Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

My i7-2700k to i7-8700k upgrade experience!

46 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

If you say that the 8700@5GHz after the upgrade has twice as much FPS (= if you define this as "performance") as the previous 2700@4.8GHz with the same 1080TI card, then there must have been something wrong with the old system. I would expect only a slight increase in FPS depending on the situation.

I disagree the 1080Ti would have been completely CPU bound by the 2700K. I have seen a similar performance jump going from a 3930k 6core @4.4GHz to my new set up @4k resolution I ran v4 on both computers with the same 1080Ti.

Passmark lists their score for the 17-2700k as 8749 their score for the 8700k = 16444. The OP is seeing the results for himself.

• Upvote 1

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

55 minutes ago, Uteman said:

The OP is seeing the results for himself.

Well, the OP posted screenshots showing 18FPS when sitting on the runway in a PMDG 747. As I do not own the PMDG 747, I really wonder if those FPS numbers are really more than 2-3FPS higher compared to what he would achieve with a 2700K. I doubt... That's why it would be nice if someone could do a "real" comparison. Screenshot with the old CPU, screenshot with the new CPU. At least to me, 18FPS for such a scenario is far away from being impressive...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

5 hours ago, Cargostorm said:

If you say that the 8700@5GHz after the upgrade has twice as much FPS (= if you define this as "performance") as the previous 2700@4.8GHz with the same 1080TI card, then there must have been something wrong with the old system. I would expect only a slight increase in FPS depending on the situation.

Very well could have been.

That being said, I realized that I didn't specify thst I had never used v4 on my old system. Only v3.

That may have made a big difference.

Just out of curiosity, for those people who habe a 2600k or 2700k and are using p3d v4, are they getting the same performance as I am in these pictures? If so, that's so cool!

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

Well, the OP posted screenshots showing 18FPS when sitting on the runway in a PMDG 747. As I do not own the PMDG 747, I really wonder if those FPS numbers are really more than 2-3FPS higher compared to what he would achieve with a 2700K. I doubt... That's why it would be nice if someone could do a "real" comparison. Screenshot with the old CPU, screenshot with the new CPU. At least to me, 18FPS for such a scenario is far away from being impressive...

Yeah you're absolutely right. I went into pens nrocal configurwtoe and turned off the new night lights option and performance went up to about 30fps and was still perfectly smooth.

For what it's worth.

Fyi...to be honest...i was a little frustrated with thst scenario.

Matt kubanda

For those of you inquiring as to why I didn't take pictures with my old set up first, it's because I didn't even think about doing something like this until I saw the performance gains.

Because of this and because i only have one power supply, I'm unable to move said power supply back to my old pc.

Also, two things....

Someone mentioned that it isn't a real comparison and more of a personal experience.

The thread title explains just that. I also explained that it wasn't a scientific method of a benchmark.

The whole idea was to see how my brand new rig performed straight out of the box and for anyone else to compare their set up with what my pictures showed by going into THEIR own p3d set up and changing their settings to match mine and see how they compare to mine under the same situation.

I honestly didn't think I would have to provide before and after pictures when my idea was for each person to individually compare their current set up to mine.

Sorry if this is causing headaches for some. I just wanted the community to see what the 8700k was capable of because it's so hard to get one right now and no one has given any feedback whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

Matt kubanda

I will on Saturday dude, I promise.  From my first sightings it seems the 8700k is a beast.  But until I've got the fsl loaded up at the London sink hole or Toronto  I'm holding judgement 

14ppkc-6.png

1 hour ago, tooting said:

I will on Saturday dude, I promise.  From my first sightings it seems the 8700k is a beast.  But until I've got the fsl loaded up at the London sink hole or Toronto  I'm holding judgement 

The 8700k tanked at FlyTampa's EHAM. I had to drop the autogen levels way down for any real performance on par with other add on airports.

Matt kubanda

not a great pic as taken through teamviewer to show my temps on my 8700k.  thats locked at 30in the pmdg 773 with 4k vsync on at 30hertz.

Like I said its a bad quality pic as taken at work on my lunch on teamviewer,

screenshot1.jpg

14ppkc-6.png

So first small test last night was in the fsl.  Loaded up at egkk with ai on 100 percent, activesky and orbs England  on etc etc did a very quick circuit.  Frames at locked at 30 as I run in 30hertz in 4k.

It never dipped   below 28, no stutters,  smooth as hell and the CPU never went over 60 degrees or more than 70 percent load. And it's running at 5.2 overclocked

Under my old 3770k the frames would of been on average 18 GPS tops.  The CPU would of been at 100 percent. 

For me it's a game changer.   No heating issues as people were claiming. 

Pics to follow

• Upvote 2

14ppkc-6.png

Running at 5.2!?! 

Is that a super result for an 8700k or are we seeing alot of chips getting that high? What sort of cooling are you running?

I've never been able to get my 6700k above 4.6 stable.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Ok, that sounds promising. Two questions:

1. Did you replace the fans of the H110i with more quiet ones? Or are the stock fans not as bad as everybody says?

2. Did you perform a complete new install on your new rig or did you change the hw using the quick and dirty method?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Morning ANK.

1. I kept the stock fans and the noise is fine.  I also heard people replaced them with Noctua NF-A14 Industrial Class PWM

Fans link here    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/140mm-noctua-nf-a14-industrial-ppc-2000rpm-ip67-pwm-high-performance-fan?gclid=Cj0KCQiAuZXQBRDKARIsAMwpUeQqLt0lZTA-P7XnVdt_8lvqJ_NHBFxyoaS2bVsacbGkmiot6wW5wEgaAspQEALw_wcB

2. Complete new install.  the only thing I kept from my old rig was my SSD, DVD player and GPU  

IMG-20171108-_WA0005.jpg

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

But Ank... be careful the H110i  will only fit into certain cases,  and if your an old git at 40 years old (like me) the led lighting on the MOBO will drive you nuts but you can turn it off 

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

Now we have 2 confirmed cases of the 8700k apparently living up to its reputation.

@tooting What performance are you seeing with Dynamic lighting enabled. Its hit or miss for me. It depends on which scenery I am using. Sometimes its great, other times it drops below 20fps and isn't that smooth.

Matt kubanda