Sign in to follow this  
iFlySimX

GTX 1080 TI = Blurries

Clean install at TNCM.....I even tried locking frames at 20 and all to the lowest setting and still getting blurries. 

Also, HT is turned on...Not sure if that makes a difference. 

ssss.png

Edited by Le Français

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Alright, I have tested that airport on my system (I use P3D v3, FYI), and here is what I got. It looks similar to yours (I only use a resolution of 1920x1080):

s65aaa.jpg

I have a theory for why it looks so blurry at this airport: If you look at the textures from the top view, they look like in FS2004 with a resolution of only 256x256. When FS2004 was released, TNCM was among the airports to use photo-real satellite images. However, the resolution was limited to the stated value. I guess that the same images are used for FSX and then P3D. I had a similar experience in Oshkosh in FSX (the textures were from FS2004).

In contrast, if I go to an airport without recycled textures, such as LOWI, I get this picture (I use ORBX OpenLC and Vector):

14w3zuh.jpg

As you see, it looks much crisper, since the textures are 1024x1024.

So your system is not to blame for the blurries. But I have one more tip: Especially since you use 4K, I would zoom out. The default zoom in spot view is 1x, but I would set it to no more than 0.6x. That reduces the appearance of blurries.

Compare the top views at both sceneries at an identical zoom level:

TNCM:

vxhxlf.jpg

LOWI:

x3e58j.jpg

The textures at LOWI look much crisper.

• Like 1

Thank you @Afterburner!

I tried at KPHX.....Still the same thing with .60 zoom. 

ssss.png

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

The mountains look blurry on your picture, since they are quite distant, while you have set your visibility to unlimited (I guess). To increase the sharpness of distant textures, you can apply the Texture-EXP-tweak in your p3d.cfg. I am using P3D version 3, so I am not familiar with the details, but you can use the search function to find out how to do it. It consumes a lot of VRAM, but your GPU is capable of handling it.

I have always had a problem with blurred textures in V4 with fast aircraft and PMDG. It always became painfully obvious at the destination and was even accompanied by not only missing autogen but no autogen at all. I don't have that problem with slower aircraft.

Anyway for what its worth I have more or less solved that problem with two well worn .cfg tweaks. Now before anyone throws something at me, both of these tweaks are in the Prepar3D Learning Center so there!

[DISPLAY]
TextureMaxLoad=90

Thats the highest I have tried so far but it certainly does away with slow texture loading in the case where you see black textures before the textures load.

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.8

This is the one supposedly dedicates a certain amount of the time to rendering textures. It comes with the warning that it may effect performance and induce stutters.

I have experience no noticeable performance loss with these tweaks and both did what was advertised.

My assessment is subjective! Your Millage may vary!

Edited by Guest

The blurries described by Le Francais appear immediately after loading the scenario when the airplane is not even moving, so increasing the FFTF will not help (it will actually drag down the FPS a lot when you limit the FPS internally), neither will increasing the TML. These tweaks are helpful if you get blurries while flying low and fast.

I am really at a lost....While my system's specs are not bad....I really don't know what to do.....

43 minutes ago, Le Français said:

I am really at a lost....While my system's specs are not bad....I really don't know what to do.....

Hi,

I'm not sure that you can do something about it. I have the same graphics card on an i9 7900 X. Textures look exactly the same as in your screenshots. Seems to me like P3D V4 handles textures differently than the older versions, especially photo realistic ones. Only at a reasonable altitude above the ground (500 ft in my case) they start looking OK. After having read a few threads from people complaining about the same thing, I decided to overlook it. One reason in my case is screen real estate. When upgrading hardware and simulators over time, my screens also got bigger, and I am not really surprised that most textures can't look that sharp on three 32" curved screens in NVidia Surround mode.

Edit: I just made a quick check in FSX:SE and P3D V3. TNCM looks pretty much the same in all of them - like in your screenshot. FSX:SE is the worst, because the hills in the background are getting really blurry due to the lower LOD. No hardware upgrade that you can buy will overcome poor quality in the content itself.

What helped me a little bit was setting the "TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT" parameter in prepar3d.cfg to really high values (300 and more). 

Personally, I would be really interested if someone claiming that they have sharp textures could post a screenshot of what that looks like (same spot in default TNCM).

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

48 minutes ago, Le Français said:

I have a 7700K with a 1080Ti. I see from your settings you have a 4K monitor. Are you able to set your monitor to 30 Hz? If so, then in P3D, set frames to "unlimited" and enable "Vsynch & Triple Buffering". This helped me eliminate blurred textures and improved apparent "smoothness"...

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

12 hours ago, Afterburner said:

This has helped quite a lot! I will do some more testing. Thank you! 

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

Am I right in assuming TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 is only available in P3D v4?

Although this is the P3D forum this discussion appears to be about v4 but with nothing in the title and no tag info it’s not always obvious.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10

Yes Ray, this was new in the Prepar3D 64bit v4

bob

Edited by onebob
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Am I right in assuming TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 is only available in P3D v4?

Although this is the P3D forum this discussion appears to be about v4 but with nothing in the title and no tag info it’s not always obvious.

I'm pretty sure that it's only for V4.

17 minutes ago, Le Français said:

I'm pretty sure that it's only for V4.

Thanks. I suspected as much but it would help if that was made clear in topic titles and / or tags.

We really need separate areas for P3D v3.x and v4. I know the mods have looked at it but maybe mandatory tags could be considered so we have discrete discussion areas on what are effective two different sims under one badge. Bit like FS9 and FSX.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather