Sign in to follow this  
braudoux

How to know if Navigraph extension is installed

Hi guys,

How to notice if the extension is properly installed... I see no difference in the MFD which shows a Database expiring on 30-MAR-2016 despite my latest update to AIRAC 1713  I have a Navigraph yearly subscription.

So I am not quite sure if the install was successful or maybe I forgot to declare it somewhere !

Thanks for your help

Bruno

P3D v4.1 , W10-64

P3D V4.5 on SSD512 - W10.64
All add-ons on HDD 2To
Intel Core I9+9900K, RAM32Gb, NVidia RTX2080TI, Surround 3 x 27inc, VR Pimax5K+
Saitex X55, Saitek Yoke Pro + Throttle quadrant, Multi panel, Saitek Rudder pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x2

HI,

Everytime I update the AIRAC (I use the navigraph FMC mgm app), the first time I choose the Phenom, a pop-up window announces the plane is rebuilding the navigation database bacause of the new airac.

Greetings and hny

Hi Bruno.

My apologies for the late reply. If you are using the G1000 display then the MFD will show you the current cycle that is installed. Here is how to see it. In the MFD there is a small window at the lower right side. There are four options in it plus some small boxes. These options are MAP WPT AUX NRST. Use the outer (larger) FMS knob to scroll to the AUX option. At the top of the display it should indicate the AUX - TRIP PLANNING page. Use the inner Smaller) knob to scroll to the last box. The display will now show that you are on the AUX - SYSTEM STATUS page. On the right hand side you will see four sections, the third one says AVIATION and the third line will show the EFFECTIVE cycle mine shows as o4-JAN-18 in yellow. The fourth line will show the EXPIRES date, mine is 31-JAN-31 in blue.

If you are using the Flight1 GTN750 then that depends on Garmin updating the AIRAC database in their trainer. I am sure though, given the fact that you mention you have a Navigraph subscription, then you are using the G1000 unit.

Also as ******* has said you will see a small information window appear in FSX when you load the Phenom and you have updated to a new Navigraph cycle. This window states that it is updating the Carenado navigation database.

I hope this helps.

Regards...Ken.

Hi ******* and Ken,

Thanks for your replies.

While launching the aircraft, I did get the message stating that Navigraph datbase is being updated. Then I followed your path, Ken, and effectively the Navigraph update is OK.

But I still don't understand why the main page still shows the date 2016 for the DB status !

Do you have the same situation?

Thanks again and happy new year

Bruno

FDgEtJQ.jpg

All add-ons on HDD 2To
Saitex X55, Saitek Yoke Pro + Throttle quadrant, Multi panel, Saitek Rudder pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x2

Hi Bruno.

Yes, my start up screen is the same. It must be a graphic, there must be a bitmap somewhere with that image. I wonder if it can be found and edited. Yet another project!!

Cheers...Ken.

Thanks Ken,

Another project that would include an automatic update of the graphic based on the current AIRAC...

Not that makes sense :laugh: We can fly as it...

All add-ons on HDD 2To

Hi Bruno.

I'm sure I've looked in all of the Phenom folders and the only bmp I can find is one called General. I opened it in DXT2bmp and it is a purple coloured mess of digital noise. They must have used a code of some sort to extract it. I'm no expert, so I'm stumped at the moment. It would have been nice to have a normal bmp that we could manipulate to change the dates.

Cheers...Ken.

Hey Bruno.

Right, I've found the bmp file that shows the MFD startup screen. It is called mfd_splashscreen.bmp and is in a CAB file called EMB505_G1000N . The CAB is in the FSX\Gauges folder. I have unpacked it using 7zip and I've made changes to the image to show the current cycle date. I will repack it and see how it looks. The thing is, I'm not terribly keen on unpacking the CAB every 28 days to change the date in the image. It might be okay but there again I might corrupt the CAB file. I've made a copy of it right enough, so I suppose it would be worth a try a few times.

Regards...Ken.

p.s. remind me how to add a screenshot here, if you don't mind.

Hi Ken,

I did not receive any notification to inform me that you replied... Sorry for being late !

Thanks for the investigation.. I have done the modification for Feb (see below) but I don't know how to import it in the CAB file... Impossible from the 7zip app... Any idea?

zBajleP.png

To upload a screenshot here, first save you pix onto a server (I use ShareX myself) and include the image address in your post... as simple as that ;)

Regards

Bruno

All add-ons on HDD 2To

Hello Bruno.

That's looking cool. Thanks too for the info on screenshots. Okay, here's what I do regarding the CAB file. I'm assuming you have the SDK for FSX. In the SDK folder there are four other folders. One of them is called the SimObject Creation Kit. Inside that folder there are three other folders. One of them is called the Cabdir SDK. Inside there are two files. one is the html instructions and the other file is the Cabdir.exe.

The Cabdir.exe is what remakes the CAB file for you to place back into the Gauges folder of FSX.....I hope you can follow this down so far.

Here is what I have done, and I know that you may have your own way of wanting to lay things out, but I'm not a techie as such. So KISS applies for me.:cool:

On my Desktop I made a new folder and called it Make_CAB  I then copied over the Cabdir.exe file into my new Make_CAB folder.

I also have a new Desktop folder called Carenado G1000 files. In here I copy the EMB505_G1000N.CAB after having made a backup of it in the Gauges folder. (just in case things go belly up)

Once you have made your changes and saved back into the opened up cab file, which I have in my Carenado G1000 folder on my desktop, you then open the Make_CAB folder on the Desktop, which now has the Cabdir.exe in it.

You then simply drag the EMB505_G1000N folder across from the Carenado G1000 files folder and place it onto the Cabdir.exe file shortcut in the Make_CAB folder.

You should then see a small window open that will show the progress of the recompilation. It only takes a few seconds. You will then have a new EMB505_G1000N.CAB file in the Carenado G1000 files folder. You then place this back into the Gauges folder of FSX and overwrite the original, hence the need for a backup.

Phew,,,, I do hope this makes sense to you and there may well be a better way to do it, but this works for me. Write it out on paper first and make a flow diagram. Although once you see how it works and you make the folders it is actually quite straightforward. Just remember to backup the original!!

Best Regards...Ken.

Edited by kenny584
Misspell of a word.

This is a lot of work... here is a simpler route..

Unpack the cab file and put the contents into a subfolder to the Gauges folder with the same name as the cab file.

From now on, P3D will use the folder instead of the cab file.

If you are the "belt and suspenders" type, you can add ".off" to the cab filename. :happy:

Bert

Hi Bert.

Sorry for  the late reply. I do remember reading in another thread, a reply from Bill Leeming, where he mentions making use of Folders in place of the CAB files. I'm having an issue with the xml code for the G1000 unit. However, I'll post that as another topic.

Cheers...Ken.

Thanks Ken, I will try your method... and also the Bert's one as I am P3D user.

But as you said in an earlier post, not sure that all these manipulations worth for such a small issue ! I will see. Anyway thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

Bruino

All add-ons on HDD 2To