Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

A new proverb...

Two weeks before my 84th birthday I had my quarterly visit to my doctor.  Except for some arthritis in my right shoulder and bad feet that keep me from walking much he said my heart and lungs sounded fine.

My eye doctor has my glaucoma under control.

On Tuesday, a week after my 84th birthday, I made my annual tri to the renal clinic.  She said my blood work look excellent.  Everything is base line.

Since I get little exercise and I don't eat healthily...I eat what I like as opposed to a proper diet, I am going to paraphrase old Arab fishing proverb into a Noelian proverb based on the inordinate amount of time I spend on fight simming.

"The time spent flight simming is not deducted from a person's allotted time on earth."

Noel

• Upvote 6

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I gotta love that proverb, since I spend three to five hours a day either on Xplane or P3D.

Noel,

As an aged pensioner myself, I heartily agree with you.  Thankfully, my health is good too at the moment.  I really do hope that when I do get to your age, I am still able to fly my simulator too. I will take this one step further ... I am almost prepared to bet that with your great attitude, you are flying the Concorde lol

I have fond memories of an Air Vice Marshall (RAAF) who was flying mirage jet fighters, up to and just before retirement (dual seat of course) and absolutely petrifying his passengers (instructors) He literally was the "talk of the town" but you have to admire his determination.

Good on you mate

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Hi Noel,

I guess we are two "old curmudgeons".   I am 23 days older than you and basically feel the same about things as you.  Congratulations on being able to do what you want to.  My health seems to be the same as yours and I do pretty much what I want to except "eat anything".  My wife makes sure of that...grin

I have been flight simming since the beginning of flight sims.  I spent my entire career at Boeing in Flight test as an instrumentation engineer and had several hundred hours of flight test time.  The best job anyone could have, although the "pucker factor" got just a little high a couple of time.....grin.

Stay healthy and keep simming.

Tom

I never had a real career Tom.  I was a jack of all trades, master of non.  Never worked at anything long enough to get bored by it.

1 - In grade school had a paper route in San Francisco on the crookedest street n the world.

2 - Pumped gas at a local gas station  in my high school years.

3 - Summer after graduation worked n a blister rust and fire camp in Glacier National Park.

4 - Joined the Marines and became an EOD technician.  Served in Korean War.

5 - Got out after 4 years and worked for a year as a file clerk for the Southern Pacific Railroad.

6 - Joined the Air Force and became an armament technician; an electronic technician; and a seismologist at a monitoring station of underground nuclear tests.  When I got tired of one job I'd cross train into another field.

7 - Got out of the Air Force and became an electronic technician, electronic engineer, freelance photographer and writer.

8 - Joined the Colorado Air National Guard and became a weather forecaster.

9 - Retired in 1993 and worked for a half year as a counter clerk in an electronics parts shop.

10 - Moved to Roswell and volunteered at the local Bitter Lakes National Wildlife Refuge.  Did that for about5 or 6 years.

11 - Now I'm back in my second childhood just playing games until Saint Pete comes in wht the clipboard and calls my name.

Noel

• Upvote 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Two weeks before my 84th birthday I had my quarterly visit to my doctor.  Except for some arthritis in my right shoulder and bad feet that keep me from walking much he said my heart and lungs sounded fine.

My eye doctor has my glaucoma under control.

On Tuesday, a week after my 84th birthday, I made my annual tri to the renal clinic.  She said my blood work look excellent.  Everything is base line.

Since I get little exercise and I don't eat healthily...I eat what I like as opposed to a proper diet, I am going to paraphrase old Arab fishing proverb into a Noelian proverb based on the inordinate amount of time I spend on fight simming.

"The time spent flight simming is not deducted from a person's allotted time on earth."

Noel

Ha, ha, ha...This is funny Noel! I'm glad to read that you are doing so well.

I try to tell my wife this, but she can't see the logic.  Oh well, I keep on flight simming anyway, which I tell my wife "I'm going to go fly my computer".

Good one. I too believe that your inspirational proverb is spot on.

Thanks for the uplifting post. I found myself getting exercised reading some of the posts here today. I'm glad I found this one. I feel calm now. 

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I like it Noel !   Can we extend it to video games in general ?

LOL

Sue

Of course Sue.  Anything that takes you out of the real world into your own special world counts.

For me it's always been fly fishing, wilderness back packing, flying, model railroading, building plastic model airplanes, and now cooking and flight simming.  It all adds up.

BTW Sue, I thought you'd you show up here.  That's why I changed the word 'man's' in the original proverb to 'person's'.

Noel

15 hours ago, signmanbob said:

I try to tell my wife this, but she can't see the logic.  Oh well, I keep on flight simming anyway, which I tell my wife "I'm going to go fly my computer".

Le ouch. Meanwhile, my mom's figured out that if she tries to call me whilst I'm at home and I don't answer the phone during the day, I'm probably flying. Of course, I put my phone on silent anyway.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:17 PM, birdguy said:

BTW Sue, I thought you'd you show up here.  That's why I changed the word 'man's' in the original proverb to 'person's'.

You're a wise man Noel !  

LOL

Sue

Three daughters and a wife taught me well Sue.

Noel