pmb

REX Skyforce manual available/release imminent

According to the REX facebook page

https://de-de.facebook.com/REXSimulations/ 

the release of REX Skyforce can be expected within the next day. The manual is already available and can be downloaded from the link given on their facebook page.

From a first glance, I would call the manual well-written and structured. We'll see if the same applies to the program.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 4

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Curious. ..u have AS16 WITH SOFT clouds and rex textures direct andso not in the market for a replacement but will have a look. ..

Thanks for the info. I'll be watching this closely. 

I read their website and learned this is a complete replacement for AS16 etc. I thought it was just a replacement for the clouds. Very cool.

...or not.

Reading the manual the weather engine is not included. They are referencing 'Rex weather engine', which I'm not familiar with.

Looking forward to this. In case I missed something, I don't see a claim that is being released tomorrow. Any idea where is this information?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

...Reading the manual the weather engine is not included. They are referencing 'Rex weather engine', which I'm not familiar with.

The first two features listed on page one of the manual states  SKY FORCE 3D IS
THE FOLLOWING:

• 3D Cloud Model Structures, based on
real-world cloud classification

• Intelligent Weather Engine with Real-Time
Weather and Cloud Model Synchronization

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the heads up - a very comprehensive pre-read indeed! Also nice to know it integrates with existing weather engines.

This is really cool:

The real-time sync mode of Sky Force is more tied to certain key weather conditions. For example, other 3rd-party weather engines may read a thunderstorm at an airport and then display that via the flight simulator injected weather. To that weather engine a thunderstorm is a thunderstorm, nothing more.
Utilizing real-time model data and our weather engine we can generate weather at a whole new level. From this data, we can determine the atmosphere’s stability. This allows Sky Force to sync the correct 3D cloud models and weather to generate the proper thunderstorm structures.
The beauty of Sky Force is that you can still receive the benefit of close to realworld cloud classification and key weather elements even without the use of the REX weather engine being enabled.
For example, if the weather conditions report a wall cloud or funnel cloud, then Real-Time Sync Mode will automatically inject the models that support those conditions while you are sim – no matter which weather engine you use.

Good news. I wish the REX team success with Skyforce 3D.

So what’s the general consensus on what weather engine to use? I noticed almost all of the global cloud rendering systems, like Cirrus and cumulus, require it as well as most of the turbulence settings.

As it does not work (Weather Engine ) with PMDG weather radar, I will stick with As2016. Be interesting how the clouds look though, once most have tried it out.

I'm particularly looking forward to the frame rate improvement in dense cloud settings. Wish they'd lift the NDA to the beta team to learn if Skyforce 3D improves framerates when tied to Active Sky as weather engine.

Reading the manual it looks like a mahjor step up from AS.

Hope the proof is in the pudding and it lives up to the screenshots and hype.

If the weather is shown in a much more accurate way with the REX weather engine it may be very hard to use Activesky weather engine just for the sole purpose of PMDG wx ND display.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, B777ER said:

If the weather is shown in a much more accurate way with the REX weather engine it may be very hard to use Activesky weather engine just for the sole purpose of PMDG wx ND display.

Agreed... wondering if there's some way to have AS16 open, but just 'on standby' and not injecting any weather? The AS16 module relays weather data which is presented in FSX/P3D to PMDG's weather radar system... but it requires AS16 to be open - just having the module running and loaded as part of the sim, doesn't cut it. 

If it was somehow possible to have AS16 running but not doing anything - the module would relay the weather in FSX/P3D from the REX weather engine to PMDG's weather system. But alas, I can't find anywhere in AS16 to shut if off, and not injecting weather... and having two weather engines fighting is just a recipe for disaster.

• Upvote 1

for me, except the 3d models being fancy, it doesn't look like something that would replace asca for me. I miss the "update sky texture" realistically feature. I mean, sure, I can pick one I like, but that isn't how it works in the right condition..is it? It can't pick the sky colour for me? :-o

same goes for the cloud models. I don't want to have to check whether to enable "tornado" cloud model before flying. Ir has to do that on its own. Right?

I read the manual, but not a word about a networked/remote installation like AS16.
Did they say anything about that yet?

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Agreed... wondering if there's some way to have AS16 open, but just 'on standby' and not injecting any weather? The AS16 module relays weather data which is presented in FSX/P3D to PMDG's weather radar system... but it requires AS16 to be open - just having the module running and loaded as part of the sim, doesn't cut it. 

If it was somehow possible to have AS16 running but not doing anything - the module would relay the weather in FSX/P3D from the REX weather engine to PMDG's weather system. But alas, I can't find anywhere in AS16 to shut if off, and not injecting weather... and having two weather engines fighting is just a recipe for disaster.

Hi Anders,
Seems like when using AS Wx Control >Custom Weather, no data is injected unless you add some manually. It could do the trick if left empty.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, David Roch said:

Hi Anders,
Seems like when using AS Wx Control >Custom Weather, no data is injected unless you add some manually. It could do the trick if left empty.

Yep. I was playing around with it. And it seems, that it could be a solution. Unfortunately, AS16 needs to be running in the background, in order for the AS module to send data to the PMDG weather radar system. But as far as I can see, the AS module, relays the weather which is injected in FSX/P3D (because you can get returns from using a built in weather theme - briefly, before AS16 again takes over...).

I guess one could try that? Try setting AS16 in Custom Weather mode and not setting anything. And then starting up FSX/P3D and setting a weather theme with some rain clouds or Thunderstorm theme... if that works, then maybe there's hope... :smile:

This makes things complicated when an aircraft like PMDGs only read an exclusive wx engine like AS16. Whereas other aircraft like AS buses read wx radar what the sim is displaying. Doesnt matter what wx engine your using. So even if REX wx engine supersedes other engines you still cant use it if you want to fly those aircraft that read only one type of data. Seems silly. 

• Upvote 1

Too good to be true!

It doesn't work unfortunately. Weather stays the same, awaiting for AS input.

48 minutes ago, Egbert Drenth said:

I read the manual, but not a word about a networked/remote installation like AS16.

Deng! That was my disappointment after a glace through the manual, too. No mention of networking at all. While former REX products did work from a client, this doesn't seem to apply to Skyforce. This may be irrelevant for the texture engine, but the weather engine would be nice to have networked to free resources from the main machine.

It's also inconvenient to have the weather display (looking quite nice from the manual) active on the main screen.

When using AS2016, I have it networked with the weather display on the laptop all the time. 

Kind regards, Michael

14 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

This makes things complicated when an aircraft like PMDGs only read an exclusive wx engine like AS16. Whereas other aircraft like AS buses read wx radar what the sim is displaying. Doesnt matter what wx engine your using. So even if REX wx engine supersedes other engines you still cant use it if you want to fly those aircraft that read only one type of data. Seems silly. 

Hmm if that's the way it works (and I fear you're right, unfortunately) I guess, that there's no way to make it work... 

One could of course still use REX SkyForce 3D with AS16.

The frame rates does not look to good in there introduction video- stuttering all over the show

1 minute ago, kurtb said:

The frame rates does not look to good in there introduction video- stuttering all over the show

FPS and performance is quite hard to determine from a video! I would wait for the final product in order to see what's the performance is like.

Don't jump to conclusions.