Sign in to follow this  
ssair1

Dynamic Lighting!

After a considerable amount of time spent experimenting and attempting at tweaks, I've finally decided that the costs of the "dynamic lighting" feature of Prepar3dv4, in terms of performance, far outweigh its benefits. How many times have you experienced studders and low frame rates during your most critical phases of flight, i.e attempting that blissful flare prior to touchdown? Well, it felt amazing to uncheck "dynamic lighting" in my graphics settings and get that smoothness back, without even having to wait for my sim to reload :) Please tell me about your experience, are you running it or not? Is there any hope for "dynamic lighting" at the end of the dark tunnel? :) 

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

With moderate settings at KSFO at night using Flightbeam's SFO v2, I am seeing locked 30 fps with no stutters and it being perfectly smooth. It seems to depend system to system.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

Enjoy your dark and bleak unrealistic night flying!

What a sarcastic comment! Although the "Dynamic Lighting" feature is an attempt at realism, it does NOT disable lighting. I would advise you to do some research before posting up a response in this forum, Mitch. 

• Upvote 6

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle. 

You and everyone else. Seriously, people are posting this stuff as if they are the first ones to take notice.....

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1 hour ago, Milton Waddams said:

With moderate settings at KSFO at night using Flightbeam's SFO v2, I am seeing locked 30 fps with no stutters and it being perfectly smooth. It seems to depend system to system.

Good points, Milton; it really does vary system to system. Anyways, since my first post, I realized that it was actually a high SSAA setting that was the culprit of my low fps, especially with the landing and taxi lights on full blast. I went from 4xSSAA to 2xMSAA and noticed a considerable improvement in FPS and smoothness. In terms of locking in my FPS, I've noticed better performance on unlimited and kept it as such, would you recommend otherwise? 

Regards,

Shelman S.

1 hour ago, Mitch24 said:

Enjoy your dark and bleak unrealistic night flying!

What a silly comment! Dynamic lighting isn't all that!

• Upvote 2

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

After seeing that DL was limited from the start and then the performance penalty, I just left it unchecked from day 1. I am fine with the old lighting system where I can achieve a smooth flight.

Why is it so important to get in the last word...quick, someone post after me!

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

7 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

Why is it so important to get in the last word...quick, someone post after me!

You gotta get in before the lock!

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

You are probably using display settings that are too high and running your system at 4k.

Now what hardware do you have? If anybody wants to use DL under 4k with SSAA enabled it just has unrealistic expectations.

This has been explained here in the forums before several times.

For DL to work under 4k you need to forget about SSAA and be sure you have a monster of a video card, 1080ti is highly recommended.

Simbol 

If it wasn't for Vic and the occasional use of his big gun (the lock) these forums would look like a nasty scene from GTA V 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, ssair1 said:

What a sarcastic comment! Although the "Dynamic Lighting" feature is an attempt at realism, it does NOT disable lighting. I would advise you to do some research before posting up a response in this forum, Mitch. 

well, it does for e.g. PMDG. So not fully sarcastic, just a bit short mouthed ;).

But yeah, I'm also still doubting, but for now.. I just love the dynamic lights on Ai and online flying.. somehow

Victor Roos