Sign in to follow this  
pmb

REX Skyforce manual available/release imminent

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

OK guys it's clear to see a lot of you are cynical and will stay with AS no matter what. Why not it's great, can we agree on that!

So what "tests" do you want to see.

I thought of this.

Same flight, same time etc.

A flight with AS/ASCA

Full skyforce daytime in real time ofc if no historical.

Skyforce?AS WX.

Have you got a good flightplan with different WX and a date time? 

Contribute. Give airport time date for a snap shot.

Since you're clearly cynical let's compare so we can all see what's better even if it confirms AS/ASCA is still the best. 

David 'Guns Blazing' Murden

:laugh:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Yeah, as will we all. 

But the acid test is - if it handles/displays/represents the worst case scenario really well (or at least convincingly), then it should in theory, handle anything less, in a similar fashion.

Fair Erich; I'll admit I might be a little harsh concerning REX products.  Yet, I really have grown weary of their marketing tactics and I'm genuinely curious why they're held in such high regard.  To be honest, I prefer HiFi, who say nothing until their product is released; plus, their apps consistently work as described.  Nevertheless, I'm hopeful SkyForce brings something new to our simming experience and forces others to up their games.  

• Upvote 1

Matt King

4 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

OK guys it's clear to see a lot of you are cynical and will stay with AS no matter what. Why not it's great, can we agree on that!

So what "tests" do you want to see.

I thought of this.

Same flight, same time etc.

A flight with AS/ASCA

Full skyforce daytime in real time ofc if no historical.

Skyforce?AS WX.

Have you got a good flightplan with different WX and a date time? 

Contribute. Give airport time date for a snap shot.

Since you're clearly cynical let's compare so we can all see what's better even if it confirms AS/ASCA is still the best. 

Great idea, sir.  Will look forward to your report; you seem to be a fair person...

Matt King

1 minute ago, kingm56 said:

Fair Erich; I'll admit I might be a little harsh concerning REX products.  Yet, I really have grown weary of their marketing tactics and I'm genuinely curious why they're held in such high regard.  To be honest, I prefer HiFi, who say nothing until their product is released; plus, their apps consistently work as described.  Nevertheless, I'm hopeful SkyForce brings something new to our simming experience and forces others to up their games.  

If Sky Force doesn't live up to the hype (most of which we have created ourselves, mind), then REX will just default to a texture shop and it'll be somewhat reputationally damaging for the company.   I doubt they will risk that.  Also going by @DaveCT2003 's somewhat muted commentary, it sounds promising.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

There might be a reason for being cynical as REX often tends to overhype their products and rarely delivers in time what they promise. Just experience.

Despite, I think I'll give Skyforce a shot. Maybe I'll be positively surprised.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 minute ago, pmb said:

There might be a reason for being cynical as REX often tends to overhype their products and rarely delivers in time what they promise. Just experience.

Despite, I think I'll give Skyforce a shot. Maybe I'll be positively surprised.

Kind regards, Michael

Why don't others see this, Mike?  

Matt King

9 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Why don't others see this, Mike?  

Because we're all blinded by The Dark Side!

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Just now, Anders Bermann said:

Because we're all blinded by The Dark Side!

LOL; again, I'm hopeful...i don't think you can blame our skepticism though.  After all, review this line from their products page:

'Even with costly similar aftermarket products installed, weather systems severely lack due to the constraints of the simulator SDK. SKY FORCE 3D BREAKS THIS BARRIER'

In that one line, they're calling 'similar aftermarket products' (e.g. AS2016) inferior and overpriced.  Really, AS2016 is currently $30 and includes a wx radar; combined with ASCA its $45.  Does anyone consider that a 'costly' product?  To be clear, HiFi also works around ESPs embedded weather engine (i.e. SDK); so, REX is hardly 'breaking that barrier.'  Again, just one of many hyperbole lines...

• Upvote 3

Matt King

11 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

LOL; again, I'm hopeful...i don't think you can blame our skepticism though.  After all, review this line from their products page:

'Even with costly similar aftermarket products installed, weather systems severely lack due to the constraints of the simulator SDK. SKY FORCE 3D BREAKS THIS BARRIER'

In that one line, they're calling 'similar aftermarket products' (e.g. AS2016) inferior and overpriced.  Really, AS2016 is currently $30 and includes a wx radar; combined with ASCA its $45.  Does anyone consider that a 'costly' product?  To be clear, HiFi also works around ESPs embedded weather engine (i.e. SDK); so, REX is hardly 'breaking that barrier.'  Again, just one of many hyperbole lines...

I don't blame anyone for their skepticism. In fact, I'm quite skeptic when it comes to the results. But to be honest (and call me naive or stupid) but my hopes for this addon, far outreaches my skepticism - currently. We'll see how it goes, when it's released... 

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

1 minute ago, frankielera said:

At the very least, I like the name Skyforce better than AS16.:biggrin:

You do know, that AS16 is an abbreviation for ActiveSky 2016, right? In that context, I don't know which name would win, to be honest.

If it came down to SF3D vs AS16 - AS16, would take the trophy in my book.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

39 minutes ago, pmb said:

Indeed. I will await the user experiences before trying it though. The manual doesn’t convince me. 

BTW Concerning the automatic syncing of textures: nice as it may sound I always wonder how realistic the results are. And yes, this also goes for ASCA. I mean, it may as well be a totally random selection of textures that are being loaded into the sim. who here ever will check if the changes you see in the sim are actually realistic? How can an addon pick cloud textures or sky textures based on METAR only? I am really sceptical when it comes to this. Again, this goes for SkyForce as well as ASCA or any other real time texture injector. I think people often are too good of faith here (or however you say that in English): something changes and wow, yes, cool, this is realistic... while it may as well be a totally random change.

I have been a pilot in the real world for a long time. AS 16 with soft clouds looks pretty darn realistic to me, and I am sticking with it. If it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

28 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Well, AS2016 + ASCA is around €50 + VAT (where applicable). Here in Denmark (where we have a VAT of 25%), that translates into a total of €63.85. It's on the high side in my opinion... I'm fairly certain, that SkyForce 3D will be below this.

That being said, they're certainly aiming high, with this kind of aggressive marketing. I understand your skepticism but I think it would be fair to hold off on your conclusions about what SkyForce does and doesn't do, until it's released. After all, we don't even know how or what the product does exactly, yet.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

I will say this though.  I am really looking forward to the REX textures (or should I say, 3D cloud models).  I have been using ASCA and Envtex clouds since ASCA's release, and although they are completely fine and plausible, I have never been completely happy with the way they look. in all scenarios.  Some are more convincing than others.