Sign in to follow this  
ssair1

Dynamic Lighting!

Wow, :biggrin:

DL does need optimizing. We can all agree?

DL is very nice and a great step forward. Can look stunning when taxing.

IF and its a B I G if, if you have set your P3D to run smooth at a locked FPS that's below the minimum you see, in my case with a 3 year old PC. I fly the FSL A320 (most of the time) with DL ON. FPS locked at 24 (25 within the sim but that's a different topic) It never drops below that. So i dont give a monkeys back side what % DL is using because with my sim locked at 24 it stays there. So I don't care it its using 30% or 50% of my 1070 GPU as long as I can run my sim as I do.

With a 8700 and a 1080Ti I see no reason at all that anyone with time and effort could not set the sim to run perfect at 26FPS and if you never see it drop below? who cares!

If I had a 8700@5 and a 1080Ti I would probably not even try any higher FPS as I have now, 24. I would just adjust sliders to not drop below. 

It only matters if it kills you fps to make the sim INOP. Then you turn it off and fly in the day time. Upgrade your PC or wait for optimization that am sure will come.

"a real threat and a serious one" "epic fail" 

Lets put that into perspective on your PC you say you run 30 FPS and it drops to 27. 

3 FPS at worst. Really!! I wish I had your problem with a 8700 and a 1080Ti and losing 3 FPS! at worst case scenario. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Lets put that into perspective on your PC you say you run 30 FPS and it drops to 27. 

3 FPS at worst. Really!! I wish I had your problem with a 8700 and a 1080Ti and losing 3 FPS! at worst case scenario. 

No problem, if you are content with 24 FPS and prepared to sacrifice 50% of GPU for better lights. But, please, be so kind and read before you comment. Can you quote where anyone says his FPS drops from 30 to 27? On the contrary, I prove here that the dynamic lighting can easily cause a drop from 51 to 14 FPS, all other things equal:

Roman Heriban
Prepar3D v4 | Windows 10 | 1080Ti & 8700K at 4800MHz
FSLabs A320, Active Sky + Sky Force 3D, MCE, PF3, ChasePlane, etc.

sbsim.com

Roman,

With all the talk on 27 FPS on the last page I lost the thread of this over the top topic that's been done to death. My mistake.

But having said that if I can run 24 FPS with DL on I see no reason why you should not find a step up to keep even 30 FPS with DL On at night.

Because you don't need anything more than MSAA and you don't need veg autogen when in a A320 when it's night time to name just a two thing that anyone can change along with anything else deemed worthless when it's black outside the windows. I have a setting just for night time and never seen anything like 14 FPS.

Yes am very content with 24 FPS as I have no stutters or long frames and is smooth as can be. As for what % of CPU it's taking like I said I don't care because I don't see any lose because i've set it up to work with DL at night.

But with high setting like are nice in daytime when DL really is not needed and to use the same setting at night is a huge waste of time. Dusk and dawn is another matter.

DL does need working on no one can disagree with that, but with your PC there is no reason why you should not enjoy the sim fully if you wish to even at night. 

"a real threat and a serious one" "epic fail" are...well.....a bit silly.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

On 12/22/2017 at 8:36 AM, simbol said:

I disagree, I have plenty of customers using DL under 4k, of course the compromise in other parts of their settings.

Simbol 

Simbol, if not 4k monitor, what would be better settings, MSAA or SSAA.....? I think I changed and didn't see any difference in performance...Just my GPU is more used now or where it should be....

Alex 

22 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Simbol, if not 4k monitor, what would be better settings, MSAA or SSAA.....? I think I changed and didn't see any difference in performance...Just my GPU is more used now or where it should be....

SSAA will give you more anti aliasing and more detail level.

Use the one that makes you happier with your current hardware.

Simbol 

19 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Thanks Simbol...seems to me everything I tried getting same result...LOL...

If you have a 1080ti try to set your TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 you will see a nice improvement of sharp textures.

Be sure to have enough system ram before trying it.

Simbol 

Did a test at ESSA orbx night close to A9 , run 4k 4mssa  same settings as SBS9 ,can be some diffs not know all his settings.

I have stronger Hardware that make the difference, 

DLoff 60fps DL on 47fps 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Thanks...SSAA or MSAA than? I have newest ASUS 32",  4xSSAA I guess?

Try from lower to higher to confirm you are happy with performance.

Put the parameter at 9, use MSAA first, then 2xSSAA, etc.

Also disable FXAA it makes things blurry.

Simbol 

Edited by simbol
More information

Thanks....will try, I don't know why, but will do. Ever since I switched from FSX to v4 looks perfect, but I guess we always want to "fix" something....LOL

Alex 

1 hour ago, westman said:

Did a test at ESSA orbx night close to A9 , run 4k 4mssa  same settings as SBS9 ,can be some diffs not know all his settings.

I have stronger Hardware that make the difference, 

DLoff 60fps DL on 47fps 

That is a 22% decrease. More than 1/5 of your performance is wasted for a couple of airport lights. A disaster!

By the way, you say same settings as me, without knowing my settings? A good joke :D

Roman Heriban
Prepar3D v4 | Windows 10 | 1080Ti & 8700K at 4800MHz
FSLabs A320, Active Sky + Sky Force 3D, MCE, PF3, ChasePlane, etc.

sbsim.com

2 minutes ago, sbs9 said:

That is a 22% decrease. More than 1/5 of your performance is wasted for a couple of airport lights. A disaster!

By the way, you say same settings as me, without knowing my settings? A good joke :D

Roman - as long as you stay fixated on FPS you are not going to be happy with P3D. You might consider going back to FSX where FPS is king. Those of us who run at lower (20-30) fps don't seen that  big of a difference. High fps puts a bigger strain on the CPU/GPU combination so when you add DL, you need to get that processing power from somewhere - then your FPS tank. Running at a locked low fps gives the CPU/GPU combination the breathing room to handle DL and other stressers ( heavy clouds and tstorms) with little or no impact.

I'll say it one more time -  take the time to tune YOUR system to the LOWEST fps possible where you can maintain SMOOTH performance with the settings you like. On YOUR system, that should be between 20-30 fps. Even if there is a slight percentage drop in performance, the big question is whether is affects the SMOOTH operation of P3D. If not, forget about it.

There is NO sim on the market that doesn't need some code optimization for max efficiency but, in today's market place we just tend to throw better hardware to overcome some old code defects.

SO, if you want to keep measuring percentages and wasted CPU/GPU time, go ahead - I'd rather enjoy the best parts of P3D than worry about the worst parts.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors