Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[16NOV17] PMDG DC-6 Cloudmaster Update and some important NOTAMs

4 hours ago, xTiMm_ said:

I never refreshed a profile in a forum as much as I did for RSR in the last hours.
He told us to not step away for too much ... where are the news? :ampun::dry::biggrin:

It’s PMDG, check back in about another 6 months!!!

Couple things:

1. DC-6 History: Robert (KORDATC) was somewhat correct in his post about the DC-6. If you look at the images in the first "this is a classic" post, you'll definitely note that the textures on the taxiways, runways, and trees are definitely those of FSX. All the same, the DC-6's main purpose was to address development strategies for XPL.

2. Purchasing Projects: Any of you ever leave your current town - say, for vacation/holiday - and note that the locals in this new place are a bit hard to understand because of their dialect, accent, or anything like that? Coding is actually somewhat similar. How I write code is slightly different from how some of my co-workers write code, but when I'm working with them, I usually adopt their styles (and even then, they usually have slight variations in styles, so how I work on one code base is different from how I work on the other). Since I understand their coding 'dialects' it isn't a huge issue. Purchasing a project from some other company, though, you have no idea what kinds of best practices, coding techniques or workarounds, or any of that they used, or didn't use. It may be in a very odd dialect. Moreover, code is largely free form. You can write things all kinds of different ways. In order to understand it, you have to sit there and start parsing through all of the lines (usually in a group of files that you jump between) to come to an even basic understanding. If something doesn't work, good luck finding the bug, particularly if the code isn't in the greatest shape. Having written my own code, it's usually simpler to troubleshoot, as I know the references between the functions and source files.

On more than one occasion, I've even burnt some of my own projects to the ground to start over, because it would be faster to clean sheet the whole thing than it would be to try to continue with existing code, or adapt some project you've already started on. Keeping that in mind, for some, taking over another company's project may be a good idea (DTG with FSX, and LM with ESP, for example). For others, it may not be the type of bet you'd want to make.

The above is not meant to be any specific commentary on my idea of what any other company's code may or may not be like. It's just a simple observation of, when it comes to code, sometimes, even for your own code, you want to burn it to the ground and start over, and you do it because it'll be faster and better to do it that way. If Company A had a great coder, and an awful model, but Company Z wanted to sell their project, that might make it a good buy for Company A, since they would have a good model, and could either re-write the code, or use existing code as a guide to start over with their own. For Company B, who has a team of talented people to take care of everything in house, it may not be. (i.e. An unfinished project isn't necessarily going to be easier/quicker to market, and it may not necessarily be a wise investment.)

3. Unmet expectations: With few exceptions, I think even the people with wildly off-base guesses will enjoy what this 'stuff' is, even if it isn't what they thought it would be. :ph34r:
  • Upvote 4

Kyle Rodgers

19 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Unmet expectations: With few exceptions, I think even the people with wildly off-base guesses will enjoy what this 'stuff' is, even if it isn't what they thought it would be. :ph34r:

Do enlighten us, wise Buddha!

2 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

There's a reason for my signature image, and its allusion to Skunkworks...

Also, if you really want a mind trip, my signature image is a (flattened) JPG export of a layered PSD. I sent a preview to RSR and he thought it revealed a little too much, so I inserted a black layer between the text and blue box, and the original background image, to hide the details.

So...you're seeing it, but not able to actually see it...

1986282.jpg

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

8 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

For the love of god man - please STOP with the minute by minute play by here - 

Go fly your sim for a bit.....please

4 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

For the love of god man - please STOP with the minute by minute play by here - 

Go fly your sim for a bit.....please

What’d I do?

7 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

There's a reason for my signature image, and its allusion to Skunkworks...

Also, if you really want a mind trip, my signature image is a (flattened) JPG export of a layered PSD. I sent a preview to RSR and he thought it revealed a little too much, so I inserted a black layer between the text and blue box, and the original background image, to hide the details.

So...you're seeing it, but not able to actually see it...

1986282.jpg

😧

On 11/15/2017 at 7:03 PM, rsrandazzo said:

NOTAM #3: Man, oh MAN do you need to see what we are working on.  :-)

We have been holding back on you a bit, as we want to keep a few things close to the vest, but we are rapidly nearing the time when we can start to talk with you about what is coming.  Some stuff you have never imagined, some stuff you probably never expected, and some stuff that will leave you wondering whether we were reading your mind...

This "stir-the-pot" stuff is never really productive - and then you guys wonder why people whip themselves up into a frenzy?

Just tell us when you are ready to tell us. No need for the cutesy bit.

• Upvote 4

On 11/17/2017 at 5:43 PM, DavidP said:

If you dish it out you should be prepared to take it.

Well said DavidP. I don't understand why some people feel they have a right to speak freely, and to get overly careless with their choice of words, but when they are replied in the same manner, and as in this case, much less - should I say - abrasive words, they get very offended.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

1 hour ago, anubhavs said:

This "stir-the-pot" stuff is never really productive - and then you guys wonder why people whip themselves up into a frenzy?

Just tell us when you are ready to tell us. No need for the cutesy bit.

So what you’re saying is forgo the updates. Got it.

(Also: Where did we wonder why people got frenzied...?)

Yo RSR, we can ignore the forum and just stick to coding again! They don’t like updates or something...

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

On 11/18/2017 at 0:58 AM, Anders Bermann said:

You may have the 'right to air your opinion' but you do not have 'the right' to do anything in here. Byt the way, I really hate that expression, to be honest. Not the freedom of speech conecpt, but the self promoting attitude/right of free speech. Mostly because it's either used wrong or doesn't fit the circumstances of which it's proclaimed.

This may be a public forum, but it isn't a freedom-of-speech forum - even if it's close. This forum is the domain of PMDG and it's moderated by PMDG's moderation team - hence you can put away your self righteous 'I have the right to air everything which come to mind' attitude. PMDG lays down the law, of what you can talk utter in here.

I'm not going to defend Kyle - he can fight his own battles. Suffice to say, I personally can't find anything wrong with his response. You started out by making a rather unjust and harsh comment leveled at PMDG. He gave back with a professional response which pointed the facts.

Quite frankly, if you're so unhappy about the status of things, you're more than entitled to open up your own blog, and write about it there...

Absolutely right!!!

• Upvote 1

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara