Sign in to follow this  
Benjamin J

Regarding the TFDi 717...

11 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

You don’t need to be apologising, you asked a question about the 717, specific to Prepar3D, in a thread on this topic in the P3D forum.

Ironically, OP got the same “go to the TFDi forum” unhelpful response in the first reply to his post!

if we adopt this attitude - go to the manufacturers forum for everything - there wouldn’t be much left to discuss here, would there? And right now, this is best place on the net to discuss my favourite sim, P3D. I think we should keep it that way.

As I said, his questions seemed technical so I thought the developers forum would be more appropriate. I tend to go to the developers forum for those kind of things, but I had no idea he had already tried it. So my bad and I apologize if I sounded a little curt.

11 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

I do have the Maddog and have flown it a lot in P3D. The trueglass, which was developed by tfdi for the 717, adds a surprisingly large amount of immersion (I definitely noticed it’s absence once I went back to PMDG). And as has been mentioned here already, it’s an all-around great plane.

re: 717 and real routes. I note the comments above about qantas having 20 of these planes. I fly on them regularly in Western Australia, where they’re heavily used. The mining companies also use them as charters, if I’m not mistaken. They’re badged as QantasLink, which is often operated by other companies (Network Aviation etc). They’re good planes to fly on, though not as comfortable in the pax section as the 737 NG, which is Qantas’s other main aircraft around my part of the world. I’ve spoken to a couple of pilots, who seem to enjoy flying them- unlike the previous jets Qantas used in this role on these routes, the Bae146. Those were not loved by the pilots and other crew!

Yeah, the Maddog seems to be loved all around. I’m not too surprised, given that I used to fly it in FSX and adored it. I’m considering getting it and flying it around Scandinavia, despite the fact that SAS stopped using it. I was thinking that it might be possible to add in a SAS repaint for UTLive, and try to get them flying around again somehow... not too sure how to do it but I guess I’ll figure it out. I did make a map of all the routes flown by Delta and American with the Maddog, but sadly it appears to be used a lot between airports for which I  don’t have any third party airport scenery and I’m not too keen on shelling out 100-200$ on scenery... The 717, as it happens, is used in a variety of routes on both the east coast and west coast, seemingly shorter routes as well, which I like, between airports I already have. You elaborating on Qantas is intriguing, too! I wasn’t particularly planning on installing Orbx’s scenery for Australia, but I might have another look at the routes. I did always enjoy flying around there, but at the time my rig couldn’t handle orbx’s bigger airport sceneries...

14 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

I also am a real world type of simmer, so while I was leaning on the Maddog, I've always wanted the 717 to fly America routes especially Hawaiian AIrlines, goes well with the FSDT Hawaii airport packages. Plan on buying it before the summer. Glad to see it still developed and refined!

It does sound like, by summer, the 717 should be a pretty good plane!

• Upvote 1

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

The TFDi Design 717 flight dynamics were a bit strange for me. It never seemed to respond to throttle input like I expected when hand flying it. I didn't expect the aircraft to behave quite like a 737, but I expected it to do something when I increased the power significantly when in a slight descent, but it just kept on going in that slight descent with hardly any change at all (apart from the increased airspeed). Most people seem to think that the flight dynamics are great, so maybe I just don't have a clue? :huh:

Other stuff that annoyed me to some extent were the constant verbal warnings (stabiliser motion/altitude etc), the rather blurry textures on the MCP when zoomed in, and the way it disabled the AutoRudder for all of my other planes.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Thanks for your feedback Christopher, you are in fact the reason I started this thread! I saw your other one (don't remember where it was) where you asked about this nose-droop situation, and it never seemed like you got the answer that clarified your observation. Regarding the warnings though, I think this is probably a MD thing. The MD80 also does it all the time if memory serves me right?

All things considered what's the fate of this plane in your hangar? Are you still flying it despite the FDE issue you mentioned? (and perhaps somebody else can comment on this issue as well?)

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

10 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Thanks for your feedback Christopher, you are in fact the reason I started this thread! I saw your other one (don't remember where it was) where you asked about this nose-droop situation, and it never seemed like you got the answer that clarified your observation. Regarding the warnings though, I think this is probably a MD thing. The MD80 also does it all the time if memory serves me right?

All things considered what's the fate of this plane in your hangar? Are you still flying it despite the FDE issue you mentioned? (and perhaps somebody else can comment on this issue as well?)

I'm not a pilot and certainly no authority but I own and love both aircraft. I have read jets with wing mounted engines pitch up with power increase while rear mounted configured birds pitch down. This behavior would make NGX, TFDi and Leonardo all correct with their aircraft.

Vic green

11 hours ago, newtie said:

With all due respect, I posted at their forum prior to posting here, with no response.

Can you link me the post? I'm having trouble finding it.

I'm not a pilot and certainly no authority but I own and love both aircraft. I have read jets with wing mounted engines pitch up with power increase while rear mounted configured birds pitch down. This behavior would make NGX, TFDi and Leonardo all correct with their aircraft.

The problem I had is that the plane was not pitching up or down with significant increases (or decreases) in power. It just seemed to stay (more or less) at the pitch angle that I had commanded with joystick input. Maybe this is correct, but it seemed very strange to me......

All things considered what's the fate of this plane in your hangar? Are you still flying it despite the FDE issue you mentioned?

I uninstalled it (for the second time) a couple of months ago, and I have no intention of using it again.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, GameSyns said:

Actually just found it, I see two posts, which were promptly responded too, so I'm not sure what you mean. Both responses pointing you in the right direction.

http://forums.tfdidesign.com/index.php?/topic/3080-is-the-717-p3d42-compatible/&do=findComment&comment=13464

He doesn’t mean anything, let’s not make a CSI episode out of this. Poster asked a simple, appropriate question here, and we’re still overthinking it 24 hours later. 

Im sure there’s others around who, like me, don’t use your forums, and so still don’t actually know the answer to the question re: procedure for beta access. Perhaps if someone just answers the query - should take about two sentences - we won’t need days of posts analysing the merits of the question itself!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

52 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

He doesn’t mean anything, let’s not make a CSI episode out of this. Poster asked a simple, appropriate question here, and we’re still overthinking it 24 hours later. 

Im sure there’s others around who, like me, don’t use your forums, and so still don’t actually know the answer to the question re: procedure for beta access. Perhaps if someone just answers the query - should take about two sentences - we won’t need days of posts analysing the merits of the question itself!

Joshua being a member of the TDFi team is not only right but obligated to respond to the assertion a post was not answered when it was. Fine bunch at the TDFi support and this could affect their reputation in a negative way.

• Upvote 2

Vic green

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I uninstalled it (for the second time) a couple of months ago, and I have no intention of using it again.

Was it the FDE or another issue that caused you to not want to use it again?

1 hour ago, PATCO LCH said:

Joshua being a member of the TDFi team is not only right but obligated to respond to the assertion a post was not answered when it was. Fine bunch at the TDFi support and this could affect their reputation in a negative way.

+1

Was it the FDE or another issue that caused you to not want to use it again?

The strange flight dynamics were a big part of my decision. I really wanted to like the aircraft (I have been wanting a 717 for a long time), but I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about a plane if the flight model does not make any sense to me. It has happened with other payware planes, so maybe I just need to stick with the standard "engines under the wings/pitch up when power is increased/pitch down when power is decreased" aircraft? Those verbal warnings tended to annoy me aswell, although I am guessing that those are a feature of the real aircraft?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

The strange flight dynamics were a big part of my decision. I really wanted to like the aircraft (I have been wanting a 717 for a long time), but I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about a plane if the flight model does not make any sense to me. It has happened with other payware planes, so maybe I just need to stick with the standard "engines under the wings/pitch up when power is increased/pitch down when power is decreased" aircraft? Those verbal warnings tended to annoy me aswell, although I am guessing that those are a feature of the real aircraft?

She's got a name lol, Bitchin' Betty haha... I appreciate the feedback though, thank you!

Edited by GameSyns
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Those verbal warnings tended to annoy me aswell, although I am guessing that those are a feature of the real aircraft?

The verbal warnings are a part of the MD-11, I can tell you that.  The 717 avionics look very, very close to me, so I imagine it's a part of their ops also

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Mace said:

The verbal warnings are a part of the MD-11, I can tell you that.  The 717 avionics look very, very close to me, so I imagine it's a part of their ops also

Watch any 717 video on YouTube and there is a lot of Betty in the cockpit.