Sign in to follow this  

Cloud texture addons: who needs 20 GB of textures...

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

DTX5 Clouds to 512 Erich, the softer the better and the least hit on performance the better for me.

I think I'll try that.  Mine are currently at 2K, and (sometimes) I don't like the hard edged cumulus

Edit:  setting cloud draw at 200NM also sounds like a winner.

22 minutes ago, J van E said:

Ok, thanks. I will keep that disabled then, I think.

And thanks for the google tip. I think I will leave it at the default floccus.

But do I actually have to click that Install Now button on the Models page or will the sync option take care of all this anyway?

I have them enabled because it let look them more realisitc. Too bad there is no option to set the darkness in correlation of the cloud thickness ...

No installation needed, the sync option makes that for you IF you haven't closed Skyforce and just minimized it!

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

This is madness!  If Jeroen bought SF3D, then how can the rest of the community resist?

• Upvote 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

4 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I think I'll try that.  Mine are currently at 2K, and (sometimes) I don't like the hard edged cumulus

but the cloud draw distance can not set inside REX integrated weather engine, right ?

Carsten U

4 minutes ago, ErichB said:

setting cloud draw at 200 nm causes AS to draw only one layer which is good for performance, default for AS is 199 afaik.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

2 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

<o installation needed, the sync option makes that for you IF you haven't closed Skyforce and just minimized it!

If I have installed a set, how do i reset it to the default position of making all available for sync?

1 minute ago, RTK1972 said:

but the cloud draw distance can not set inside REX integrated weather engine, right ?

No, that'll be set in AS16 - that's what I'm using

i supposed so. Thank you for clarifying.

Still not sure to continue using AS16 or the build in engine.....:mellow:

Carsten U

3 minutes ago, Nemo said:

setting cloud draw at 200 nm causes AS to draw only one layer 

Didn't know that, but that doesn't sound good to me. Layers are important.

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

If I have installed a set, how do i reset it to the default position of making all available for sync?

I think that's also done automatically as soon (or as long) as you have sync enabled. You Install the models to have a base to work with and when you change an option (for instance enabling roll clouds) you install them again. But sync should keep things up to date according to the weather. So no need to reset. (Talking about the 3D models set here, not texture sets).

11 minutes ago, Nemo said:

setting cloud draw at 200 nm causes AS to draw only one layer which is good for performance, default for AS is 199 afaik.

I think you have mixing up two setting Harry, Clouds draw you can have upto around 250, upper VIS is as you say. I have mine at 199. Set to 200nm does as you say. 

That's Visibility I believe that's totally different to cloud draw distance..

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Didn't know that, but that doesn't sound good to me. Layers are important.

Read my last reply Erich unless I'm mistaken.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 minutes ago, J van E said:

4 minutes ago, J van E said:

(or as long) as you have sync enabled.

For clarity, does anyone know what the 'sync' function actually does?  What is being 'sync'd' ?  I'm assuming the cloud types are being 'sync'd' to the reported weather (METAR string)  Can someone confirm?

If it's in the manual, I apologize.  I must have been distracted while on that page.

1 minute ago, ErichB said:

For clarity, does anyone know what the 'sync' function actually does?  What is being 'sync'd' .  I'm assuming the cloud types are being 'sync'd' to the reported weather (METAR string)  Can someone confirm?

If it's in the manual, I apologize.  I must have been distracted while on that page.

I am having the same confusion but afaik sync will load 3D cloud model structures and cloud textures on the fly depending on the weather. At least that's what the GUI of SF tells me. Don't know what's really happening in the background.

1 minute ago, J van E said:

I am having the same confusion but afaik sync will load 3D cloud model structures and cloud textures on the fly depending on the weather. At least that's what the GUI of SF tells me. Don't know what's really happening in the background.

Yep and as long as it works who cares:biggrin: