birdguy

A new proverb...

Recommended Posts

Two weeks before my 84th birthday I had my quarterly visit to my doctor.  Except for some arthritis in my right shoulder and bad feet that keep me from walking much he said my heart and lungs sounded fine.

My eye doctor has my glaucoma under control.

On Tuesday, a week after my 84th birthday, I made my annual tri to the renal clinic.  She said my blood work look excellent.  Everything is base line.

Since I get little exercise and I don't eat healthily...I eat what I like as opposed to a proper diet, I am going to paraphrase old Arab fishing proverb into a Noelian proverb based on the inordinate amount of time I spend on fight simming.

"The time spent flight simming is not deducted from a person's allotted time on earth."

 

Noel

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I gotta love that proverb, since I spend three to five hours a day either on Xplane or P3D.

Share this post


Link to post

Noel,

As an aged pensioner myself, I heartily agree with you.  Thankfully, my health is good too at the moment.  I really do hope that when I do get to your age, I am still able to fly my simulator too. I will take this one step further ... I am almost prepared to bet that with your great attitude, you are flying the Concorde lol

I have fond memories of an Air Vice Marshall (RAAF) who was flying mirage jet fighters, up to and just before retirement (dual seat of course) and absolutely petrifying his passengers (instructors) He literally was the "talk of the town" but you have to admire his determination.

Good on you mate

Regards

Tony

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Noel,

I guess we are two "old curmudgeons".   I am 23 days older than you and basically feel the same about things as you.  Congratulations on being able to do what you want to.  My health seems to be the same as yours and I do pretty much what I want to except "eat anything".  My wife makes sure of that...grin

I have been flight simming since the beginning of flight sims.  I spent my entire career at Boeing in Flight test as an instrumentation engineer and had several hundred hours of flight test time.  The best job anyone could have, although the "pucker factor" got just a little high a couple of time.....grin.

Stay healthy and keep simming.

 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post

I never had a real career Tom.  I was a jack of all trades, master of non.  Never worked at anything long enough to get bored by it.

1 - In grade school had a paper route in San Francisco on the crookedest street n the world.

2 - Pumped gas at a local gas station  in my high school years.

3 - Summer after graduation worked n a blister rust and fire camp in Glacier National Park.

4 - Joined the Marines and became an EOD technician.  Served in Korean War.

5 - Got out after 4 years and worked for a year as a file clerk for the Southern Pacific Railroad.

6 - Joined the Air Force and became an armament technician; an electronic technician; and a seismologist at a monitoring station of underground nuclear tests.  When I got tired of one job I'd cross train into another field.

7 - Got out of the Air Force and became an electronic technician, electronic engineer, freelance photographer and writer.

8 - Joined the Colorado Air National Guard and became a weather forecaster.

9 - Retired in 1993 and worked for a half year as a counter clerk in an electronics parts shop.

10 - Moved to Roswell and volunteered at the local Bitter Lakes National Wildlife Refuge.  Did that for about5 or 6 years.

11 - Now I'm back in my second childhood just playing games until Saint Pete comes in wht the clipboard and calls my name.

Noel

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, birdguy said:

Two weeks before my 84th birthday I had my quarterly visit to my doctor.  Except for some arthritis in my right shoulder and bad feet that keep me from walking much he said my heart and lungs sounded fine.

My eye doctor has my glaucoma under control.

On Tuesday, a week after my 84th birthday, I made my annual tri to the renal clinic.  She said my blood work look excellent.  Everything is base line.

Since I get little exercise and I don't eat healthily...I eat what I like as opposed to a proper diet, I am going to paraphrase old Arab fishing proverb into a Noelian proverb based on the inordinate amount of time I spend on fight simming.

"The time spent flight simming is not deducted from a person's allotted time on earth."

 

Noel

Ha, ha, ha...This is funny Noel! I'm glad to read that you are doing so well.

I try to tell my wife this, but she can't see the logic.  Oh well, I keep on flight simming anyway, which I tell my wife "I'm going to go fly my computer".

 

Share this post


Link to post

Good one. I too believe that your inspirational proverb is spot on.

Thanks for the uplifting post. I found myself getting exercised reading some of the posts here today. I'm glad I found this one. I feel calm now. 

Share this post


Link to post

I like it Noel !   Can we extend it to video games in general ?

 LOL

 Sue

Share this post


Link to post

Of course Sue.  Anything that takes you out of the real world into your own special world counts.

For me it's always been fly fishing, wilderness back packing, flying, model railroading, building plastic model airplanes, and now cooking and flight simming.  It all adds up.

BTW Sue, I thought you'd you show up here.  That's why I changed the word 'man's' in the original proverb to 'person's'.

Noel

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, signmanbob said:

I try to tell my wife this, but she can't see the logic.  Oh well, I keep on flight simming anyway, which I tell my wife "I'm going to go fly my computer".

Le ouch. Meanwhile, my mom's figured out that if she tries to call me whilst I'm at home and I don't answer the phone during the day, I'm probably flying. Of course, I put my phone on silent anyway.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/6/2018 at 11:17 PM, birdguy said:

BTW Sue, I thought you'd you show up here.  That's why I changed the word 'man's' in the original proverb to 'person's'.

You're a wise man Noel !  

LOL

 Sue

Share this post


Link to post

Three daughters and a wife taught me well Sue.

Noel

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now