Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

Figuring the altitude

My only complaint is when figuring the flight plan, I don't see the suggested altitude for the flight plan like we see in FSX and when I add my own, the numbers are very sensitive.

I have no idea what you are writing about... what is the background here? BTW: as soon as you select VFR or IFR and the method your flightplan should be plottet (VOR to VOR, high altitude airways etc.), P3D will also provide you with an suggested altitude. I do however not get what you are reffering to when writing "the numbers are very sensitive..."

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

When I start Prepared v4 there is the Scenario Screen. I click on Flight Planner near the bottom. I click IFR then low Altitude Airways. I can then see the flight plan where it shows the heading, etc. but I don't see where the suggested altitude is. Can you point out where that can be found?

What I meant what I said about sensitive numbers. Near the lower left of the Scenario Page, there's a box that you can add the cruising altitude. Many times Active Sky will suggest a better cruising altitude. When I go to add that altitude in that box, it's not that easy to add because it goes by individual feet. Do you understand now?

I still do not get it. If you let P3D build a flightplan, this box in the lower left corner will suggest you a crusining altitude. Or does it always read "0"? I think I experienced this already as well. Might be a bug. But setting the altitude from Active Sky is easy, simply click in the box and write the numbers in instead of adjusting it by the arrows next to it ;-)

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Hi Folks,

Do yourself a favor an download Alex's Little Navmap for flight planning - it gives you a profile view so you can see your ground clearance when planning a flight - with indicators for minimum enroute altitudes... Best thing since sliced bread and it's free...

https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thank's for the suggestion for Little NavMap but I already have it and it is great. The cruising altitude box always shows 000000 so I guess I'll just ignore it.

Hi...

OK - yeah - sorry - I'm a bit confused as well...

My flow starts with creating a Flight Plan in Little Navmap - save it - then load it into AS - then start P3D and load it into the Flight Planner - and the Flight Planner shows the altitude I set in Little Navmap ???

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

3 hours ago, jetsmell said:

When I start Prepared v4 there is the Scenario Screen. I click on Flight Planner near the bottom. I click IFR then low Altitude Airways. I can then see the flight plan where it shows the heading, etc. but I don't see where the suggested altitude is. Can you point out where that can be found?

What I meant what I said about sensitive numbers. Near the lower left of the Scenario Page, there's a box that you can add the cruising altitude. Many times Active Sky will suggest a better cruising altitude. When I go to add that altitude in that box, it's not that easy to add because it goes by individual feet. Do you understand now?

Inputting numbers into the altitude box into the lower left can be tedious if clicking. Have you tried clicking in the box and inputting the numbers using the keyboard? I find this way a lot more friendlier.

Your cruising altitude depends on many factors including type aircraft.  For example, a normally aspirated aircraft such as a C172 performs best at the altitude where cruise power is delivered with full throttle, which is generally around 7500 ft.  A B737 lightly loaded will perform best at FL410 if the stage length is long enough.  I recommend you become familiar enough with flight planning to allow you to pick the best altitude, rather than needing planning software to do it for you. A good source of information is the free FAA Airman's Information Manual (it was my bible when I was a student pilot) available here: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP