ozflyer

Graphics Settings for P3D v4 on 4K TV

Hi All,

I switched from a 256x1080 wide-screen monitor to a 4K TV.

Would you be able to advise graphics settings for this setup.

Do I still need NVI?, I remember reading its not required on 4K.

My I7-7700k is OC GHz and run on a GTX 970.

Should I have AA enabled in P3D, and what x MSAA should I use.

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Use whatever looks good to you and performs to your liking. There isn't a set of settings that works for everyone. This is very personal and subjective so not much use in asking that here. What may be important to you may not be important to someone else. Make your own choices and test them, I'd say. Like asking if you need AA: only you can see with your own eyes what looks good or not on your monitor. Who cares if someone says you don't need AA while you think it looks jagged...? Or who cares if someone says you do need AA while you think it looks fine without? And what if someone suggests to turn off autogen for better performance while you love autogen? It is all up to you: never simply do what others tell you because you may end up with a sim you don't like at all.

I have run my V4 on the 4K monitor with 30hz for a couple of days, unbelievable how it runs,so awesome

15 hours ago, tooting said:

Hello

Can it run at 30hertz??

The TV's refresh rate is 60 Hz, don't know how I can change that to run at 30Hz.

14 hours ago, Lexen said:

I have run my V4 on the 4K monitor with 30hz for a couple of days, unbelievable how it runs,so awesome

How did you make it run at 30Hz.?.

Maybe your video card will be somewhat underpowered for the most common visual settings. I'd also recommend setting 30 Hz, VSync ON and frame rate locked to anything above 35 (does it make a difference 35, 60, or Unlimited in this case?! I don't think so).

1 hour ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

Maybe your video card will be somewhat underpowered for the most common visual settings. I'd also recommend setting 30 Hz, VSync ON and frame rate locked to anything above 35 (does it make a difference 35, 60, or Unlimited in this case?! I don't think so).

I will give it a go today.

I have locked my fps in game at 31.

Enabled vync in game.

NVI all settings default.

Will report back how it goes.

6 hours ago, YukonPete said:

You should be able to set 30hz in the NV control panel

Cheers mate. 

2 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

The 970 should be fine. I ran P3Dv3 at 30hz on a 50" TV for over a year and it was fine.  i upgraded my PC in June so now i have a 1080.

4 hours ago, YukonPete said:

The 970 should be fine. I ran P3Dv3 at 30hz on a 50" TV for over a year and it was fine.  i upgraded my PC in June so now i have a 1080.

I say that because I have a 1080 FTW and it gets hammered very frequently, running at 100% load in P3D v4, 4x MSAA, in a 4k screen.

6 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

I say that because I have a 1080 FTW and it gets hammered very frequently, running at 100% load in P3D v4, 4x MSAA, in a 4k screen.

That's interesting. I just bought a GTX1080 and I am thinking of going to a 4k 42" monitor.

Is the memory use near maximum (8gb), or is it just the GPU load that's 100%?

My 2k (1440) 32" monitor shows a load of no greater than 30% and 3gb with P3d.

With DCS I see 90% load and 6.5 GB used. I wouldn't have thought P3d could put 100% load on our 1080's,  but it's fascinating nevertheless, to see the different loads placed on the GPU.

Best regards.

1 hour ago, charlie130 said:

That's interesting. I just bought a GTX1080 and I am thinking of going to a 4k 42" monitor.

Is the memory use near maximum (8gb), or is it just the GPU load that's 100%?

My 2k (1440) 32" monitor shows a load of no greater than 30% and 3gb with P3d.

With DCS I see 90% load and 6.5 GB used. I wouldn't have thought P3d could put 100% load on our 1080's,  but it's fascinating nevertheless, to see the different loads placed on the GPU.

Best regards.

To be honest it surprised (in a bad way) me too! Yes, occasionally the 8 GB of VRAM also gets very near full capacity, I've seen yet figures of 7+ GB of usage, but haven't paid much attention to this, just really like 2 or 3 times recently.

In any event I love 4k, I have a 55" screen and it's just awesome. For the majority of the time I'm able to get a fluid simulation of 30 FPS, but there are times depending on the scenery and aircraft (and I use frequently the detailed ones) when the frame rate will drop and produce some stuttering. Fortunately it's not frequent going below 20 FPS, which IMHO is pretty acceptable.

5 hours ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

In any event I love 4k, I have a 55" screen and it's just awesome. For the majority of the time I'm able to get a fluid simulation of 30 FPS, but there are times depending on the scenery and aircraft (and I use frequently the detailed ones) when the frame rate will drop and produce some stuttering. Fortunately it's not frequent going below 20 FPS, which IMHO is pretty acceptable.

I may go for a 4k when I get P3d4.1 in a couple of weeks.  I was thinking of a Rift, but with my eyesight already aging (now requiring glasses for distance), I want to be able to see everything clearly, (like I did 40 years ago!) . Also, if they bring out a higher definition Rift next year, its more wasted money!

May I ask what settings you set in P3d?  Presumably its VSynch on, Triple Buffer on and FPS locked in sim, at 30, with your monitor set at 30Hz? ( There are many other settings, AA being the biggie).

I guess that the ultimate aim is for a steady 30fps, without the frame rate jumping about and causing stutters?

However, I believe the bigger the screen at 4k, the more pixels per second are required. If you are running at 30 Hz verses 60Hz, then wont that cut the RAM required, based upon the number of pixels, displayed per second, being half??

I presume a 55" 4k monitor will display more pixels than a 42" 4k? Thus does a 55" 4k require more GPU power. 

But I don't really know how this translates to our flight sims? Time and testing will tell!:blink:

Best regards

4 hours ago, charlie130 said:

I may go for a 4k when I get P3d4.1 in a couple of weeks.  I was thinking of a Rift, but with my eyesight already aging (now requiring glasses for distance), I want to be able to see everything clearly, (like I did 40 years ago!) . Also, if they bring out a higher definition Rift next year, its more wasted money!

May I ask what settings you set in P3d?  Presumably its VSynch on, Triple Buffer on and FPS locked in sim, at 30, with your monitor set at 30Hz? ( There are many other settings, AA being the biggie).

I guess that the ultimate aim is for a steady 30fps, without the frame rate jumping about and causing stutters?

However, I believe the bigger the screen at 4k, the more pixels per second are required. If you are running at 30 Hz verses 60Hz, then wont that cut the RAM required, based upon the number of pixels, displayed per second, being half??

I presume a 55" 4k monitor will display more pixels than a 42" 4k? Thus does a 55" 4k require more GPU power. 

But I don't really know how this translates to our flight sims? Time and testing will tell!:blink:

Best regards

Hi Charlie,

Yes, I personally think that this VR, Rift stuff, still needs MUCH improvement until it's worth it, I'd say many years yet, at least.

My setting are most maxed out, except for AA (usually MSAA 4x, seems like even MSAA 8x the performance will drop consistently during high broken and overcast conditions), autogen is at normal. As to the shadows, some of them are ticked, about half of those options.

Actually not, since the screen is set to 30 Hz there's no need to lock the frame rate within the simulator, it will cap automatically at around 30 FPS. So it doesn't matter setting it unlimited, or 60 FPS, or even 40 FPS, I guess.

And I agree that a steady 30 FPS will make the simulator totally smooth,it's a pity that not all the times it can be maintained, though...

As to the 4k resolution, no, it's just fixed, the only think the screen size will alter is the pixel size. The number of pixels will exactly the same whether it's a 40" or 65" or whatever.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Hi Charlie,

Yes, I personally think that this VR, Rift stuff, still needs MUCH improvement until it's worth it, I'd say many years yet, at least.

My setting are most maxed out, except for AA (usually MSAA 4x, seems like even MSAA 8x the performance will drop consistently during high broken and overcast conditions), autogen is at normal. As to the shadows, some of them are ticked, about half of those options.

Actually not, since the screen is set to 30 Hz there's no need to lock the frame rate within the simulator, it will cap automatically at around 30 FPS. So it doesn't matter setting it unlimited, or 60 FPS, or even 40 FPS, I guess.

And I agree that a steady 30 FPS will make the simulator totally smooth,it's a pity that not all the times it can be maintained, though...

As to the 4k resolution, no, it's just fixed, the only think the screen size will alter is the pixel size. The number of pixels will exactly the same whether it's a 40" or 65" or whatever.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

OK, so if I set "fast sync" in NVidia Control panel, then unlimited fps in P3d, with a 30Hz monitor, anything above 30 fps should get dropped? That should ensure 30 solid fps, with those jumpy stutters eliminated?

That's the theory! 

Happy simming times ahead!

Cheers. 

18 hours ago, charlie130 said:

OK, so if I set "fast sync" in NVidia Control panel, then unlimited fps in P3d, with a 30Hz monitor, anything above 30 fps should get dropped? That should ensure 30 solid fps, with those jumpy stutters eliminated?

That's the theory! 

Happy simming times ahead!

Cheers. 

I'm not sure about the NVidia Control Panel option, what I do is leave it alone (VSync OFF in there) and turn on VSync inside P3D v4, together with Triple Buffer (haven't noticed any difference, though) and yes, the FPS above 30 (not veeeeery precise, actually, it seems) will get dropped and the result is a very nice smoothness.

I was told to do this way and haven't (yet) tested doing it via NCP together or alone, maybe one of these days, but I won't feel strange if it doesn't work setting only via NCP.

I'm not sure about the NVidia Control Panel option, what I do is leave it alone (VSync OFF in there) and turn on VSync inside P3D v4, together with Triple Buffer (haven't noticed any difference, though) and yes, the FPS above 30 (not veeeeery precise, actually, it seems) will get dropped and the result is a very nice smoothness.

I was told to do this way and haven't (yet) tested doing it via NCP together or alone, maybe one of these days, but I won't feel strange if it doesn't work setting only via NCP.

Yes, I believe LM largely nullified the need for NCP use, in P3dv4. Bravo to them!

P3dv4 is, presumably, a different beast to it's predecessor. If it means I can stop fiddling with settings and just fly, I will be happy.

I will be giving it a go in a couple of weeks. Hopefully more devs will give us some higher definition flight decks and not stuff that began life in FSX and has been ported over to a 64 bit platform....:ohmy:  Then that 4k monitor will look even better!

Cheers.