Sign in to follow this  
diajohn

New buyer for the 757-200

I finally bit the bullet and bought the new Captain Sim 757-200 for P3D v4.1.  

First reaction after purchasing and installing is "what a stupid thing to do as the CS reputation is not wonderful"  Then when  I realized it was mine and could it really be worse than my early purchase of the TFDi 717 and the nightmare that a/c was.  

Well  today, I set up and flew a flight from KIAD to KORD using Ultimate Traffic Live, ChasePlane, Active Sky, Radar Contact and other assorted frame rate eaters for my older CPU I5-2500K and newer GTX 1060.

Outside of known issues subject to a fix, I was nicely surprised by how well it all worked without reading the manual.  Primarily I used auto systems to fly the flight to see how they worked and if the a/c would follow the magenta line.   I had to setup the autoland ILS system radios manually as there was some glitch with the Radar Contact runway assignment.

After setting up the flight and taking off, the a/c flew as it should to Chicago.  I used FL CH below 10,000ft as it is my preference and the VNAV is supposed  to have some issues.  I did not like the VS function on this bird going up or down but the FL CH worked quite well although I felt its decent was a bit slow.  I also did not care for changing my heading on the MCP as the heading bug is extremely difficult to adjust with a mouse.  The bank limiter is too big a sweet spot.

After being vectored to the ILS for Runway 15, the localizer came alive and turned me correctly, then when i pushed APP, all autopilot buttoms came alive and Land 3 showed.  The landing was beautiful right on the centerline at 150 FPM.  I thought it was a bit long but the ACARS I used did not show distance.  Hit reversers and the plane slowed as it should.  

FMC was no issue for me.  Straight forward if you have used a Boeing FMC before.  Startup was no issue.  Just make sure you have the igniter on 1 or 2 and not both.  I wish the fuel burn would get fixed and I landed heavier than I wanted but it did not seem to effect the autoland.

My wishes.  Be able to get rid of the yoke and get the Captains seat out of the way when setting up my views.  Maybe I just haven't learned that.  Do something about that HDG bug with that huge sweet spot for bank limiter.  I setup some buttoms with FSUIPC to change heading but that is distracting to me.  

I must say, I do not regret the purchase as the a/c did pretty darn well.  There are things to learn and I must now do more manual flight segments to get a better feel.  Frame rates were a touch low but I never had a slide show and some optimization would be nice but KORD is not a fps friendly airport with anything.  

This is not a hanger queen.  It is attractive, modeled well for an 1.0 with a minor hotfix and very flyable.  :biggrin:  

• Upvote 4

So far I'm spending a second evening in the cockpit at KBFI getting ready to take her for a spin to LAX. So far I'm satisfied, as long as they fix the stupid engine start up which took me forever to figure out.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

14 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

as long as they fix the stupid engine start up which took me forever to figure out.

Is it because of bug or it's just different? Curious as to what's wrong with the start-up process. 

Mario Di Lauro

I didn't have any issue with the start and the spin up was no big deal.

There may be two "start-up" issues on the engines.

The first was the fast spool up of the engines when starting.  That has been corrected with the hotfix.

There could be an issue with trying to start the engines when using GSX in pushback (at least there is in my case).  I think this is being looked into.

Stephen Forsgren

I think CS are working on SP 1.1 for the 757.  It's on my "to buy" list as I'd like to experience the aircraft since they are very common real world in my area.  Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Rob.

10 hours ago, diajohn said:

I didn't have any issue with the start and the spin up was no big deal.

I can only spin up one engine with both packs off. The only way for the second one to start (at least for me) I have to turn on right or left side external air. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I started the APU, fuel flow switches off, turned off packs,  isolation valve on and apu bleed on. Engine Start to 2 , she cranked right up.  I did not use external power or air at any phase and the start was after pushback that I did manually with shift p.  I have GSX but there seems to be a problem from what I hear.

On 25/01/2018 at 10:11 PM, diajohn said:

I finally bit the bullet and bought the new Captain Sim 757-200 for P3D v4.1.  

First reaction after purchasing and installing is "what a stupid thing to do as the CS reputation is not wonderful"  Then when  I realized it was mine and could it really be worse than my early purchase of the TFDi 717 and the nightmare that a/c was.  

Well  today, I set up and flew a flight from KIAD to KORD using Ultimate Traffic Live, ChasePlane, Active Sky, Radar Contact and other assorted frame rate eaters for my older CPU I5-2500K and newer GTX 1060.

Outside of known issues subject to a fix, I was nicely surprised by how well it all worked without reading the manual.  Primarily I used auto systems to fly the flight to see how they worked and if the a/c would follow the magenta line.   I had to setup the autoland ILS system radios manually as there was some glitch with the Radar Contact runway assignment.

After setting up the flight and taking off, the a/c flew as it should to Chicago.  I used FL CH below 10,000ft as it is my preference and the VNAV is supposed  to have some issues.  I did not like the VS function on this bird going up or down but the FL CH worked quite well although I felt its decent was a bit slow.  I also did not care for changing my heading on the MCP as the heading bug is extremely difficult to adjust with a mouse.  The bank limiter is too big a sweet spot.

After being vectored to the ILS for Runway 15, the localizer came alive and turned me correctly, then when i pushed APP, all autopilot buttoms came alive and Land 3 showed.  The landing was beautiful right on the centerline at 150 FPM.  I thought it was a bit long but the ACARS I used did not show distance.  Hit reversers and the plane slowed as it should.  

FMC was no issue for me.  Straight forward if you have used a Boeing FMC before.  Startup was no issue.  Just make sure you have the igniter on 1 or 2 and not both.  I wish the fuel burn would get fixed and I landed heavier than I wanted but it did not seem to effect the autoland.

My wishes.  Be able to get rid of the yoke and get the Captains seat out of the way when setting up my views.  Maybe I just haven't learned that.  Do something about that HDG bug with that huge sweet spot for bank limiter.  I setup some buttoms with FSUIPC to change heading but that is distracting to me.  

I must say, I do not regret the purchase as the a/c did pretty darn well.  There are things to learn and I must now do more manual flight segments to get a better feel.  Frame rates were a touch low but I never had a slide show and some optimization would be nice but KORD is not a fps friendly airport with anything.  

This is not a hanger queen.  It is attractive, modeled well for an 1.0 with a minor hotfix and very flyable.  :biggrin:  

Thanks for the review.

You may want to take another look at your TFDi717 though.

It really is a very refined product now and my go to aircraft.