Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Descending too slow

Hi

I'm using the default ATC, plus sometimes I'm flying the PMDG 737, and sometimes the Aerosoft a320. 

The problem I'm getting is that quite often I'm not given enough time to descend for the short final. It means that the cockpit ILS eventually doesn't work. 

I reduce the speed, and I use the speed brakes on order to descend more, but the ATC doesn't give me enough time! It's there a config setting in fsx.cfg where I want to say I need more time to descend? 

Thanks

Gaz

How does Moses make his coffee? Hebrews it.  

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

Nope, no .cfg setting.  Descent is more or less in your ballpark.  When I set up an IFR flight between hither and yon, the flight planner rarely assigns the correct cruise altitude for me, so I put in what I think is more or less correct.  Ergo, I know for a fact that ATC won't get me down in time for a good ILS or visual approach.  Therefore, at about 150 miles from destination I start requesting a lower altitude.  It's called beating ATC to the punch.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 hours ago, charliearon said:

It's called beating ATC to the punch

It's a shame that you have to do that! I'll give it a go, however.

Thanks!

Gaz

I took the shell off my racing snail, thinking it would make him run faster. If anything, that made him more sluggish.

Gaz on Facebook

23 minutes ago, Gary McCluskey said:

Thanks!

Gaz

Yeah, but it sure beats "diving for the deck" when you are at 5,000 feet about a mile from the runway!😲

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

2 hours ago, Gary McCluskey said:

Thanks!

Gaz

Yeah, the default ATC is not that good. I usually don’t even file an IFR flight plan with it and just use it for landing and takeoff in VFR rules, otherwise the ATC will have you making super long final approaches and other weird things.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

http://onlineflightplanner.org/

Very accurate Flight Plans you can even follow on flightradar24, as well ASN weather can read the saved flight plans (many formats) Basically ignore ATC for heading changes without being terminated - annoying callouts but still no IFR cancellations. Ask for altitude changes and stay ahead the curve.  Lots of time to set up your stars and ils approaches.

I'm getting the impression from the forums that the builtin atc is not very good, but the other atc don't handle the AI traffic. It's a shame. The idea of doing it early, and ignoring the calls to go back may be good, but I was also thinking of doing a 360 near the short final,while continuing the 'normal' decent. 

Gaz on Facebook

FSX is an old program and it retained many legacy features of previous versions of MS Flight Sim.  The stock ATC is poor and out of date.  Aftermarket ATC programs lack some of the good features of the stock ATC.  It really seems that ATC is one of the most neglected features of FSX.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, stans said:

It really seems that ATC is one of the most neglected features of FSX.

I totally agree. 

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

The default ATC is brain dead.  I have found the best solution is to descend at 3000 fpm or more, rather than th 1800 fpm recommended by FSX.  This usually means idling the engines and using spoilers all the way down.  The sooner you get to an assigned altitude, the sooner you will get a new assigned altitude (but not always).  Once you get to 10,000 feet, descend as quickly as you can, while respecting the speed restrictions, even if that means idling the engines and using spoilers.

Also, you have to ignore the ATC whenever it gives you a really stupid instruction, like flying into the side of a mountain.

I guess this is the lesson FSX teaches would be pilots -- feel free to ignore ATC.

For the most part, the default ATC is very predictable and it treats all approaches the same way.

I agree. I'm wondering if another product would be better, like x-plane?

Gaz

Gaz on Facebook

The only reliable way to have realistic ATC is to fly online using free services such as VATSIM or a paid service like PilotEdge.

Otherwise you'll have to read reviews on addons such as PFE, PRO ATC/X, VoxATC etc to see if any might be satisfactory. They all seem to have their own individual pluses and minuses.

Barry Friedman

Flying the default jets, the QW 757(lite mode) and Capt Sim 737/727 the default ATC works fine for me. I always fly GPS direct in fair weather and I usually file VFR to leave and 150mi from the destination I re-file IFR so ATC can get me to the localizer. The silly *your xxx ft above your assigned alt* type calls are annoying, but overall FSX ATC works fine for me. I descend at anywhere between 1600fpm to 2000fpm depending on the distance remaining and terrain. Flying from DEN to SLC you have to drop down rather quickly after clearing the Wasatch Mountains, but if you descend too quickly before you clear the mountains ATC will send you back up which can be distracting.

Bruce

I rarely, if ever, use a third party ATC tool now despite flying airliners. AI interaction and extensibility is just too limited.

Save for the annoying lack of auto-reply and anticipating runways at the target airport, default totally does the trick for me. And as long as the destination weather permits, I can simply revert to flight following during climb and fly whereever a FMC takes me, including STARs.

Hints:

During descent, ATC expects a vertical speed lower than -1000 fpm or so. That number is fixed and ATC doesn't care whether you're at your target altitude when the next instruction comes. Altitude is only monitored within +/- 300 feet of your target altitude. If you're not careful, you'll be vectored onto the localizer with 8000 feet between you and the airfield, necessitating a combat approach or a go-around.

ATC usually vectors your aircraft to 20 to 30 nm out, also after a missed approach, and puts it on an intercept course to the localizer. AI follows the approaches defined in the airport layout (ADE) file, so if properly defined, it ironically has less issues in difficult terrain regarding ATC compliance.

Runway selection is determined by the airport layout, wind and available runways. Default ATC basically uses aircraft weight to pick the runways in use. If ATC thinks your aircraft can't handle a short runway, you'll be vectored onto the next available longer one. If a parallel runway is used for takeoffs only, you can still approach it, but you'll be ordered to sidestep. If the airport is coded for crosswind runway use, you can select any runway that's open and available.

FSX/P3D ATC is a masterpiece of code, despite the quirks and limitations. Only Falcon 4's(!!) comes close.

Note:

X-Plane's ATC is still mostly a planewreck, FlightGear's and Aerofly's is (still) nonexistent.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Even though I have the wind turned off, I usually change the wind direction before starting my flight to ensure that ATC assigns me a straight in landing. For instance flying from SDF to MEM I know MEM has a rwy 27 so I change the wind direction to 270. If you have a tail wind you'll get the opposite rwy and have to fly past the airport and come back. That adds a good deal of time to the flight. 

Bruce