Sign in to follow this  
ahsmatt7

My i7-2700k to i7-8700k upgrade experience!

11 hours ago, tooting said:

But Ank... be careful the H110i  will only fit into certain cases,  and if your an old git at 40 years old (like me) the led lighting on the MOBO will drive you nuts but you can turn it off 

How Dare you not like led lighting! Pete I love it and i'm the same age lol

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

3 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Now we have 2 confirmed cases of the 8700k apparently living up to its reputation.

@tooting What performance are you seeing with Dynamic lighting enabled. Its hit or miss for me. It depends on which scenery I am using. Sometimes its great, other times it drops below 20fps and isn't that smooth.

Hi Matt,

in day day no problem, at night same thing its hit or miss down to 20.

but if I turn off dynamic light  the performance is through the roof. its jaw dropping

14ppkc-6.png

Doing first test flight on it now with all the  bells and whistles 

Www.twitch.tv/tebbsie

14ppkc-6.png

On 10/11/2017 at 8:42 AM, AnkH said:

Ok, that sounds promising. Two questions:

1. Did you replace the fans of the H110i with more quiet ones? Or are the stock fans not as bad as everybody says?

So with the cpu under load and the 110i also under load it not quiet by any means 

14ppkc-6.png

On 2017-11-09 at 1:33 AM, tooting said:

I also upgraded yesterday to the 8700k. Managed to get the new rig up and running in 4 hours. Will be testing this weekend. 

IMG-20171108-_WA0005.jpg

IMG-20171108-_WA0009.jpg

IMG-20171108-_WA0012.jpg

Both your memory sticks are in channel A. For Dual channel operation they need to be in DDR4_1 and DDR4_2

• Upvote 1

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

25 minutes ago, vincentrouleau said:

Both your memory sticks are in channel A. For Dual channel operation they need to be in DDR4_1 and DDR4_2

Thanks vince, so which slots please? 

A1 and b1?DSC_0003.jpg

14ppkc-6.png

14 minutes ago, tooting said:

No I wouldn't know how 

It's pretty simple - just stick it in a vice, and compress. Not much that can go wrong*, so give it a go and let us know how your temps are after this procedure. 

* - note: complete destruction of your CPU can - and quite possibly will - occur. No responsibility is taken in the event of this outcome, but if your chip is rendered useless, please post some pics here just for the lulz. Thankyou.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, MarkW said:

@ahsmatt7 and @tooting - Did either of you delid the 8700 before overclocking ?

No. I was too scared to. hahaha

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

54 minutes ago, tooting said:

Thanks vince, so which slots please? 

A1 and b1?DSC_0003.jpg

Exactly!

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

43 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

It's pretty simple - just stick it in a vice, and compress. Not much that can go wrong*, so give it a go and let us know how your temps are after this procedure. 

* - note: complete destruction of your CPU can - and quite possibly will - occur. No responsibility is taken in the event of this outcome, but if your chip is rendered useless, please post some pics here just for the lulz. Thankyou.

ill give that a miss cheers.. did make me chuckle though

14ppkc-6.png

40 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Exactly!

thanks just swapped it wrong... dont i feel the muppet !!

14ppkc-6.png