Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

KDFW to KPHX in the CJ2

Here is a trip to Phoenix from my home airport in my little CJ...

When I'm in the CJ I usually have to wait at the end of the line for takeoff...that 737 got a ATC hold so I got to jump ahead of him!

bT2yyO.jpg

Liftoff from 17R...the AA farm in the background.

V9IJMv.jpg

Nice shot of downtown Dallas (One of those buildings is one I work at)

OGZ72J.jpg

In fact, why don't I just show you a shot from my window at work? (one of the dozens of SWA's that buzz by my window everyday into KDAL)  That is the "building with a hole in it" right next to ours.)

YpH1Sa.jpg

She is a good looking bird!

04f6c2.jpg

Another glam shot, hehe.  I turned the RXP GTN's screen to all black by turning off the Topo option (2 taps on the screen) as it really helps to simplify the view....no need for terrain awareness at 40,000 feet!:laugh:

BS4bDy.jpg

Beautiful mountains below a lovely plane.  You can't deny Carenado puts stunning detail in their models.

04ZNhD.jpg

Easing down into the pattern, the GTN set on Chart view...sometimes I like it better with its North-Up orientation vs the map on the ND with it rotating as you turn.  Easy to see here that I'm just south of the localizer, going to capture in about 10 seconds. On the GTN I can also easily see in this view that my radio is tuned to the correct localizer freq.  When you first go to this screen you'll notice your view of the map is limited because the relevant info for this chart is on the left in its own window.  Simply touch the Split button and the map goes full screen.  You're able to zoom in and out, pan all around the map with hand gestures common to any tablet user (or if you have it on your monitor, common mouse clicks and moves)

zGGQOZ.jpg

Perfectly lined up now, gear coming down.

9g9bZr.jpg

Looking at the CJ2's instrumentation (cross-checking), you can see the APPR mode is engaged and I am in fact lined up right on the dots on the PFD.

kxhlPF.jpg

GTN mode on Safe Taxi® mode to get to our parking (well you just have to zoom in to a certain level to see the taxiways.  The level of zoom it appears at is configurable in the menu...but for those who may not see the taxiways..beware that you can't have your declutter level set to its max...it declutters the taxiways too, hehe.  Its just a few clicks to fix it).

e8CFEu.jpg

Ahhh....my little CJ gets to spend the night in the house tonight! 

eMhb9Q.jpg

All tucked in, beautiful sunset in the background (with a palm tree!)

ks9N3M.jpg

I wish Carenado put an option on the popup menu to remove the pilots from view (esp when it's parked)

LNawdN.jpg

I have a few more flights lined up with some new birds, I'll keep showing you more features I use (and discover) with the RXP GTN as I progress in my GA career!

• Upvote 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Love the big lakes around Dallas..the mountains near Fort Davis...the red western areas....very nice shots!

HLJAMES

Nice pics and descriptions! Had to read the one in the building pic to realyze that was the real thing :)

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

3 hours ago, HLJames said:

Love the big lakes around Dallas..the mountains near Fort Davis.

Thanks HL!  Yes Lake Grapevine is huge and you get to see all of it when you land to the south.  You can also see the Gaylord and Great Wolf Lodge/hotels if you're sitting on the right side of the plane.

2 hours ago, dmarques69 said:

Had to read the one in the building pic to realyze that was the real thing :)

Hey Marques,

LOL yeah I'm hoping FS looks like that in a few year's time...sorry for the confusion, thought it would add perspective to the post. :wink:  We all talk about where we spot sometimes and I get to spot from my desk when I'm in a phone meeting and just a "listener" on the call, hehe.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Here is the same pic of my office view from the sim at the plane's location.  The building with a hole in it  is the one by the red arrow and my building and the location I was at in the building depicted by the yellow arrow.

The sim did a pretty good job replicating the building in downtown Dallas.

iqtT1k.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg