Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

Delidded 7700K - now not starting

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

'd love to know what went wrong with your delid. Did you use a tool, or a knife? You should pull it to bits and look for any issues like scratched die, substrate etc. 

I used the 8auer tool, cleaned it up, covered the nearest exposed contacts with a blob of clear nail varnish and did the liquid metal TIM, then glued it back on at the four corners.

Now I know the rest of the system is good, I'm going to retry the old CPU tomorrow and see if it really is dead.... only then will I pull it apart completely! :p

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I had the same issue than you last week

I delided my CPU 8700K with the delid die mate 2, and after this, no video output, in my case it was some pins that were bent on the cpu mount in the mobo

I changed the mobo and now it’s running fine 

1 hour ago, Tanguy SEHA said:

I had the same issue than you last week

I delided my CPU 8700K with the delid die mate 2, and after this, no video output, in my case it was some pins that were bent on the cpu mount in the mobo

I changed the mobo and now it’s running fine 

Cheers, unlikely to be that for me though, the same mobo is working fine with a new (and undelidded) CPU.

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

20 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

I used the 8auer tool, cleaned it up, covered the nearest exposed contacts with a blob of clear nail varnish and did the liquid metal TIM, then glued it back on at the four corners.

Now I know the rest of the system is good, I'm going to retry the old CPU tomorrow and see if it really is dead.... only then will I pull it apart completely! :p

Yes, that's the tool I use. good idea to try the old CPU again. Sometimes just pulling out the CPU and reinstalling mysteriously fixes issues. Wouldn't surprise me if it suddenly worked. :)

I'm disappointed really now.

I'm only getting 25fps (set unlimited with default scenery, a/c and settings)...something is wrong with the world.  Prior to the CPU and PSU replacement I would be getting over 120 fps+ in same scenario????

xaP1VAU.png

3 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

I'm disappointed really now.

I'm only getting 25fps (set unlimited with default scenery, a/c and settings)...something is wrong with the world.  Prior to the CPU and PSU replacement I would be getting over 120 fps+ in same scenario????

What the hell! Try a benchmark. Try the RealBench benchmark, not the stress test and I'll do the same. That way you can nail it down to the sim or hardware.

Edited by martin-w

8700K rather than your 7700K and a 980Ti but...

RealBench = 163995

Cinebench = 1435

Stock, no overclock.

Realbench = 41,988

Thu Mar 8 2018
22:03:53

Image Editing: 42643
Time: 124.943

Encoding: 14308
Time: 372.363

OpenCL: 97539
KSamples/sec:  17991

Heavy Multitasking: 13465
Time: 566.802

System Score: 41988

----------------------------

CPU:Intel Core i7 7700K - Speed:4801.2 MHz - Multi:48.0 - Bus:100.0 MHz

RAM:1467.1 MHz (1:22) - 32GB - 14-14-14-34-2T

MB:MAXIMUS IX HERO - FW:0906 - Desktop

GPU1:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Edited by kevinfirth

xaP1VAU.png

17 hours ago, martin-w said:

8700K rather than your 7700K and a 980Ti but...

RealBench = 163995

Cinebench = 1435

Stock, no overclock.

If i remember  right your  score with 6700k  was something  150000-155000 

20 minutes ago, westman said:

so my score if 41988 is far below par :(   Any suggestions as to why?! :S

xaP1VAU.png

24 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

so my score if 41988 is far below par :(   Any suggestions as to why?! :S

Can be a lot, sometime its buggy 

Run Cb15 its stable , multitread  and singletread  test 

3 hours ago, westman said:

Can be a lot, sometime its buggy 

Run Cb15 its stable , multitread  and singletread  test 

CB15 shows a paltry score of 175.... :O

What could be causing such underperformance??

xaP1VAU.png

4 hours ago, westman said:

Can't remember Hasse, you have a better memory than me.  :biggrin:

49 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

CB15 shows a paltry score of 175.... :O

What could be causing such underperformance??

Is your CPU throttling by any chance? Might be talking rubbish, but what's the temp under load with RealTemp or CoreTemp, HWMonitor etc.

The other thing is RAM. I have heard of people running just one stick and experiencing plummeting scores. Duel channel as you know, so two sticks. Might be worth running a memory test to make sure both sticks are fully functional. you can try different slots for the RAM too.

Sometimes the uppermost PCIe slot on the board is dodgy and screws up performance. Easy to check by trying the lower slot.

My usual shotgun approach but I hope it helps in some way. 

Edited by martin-w

47 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Is your CPU throttling by any chance? Might be talking rubbish, but what's the temp under load with RealTemp or CoreTemp, HWMonitor etc.

The other thing is RAM. I have heard of people running just one stick and experiencing plummeting scores. Duel channel as you know, so two sticks. Might be worth running a memory test to make sure both sticks are fully functional. you can try different slots for the RAM too.

Sometimes the uppermost PCIe slot on the board is dodgy and screws up performance. Easy to check by trying the lower slot.

My usual shotgun approach but I hope it helps in some way. 

Temps are showing max 32C over all cores, but the interesting thing is the CPU doesn't seem to be working harder than 800MHz?

Running realbench and monitoring with CoreTemp and CPUZ it showed no increase over 800MHz

Running P3D, I had the same issue...no increase above 800MHz, temps max 34C

xaP1VAU.png