in a very short loop leaving it sounding like someone was hitting the drums at 10 beats per second. The computer completely locks up, can't alt + tab or ctrl alt delete out of it, leaving the only option as a hard reset.

I tried the same flight's with the DC6, no issue what so ever.

Has anyone else ran into this?  I did read a thread about double clicking the 2d FMC window but on the final 2 tests I did not open the 2d FMC in case this was the issue but the freeze still occurred. Wanted some opinions before I submit a ticket with PMDG

My specs and addons are as followes

6700K with stable OC of 4.5ghz.

16GB 3000mhz

Evga 1070 FTW

Samsung 960 EVO OS + P3D (installed in C driver directly, no subfolders)

Win 7 SP1

P3D V4

AS16

ORBX Global, Vector, HD trees, OpenLC NA, PNW, PFJ, SAK, NRM

Rex Texture Direct + Soft Clouds for V4

UT Live Beta ( Same flights with no issues with DC6 should cancel out any issue with it being UTlive)

Thank you,

What was the latest change you did before having the issue? Dc6 can't be compared as it does not uses any fmc and in general is more "light" from coding prospective. ther might be something in your pc that is not operating correctly and in conjastion with the aircrafts lead to that total computer freeze. 

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

I have not had this issue no have I seen it reported here.  I too will often not select the arrival until within 1000 nm and the approach just before TOD when I am doing my pre-descent flow.  The interesting thing you report is the delay of 30 sec to several minutes for having the crash. I am trying to come up with ideas based on that delay and I got nothing,  I recommend you do a methodical troubleshooting by removing addons starting with your traffic.  Maybe it is causing the crash after your changes to the route in the 777 (not sure why the NGX behaves the same, it is quite a different piece of code) because as you know the 777 optionally keeps the P3D flightplan up to date and that is where AS16 gets its route, maybe something similar with your traffic?

Dan Downs KCRP

34 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

What was the latest change you did before having the issue? Dc6 can't be compared as it does not uses any fmc and in general is more "light" from coding prospective. ther might be something in your pc that is not operating correctly and in conjastion with the aircrafts lead to that total computer freeze. 

I know the DC6 can't be compared to in terms of code but used the identical routes and weather to ensure it was not a graphical anomaly related to AS16 or ORBX.

32 minutes ago, downscc said:

I have not had this issue no have I seen it reported here.  I too will often not select the arrival until within 1000 nm and the approach just before TOD when I am doing my pre-descent flow.  The interesting thing you report is the delay of 30 sec to several minutes for having the crash. I am trying to come up with ideas based on that delay and I got nothing,  I recommend you do a methodical troubleshooting by removing addons starting with your traffic.  Maybe it is causing the crash after your changes to the route in the 777 (not sure why the NGX behaves the same, it is quite a different piece of code) because as you know the 777 optionally keeps the P3D flightplan up to date and that is where AS16 gets its route, maybe something similar with your traffic?

I wonder if its an issue between AS16 and P3D now that you mention it? I normally load my p3d flight plan into AS16 prior to my flight. This wouldn't explain why the error is happening with the 737 but could be why the 777 is locking up the game. I will try a flight without AS16, then with AS16 but not inputting the flight plan into AS16 to see if there is an issue between the FMC updated the route and possibly causing a conflict with AS16.

Thanks a lot Dan.

36 minutes ago, downscc said:

I too will often not select the arrival until within 1000 nm and the approach just before TOD when I am doing my pre-descent flow

Dan,

I'm not having any problems changing STARS/RWYs in the FMC prior to or after TOD in the B737/B747/B777.

One of the first things I learned when I first started flying FMC equipped aircraft was to enter the complete flight plan.  As it was explained in a one way conversation before CRM was a term. :smile:  His logic was that it eliminates the problem of getting distracted and failing to enter the STAR/RWY.  If the arrival is going to be changed, ATC will let me know in sufficient time to update the FMC.  One thing about flying night freight on the DC-3 back in the '70s this was not a problem.    :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam