Cloud texture addons: who needs 20 GB of textures...

...if you can get a sky like this with just ONE totally FREE texture file of around 350 kb? :happy:

72E4006E-D630-48CF-8B44-407B41380487.jpg

As far as sky and cloud texture are concerned the above picture is P3D default with only ONE texture file added, the cumulus01.bmp from HDEv2. That’s it. Well, obviously AS is taking care of the weather, but really, I always wonder why people need thousands of cloud textures for a lot of money if just one free bmp can give you skies like this? I’ve been using this file for years and my skies look different all the time. Who told us we really need thousands of textures to create varied skies...? I am sure it was a payware cloud texture addon developer. :happy:

Just some food for thought. 

If you like the same look over and over than indeed you do not need anything else...

• Upvote 3

Sorry, but this is just plain Skyforce bashing, i tend to say thats beneath you.

• Upvote 8

We get it Jeroen. Personally I like a bit more variation than just one BMP file.

• Upvote 2

Good point, but if you want realistic up to date weather, it will take more than one cumulus texture. It aint' all cumulus up there. I've worked as an airport met assistant, and cloud observation was one of our hourly routines. In many parts of the world, cumulus in blue skies is a rarety...

• Upvote 2

Hi Jeroen,
As much as I could have appreciated your objectivity and wish of non biased information, I feel now that you are bashing REX for some reason.
You claim here and everywhere that SF3D is NOT a weather engine, that their textures look cartoonish and now that a single file could replace thousands of hours of work.
It remind me some missionary speech preaching the good word to save humanity from a disaster.

Dont like it? Don't buy it!

I for one couldn't fly with other sky/clouds textures now, REX SF blow up all my expectations after decades of flight simming.
So I believe your insistence to show how bad this product is is not fair, nor justified at all.

• Upvote 7

Jeroen, yes it is free and they look good.  But even though I've had my beef with REX's artistic marketing, their textures and models really are very good.  I have to give them that..

• Upvote 2

Because J Van E we have something called opinions and personal taste. I look at that and I absolutely don’t like what I see not one bit at all. I had a real life 2 hour flight in a 737 yesterday, random out of place grey clouds included, and it did not have one cloud type. I look at what I have with Sky Force and Opus weather and I absolutely love it. Is that ok?

As a long time Avsim lurker, reading the forums recently has been depressing.

• Upvote 6

Even with 20GB of textures I don't believe we have this:

Mammatus (Not rare on my parts, and often seen during winter when snow storms are in the area): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2842663/Bubble-wrap-No-amazing-shapes-extremely-rare-MAMMATUS-clouds-seen-storm.html

Nacreous clouds can be seen in the Norwegian Arctic during cold winter days: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3428242/Devastatingly-beautiful-Rare-rainbow-clouds-seen-painting-skies-UK-despite-splendour-formations-cause-holes-ozone-layer.html

Lenticular clouds can be seen quite often around high mountains from where I live: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_cloud

And I miss realisitc colouring of sky and clouds during spectacular sunrises and sunsets...

J your constant bashing/sniping of SF when you have no intention of buying it or even trying it is getting very tiresome. 

Give it a rest mate. It's beyond a joke.

Enjoy what you have, fine but if people want to use ASCA/Envtex/SF let them.

You come across of hating REX and to my knowledge you have never own one of their products.

• Upvote 3

Oops... sorry, guys, I think I may have gone to far today indeed... I was simply happy with the sky I saw in this flight but okay, I understand your points of view: I probably typed a bit too much this time. My bad. My sincere apologies.

You know what? To show you all I am really sorry (AND to see if you are really right :happy: AND to fullfill MindYerBeak's prophecy :happy: AND to make sure my next post about SkyForce will be a valid one :unsure:) I will purchase REX SkyForce 3D right away.

OMG....Am flying to you house to slap you right now.....start running....:blink::biggrin:

• Upvote 2

I better come to your house anyway to help you set it up or we will have 3 pagers of hate like PTA before we get to the "I love it" stage :laugh:

Booking flight right now....I hope I see more than one cloud texture on the way...:ohmy:

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, J van E said:

I will purchase REX SkyForce 3D right away.

That's the funniest thing I've seen all day.:laugh:

Great recovery from that b*tch slapping.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, ErichB said:

That;s the funniest thing I've seen all day.:laugh:

He is going to owe REX a full apology if you ask me Erich. His bashing was beyond a joke. But he has apologized and once he gets passed the "I don't like it" and "we" help him with some setting etc...

Well lets see... 

The one thing we might all agree on is

What ever textures sets we all use, sometimes we look at what we have and think "that's breathtaking" and other time think "humm not so good*

• Upvote 1

just think , if you flew the crj into that weather it might actually fly a straight line.....

29 minutes ago, J van E said:

Oops... sorry, guys, I think I may have gone to far today indeed... I was simply happy with the sky I saw in this flight but okay, I understand your points of view: I probably typed a bit too much this time. My bad. My sincere apologies.

You know what? To show you all I am really sorry (AND to see if you are really right :happy: AND to fullfill MindYerBeak's prophecy :happy: AND to make sure my next post about SkyForce will be a valid one :unsure:) I will purchase REX SkyForce 3D right away.

I always liked your posts, Jeroen. Especially this one. .

2 minutes ago, tooting said:

just think , if you flew the crj into that weather it might actually fly a straight line.....

You couldn't pay me enough money to be a flightsim developer. I think I'd rather take 10 lashings.  

41 minutes ago, J van E said:

.... :happy: AND to fullfill MindYerBeak's prophecy :happy: AND to make sure my next post about SkyForce will be a valid one :unsure:) I will purchase REX SkyForce 3D right away.

There really is a thin line between extreme dislike(or hate or bashing) and love.Imo this software beats the living s* out of asca all day and you just gotta love it.

• Upvote 1

Prove of purchase. I think. My home base ENBR with current Active Sky weather.

- on the Options Weather settings Engine tab everything is disabled
- on the Options Weather settings Cloud Sync tab everything is enabled
- on Clouds, Winds and Visibility I didn't change a thing

- on the Options Texture settings Install tab ONLY cloud textures are enabled: everything else is disabled
- resolution is DXT5 512

I didn't use the Dashboard so everything on the page 3D Cloud Models (and other pages) is default and I did not install any themes at all.

Only thing that worries me is that the Real-Time Sync Mode is on but the ? button on the interface tells me 'Click to enable/disable real-time cloud cync when using the Sky Force weather engine'... I will trust this also works with Active Sky. And btw that 'cync' isn't my typo: that's how it is written in SkyForce. :happy:

Anyway, after setting things up this wat and not installing any textures this is what I get 'out of the box'. Seems to me that SF indeed installs clouds because things look really different compared to my (by now infamous) cumular01.bmp.

If any of my settings need changing or if I forgot something, please let me know.

EDIT:

BTW I am using PTA with Matt's default preset.

First thing I do notice, after loading several weather conditions in AS in several locations, is that my skies do look 'fuller' in some conditions (like overcast). There also seems to be a lot more variety (in one single situation that is). Clouds also are a lot (and I mean a lot) less white. I don't really know how to check if the syncing option does it work.

2018-1-5_12-39-25-898.jpg

What is this thread anyway? In other foraes I visit this would be seen as a legit troll job.

I mean some people should need a "do you really want to post this" confirmation at least 2 times before the thread is created.

Jeroen has a history of "badmouth" some addons, then actually buying it followed by the " software is weak" posts. Then he gets help from users and the software is the best since sliced bread.

Ambivalent if there ever was one. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

Jeroen has a history of "badmouth" some addons, then actually buying it followed by the " software is weak" posts. Then he gets help from users and the software is the best since sliced bread.

Ambivalent if there ever was one. 

Yes, well, that's me alright. Can't deny it. I know I can be annoying as hell sometimes. I do hope though that my more positive and helpful posts make up for the bad ones.

2 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

2 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

If someone slaps their cash on the table and turns in favour of the addon, that is surely a good outcome.  

There is no better endorsement of a product for any developer than a hater turned believer.

• Upvote 1

J you will have to like AS go into the settings to make sure your set up how you like/want it.

This guys has some nice videos on it and shows what setting he is using, am going to relook at mine tonight.

In this one you can skip to 21:40. have a look at his others. Make sure to use the 10 day option.