Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Is this shimmer normal

Hi guys,

I changed a couple of settings around and now see really bad shimmering. Running a medium/high end pc. 

The effect looks like the tall thin objects 'sparkle or glitter'

Settings

https://imgur.com/HZ95KNq

https://imgur.com/UWlTzmy

Edited by aceridgey

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Did you turn off FXAA and/or SSAA? Those both help control shimmering. Without either of those I get horrific shimmering. Just FXAA is acceptable but still leaves noticeable shimmering, especially with any text on the side of your own aircraft.

My experience moving from FSX to P3D was that shimmering was an unavoidable annoyance unless you were willing to run SSAA, which was basically broken at night with dynamic lights enabled.

James

Looks pretty much standard to me, you get less once you start using SSAA at the cost of fps 😞

I will run 4x SSAA but no higher.  GTX 980 here.  If I run ssaa I disable FXAA.   Don't like it makes things really blurry.  8xMSAA is easier on fps but then turn on FXAA.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The only way to reduce shimmering to an acceptable level is to use 8xSSAA I have found. Which does come at an FPS cost. Either that or get a 4k monitor apparently. Anything less than that and I get distant light and object shimmer and the runway edges at low angles just look terrible! 😞

Edited by Matthew James de Bohun

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1

Trying to see shimmering objects in a replay video is extremely difficult on a 24" widescreen monitor, so I can't comment....other than to say that I use 4xSGSS in P3D v3.4 with my i5 4690k/16GB DDR3-1600 RAM/2GB GTX 770 powered system. I need that level of Sparse Grid supersampling to reduce shimmering to an acceptable level, but it basically means that I need to run P3D with clear skies at all times. A compromise that I am happy to accept until I upgrade to a more powerful PC.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

At 4xSSAA I do not

at 8xMSAA I do

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

ORBX library objects and many other payware developers products exhibit this....been an annoyance for years dating back to FSX.

Yes you can steamroll the problem with these objects by cranking AA, but I just wish developers would acknowledge it and try to correct it.

In tests I have done , default P3D objects will not exhibit the shimmering so it has to be either something with mipmaps or textures. It is almost always on smaller objects like flagpoles, lights, fences and anything thin with a metallic or reflective surface that at a far distance will resolve down to white pixels. 

Also different camera views have different view settings that will cause this in external views as the focus is supposed to be on the aircraft at high detail  and anything beyond that is given less graphics quality. I have seen several aircraft developers using the wrong camera definitions and I have seen the old version of EZdok using these camera settings that heighten the problem in a tradeoff for increased FPS.

Good luck.

If you approach anyone via support channels you always get told it's your video drivers or your settings which is total BS as I have  seen this over 4 different computers 5 generations of video cards, FSX to P3D V4 and 4 operating systems .....god forbid it could be THEIR products...lol.

Edit if you are  REALLY thinking I am full of it a simple search on google or youtube will show several 3D modeling videos of this same problem , it is by no means limited to FSX/P3D but it can be corrected with proper texturing and modeling.

Rant off...

Edited by Slayer
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

On 5/9/2018 at 1:27 AM, Matthew James de Bohun said:

The only way to reduce shimmering to an acceptable level is to use 8xSSAA I have found. Which does come at an FPS cost. Either that or get a 4k monitor apparently. Anything less than that and I get distant light and object shimmer and the runway edges at low angles just look terrible! 😞

I've been using 4k monitors (55 inch) for years and the shimmering is just as bad. In theory the higher resolution the smaller the jagged edges which just means the shimmering is much sharper! 1000 small jaggies instead of 500 larger ones...

Seems either we accept the shimmers or accept the slideshow. I grew to tolerate them way more during VFR into unfamiliar OrbX airports, especially those tiny grass strips. Without the buildings coming 'alive' when you get near I would never have found half the buggers!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

9 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

I've been using 4k monitors (55 inch) for years and the shimmering is just as bad. In theory the higher resolution the smaller the jagged edges which just means the shimmering is much sharper! 1000 small jaggies instead of 500 larger ones...

Seems either we accept the shimmers or accept the slideshow. I grew to tolerate them way more during VFR into unfamiliar OrbX airports, especially those tiny grass strips. Without the buildings coming 'alive' when you get near I would never have found half the buggers!

Yeah i think it's reached the point where night lighting needs a major overhaul in P3D. Unfortunately I'm not sure it's really on their radar of things to do.

If i want a good night time expereince then i just use X plane now and even that suffers from popping though but on the whole it's far better.

P3D & X-Plane 11 - Videos and streaming @ V Special 1

I will have to test a range of options in P3D v4, but I can only get an acceptable reduction of shimmering in P3D v3.4 with 4x SGSS AA enabled (via Nvidia Inspector). I seriously doubt that the SSAA options in P3D v4 will be as good as this, but I will let you know.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On 5/10/2018 at 2:00 AM, Slayer said:

...If you approach anyone via support channels you always get told it's your video drivers or your settings which is total BS as I have  seen this over 4 different computers 5 generations of video cards, FSX to P3D V4 and 4 operating systems .....god forbid it could be THEIR products...lol.E

This is so true in many cases ...

and not to forget that quite often other vedors products could be responsible too ...

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).