Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

Delidded 7700K - now not starting

Without reading every post the only thing that I can think of is your mobo . memory is easy to exclude bit mobo nearly impossible

ZORAN

Seems problem fixed by using https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Tip found at : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/531278-skylake-system-stuck-at-800mhz/

Disabling BD PROCHOT shoots the core freq up to what it should be....and all of a sudden I'm at 90-100fps again :)

Edited by kevinfirth
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

24 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Disabling BD PROCHOT shoots the core freq up to what it should be....and all of a sudden I'm at 90-100fps again :)

Learn something new every day!  Thanks Kevin for following up on the resolution to your problem.

Greg

20 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Temps are showing max 32C over all cores, but the interesting thing is the CPU doesn't seem to be working harder than 800MHz?

Running realbench and monitoring with CoreTemp and CPUZ it showed no increase over 800MHz

Running P3D, I had the same issue...no increase above 800MHz, temps max 34C

Enter BIOS and set frequency manually. If that doesn't work switch off CPU thermal monitoring. There was an issue with some boards throttling back when they shouldn't. Shouldn't be left off permanently of course.

Have you installed latest BIOS? Very important.

Unticking Enable Away mode in AiSuite has also fixed this for some people. Do the same in the Power tab.

Edited by martin-w

Good to read that you have found and solved the issue Kevin .

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

saga not ended..

I was getting horrible temps from the 2nd chip so decided to take the cooler off and redo the TIM.  This I did and it booted ok.

Then I did something so wrong I dont believe I did it - I tightened the CPU cooler screws while the system was running...

BAM, everything powered down and I got a Qcode 00 again.

I took the CPU completely out and reseated it, set the cooler in again, and now the mobo is showing Qcode 18 consistently :(

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

mem controller, try to reseat the cpu one more time.

power off complete, disconnect all cabeles from PSU.

I somtimes test that cpu is ok after delidd or something other, power on with a aircoller only hold it down with a finger. 

Hi Kevin,

- You can check on the BIOS if the “Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology” enabled. If it is, please disable it.

- Are you sure you didn't enable the slow mode switch on the motherboard..

14 hours ago, westman said:

mem controller, try to reseat the cpu one more time.

power off complete, disconnect all cabeles from PSU.

I somtimes test that cpu is ok after delidd or something other, power on with a aircoller only hold it down with a finger. 

Reseated another time, still code 18...

xaP1VAU.png

11 hours ago, Clio172 said:

Hi Kevin,

- You can check on the BIOS if the “Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology” enabled. If it is, please disable it.

- Are you sure you didn't enable the slow mode switch on the motherboard..

Cant access UEFI with the code 18.  Slow mode switch definitely OFF

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

Reseated another time, still code 18...

a couple of years ago i have problem to booth when swap cpus on a 1150 gigabyte MoBo ( had swaped cpus 20-30 times on that mobo)

i get it alive with putting very little force on the cooler , it had problem with contact to the pins , when applying higer force it not booth.

think your problem is contact to the pins , bent pin or the pcp on the cpu is bend , that was one problem with the 6700k.

try a orginal Intel cooler and lock for suspect pins on the mobo and that the pcb on the cpu is straight.

here is a bad examle

https://hardforum.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fbf4SJqQ.png&hash=3002fd2edd4a118109762d08e04a2c7b

Edited by westman

2 hours ago, westman said:

a couple of years ago i have problem to booth when swap cpus on a 1150 gigabyte MoBo ( had swaped cpus 20-30 times on that mobo)

i get it alive with putting very little force on the cooler , it had problem with contact to the pins , when applying higer force it not booth.

think your problem is contact to the pins , bent pin or the pcp on the cpu is bend , that was one problem with the 6700k.

try a orginal Intel cooler and lock for suspect pins on the mobo and that the pcb on the cpu is straight.

here is a bad examle

https://hardforum.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fbf4SJqQ.png&hash=3002fd2edd4a118109762d08e04a2c7b

many thanks for your ideas :)

Ive looked at the pins closely and there's only one I could see when the image was zoomed in where the pin might possibly be very very slightly out of alignment, but it is so minor that I couldnt be sure if it is a problem or not.

I may try reseating again but ever so slightly differently, before attempting to mess with the pins.

Would a bent CPU PCP be fixable?

Cheers K

xaP1VAU.png

28 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

many thanks for your ideas :)

Ive looked at the pins closely and there's only one I could see when the image was zoomed in where the pin might possibly be very very slightly out of alignment, but it is so minor that I couldnt be sure if it is a problem or not.

I may try reseating again but ever so slightly differently, before attempting to mess with the pins.

Would a bent CPU PCP be fixable?

Cheers K

yes if lucky Linus have one here , you get 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H5_FVX9lU

On 3/2/2018 at 4:30 PM, dmarques69 said:

Deliding CPU's although seems easy can be a pain and could kill a CPU, im afraid your symptoms look to me like a dead CPU, first thing i would do is to try another CPU there...

I find it hilarious how people say how great Intel are, then they risk destroying their CPUs to fix serious design flaws. AMD users don't have these problems. ;)

55 minutes ago, CloudSurfer said:

I find it hilarious how people say how great Intel are, then they risk destroying their CPUs to fix serious design flaws. AMD users don't have these problems. ;)

It's my opinion, this delidding is Voodoo Mechanics. I run a 7700K @5ghz at less than 60c, far less. The risk of damage doesn't out weigh the gain.