Corrie

Navigraph Charts Quarantined

Recommended Posts

Hi All

Can anyone please tell me how to Stop 'BT Virus Protect' (McAfee) from Quarantining my Navigraph Charts Desktop shortcut.

This has happened twice now. I am able to restore it, but surely there must be a way to prevent it re-occurring.

I use a Windows 7 PC for Navigraph Charts, and a Window 10 PC for FSX Steam edition; using a different Antivirus program.

Thank you.

Sorry if posted in the wrong place.

Corrie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Posted (edited)

Uninstall McAffee? :)

I find Windows Defender to be more than adequate on Windows 7.

Cheers!

Luke

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Luke

Something to think about, but will see if there are any other ideas first.

Regards

Corrie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the settings page of most anti-virus/anti-malware programs, there's an "Exceptions" page.  Exempt the program from scanning your FS directory.  I have all of my FS stuff on Drive G and have excepted the whole drive from being scanned by these stupid programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

In the settings page of most anti-virus/anti-malware programs, there's an "Exceptions" page.  Exempt the program from scanning your FS directory.  I have all of my FS stuff on Drive G and have excepted the whole drive from being scanned by these stupid programs.

Jim,is that not risky? Especially flying with real time weather updates or anything else updating on line while flying such as say VATSIM?

Edited by PATCO LCH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your firewall is sufficient protection.  A spammer or other evil person will normally attack your operating system which is still protected.  Are you saying that VATSIM has evil owners who would send you a virus or malware?  Viruses and malware are usually received when you download something from an unknown Source.  Malware and viruses can be sent via advertisements or spamming e-mails.  That's how you get attacked, not from friendly places like found at all flight simulation websites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might also add that Luke above is right on.  Windows Defender does an excellent job of keeping malware and viruses off of your system and it is FREE.  I never ever used an anti-malware or anti-virus program since August 1991 when I first started computing and never got a virus.  I now have Windows 10 and it is mandatory for everyone to use Windows Defender (in Windows 7 it was optional).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Your firewall is sufficient protection.  A spammer or other evil person will normally attack your operating system which is still protected.  Are you saying that VATSIM has evil owners who would send you a virus or malware?  Viruses and malware are usually received when you download something from an unknown Source.  Malware and viruses can be sent via advertisements or spamming e-mails.  That's how you get attacked, not from friendly places like found at all flight simulation websites.

I by no means was insinuating anything about VATSIM but was merely using them as example of  simming while actively on line. I think that would be obvious .  I'm not very knowledgeable of the technical working of malware but fear bad actor's could sneak in with innocent activity's such as weather updating etc without the knowledge of eather party. Do they not call that Trojans? I don't want malware in my sim file or anywhere else so I have no exclusions with Windows Defender and have seen nothing detrimental to my sim performance. I was wanting your technical take,meant no insinuations and don't appreciate being basically accused of slandering anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Microsoft made a decision to protect their operating system and that is where most of the attacks occur as you can get three gold stars from the Spam Empire if you can penetrate and send a virus or spam to destroy one's computer system.  This might have been super easy in the 90's and earlier but technology has increased and Microsoft has a firewall that is very powerful and now an anti-virus/malware program called Windows Defender as they were being hit by many users that they were not adequately protecting their operating system.  So, you can get an anti-malware or anti-virus program and pay another $50 a year for protection but, IMHO, you do not need it, at least not with Windows 10.  I do have Anti-Malwares Bytes installed but they are getting to be a nuisance.  They have to be a nuisance once in a while to make you believe they are actually protecting you from evil people.  About the best thing they have is the ability to let you know if you are going to a malicious website or a phishing website.  But most browsers will do that too. 

About every six months, someone brings up virus issues.  You would think computers were being attacked daily but they are not.  If you worked for a government agency or major corporation like Microsoft, then you should be concerned about attacks as that is where most of the evil hackers attempt to penetrate and leave malware or viruses.  A normal citizen is not that big of a target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the informative post Jim but not to Start a debate I don't know about the ordinary citizen being so safe. I'm sure these cockroaches would love to find a way to steal passwords or monitor financial transactions, as well as ID theft. How about ransom ware? Some may even get giggles by crashing PCs like little frogs that go around smashing mail boxes.

If they get into the South Carolina Department Of Revenue, DOD, PayPal , Blue Cross just to name a few I sure Joe Simmer is not invincible. Even if the normal citizen is not the direct target could he not be vulnerable from larger host institutions he may be connected to such as real time weather or anything else he may be directly connected to while simming even though the host is innocent but unknowingly infected their selves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i with  Jim  on this  i  got  my  whole hard  drive   on my  exclusion    since  got  2  drives  one  for  flight  sim   etc  and the other   o/s  system   related  stuff,  and  gave  away  payware  av  years  ago  since  they are  more  trouble  than  they  are  worth,   using  mse  with no issues   and  using. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2018 at 8:30 PM, PATCO LCH said:

I'm sure these cockroaches would love to find a way to steal passwords or monitor financial transactions, as well as ID theft. How about ransom ware? ... If they get into the South Carolina Department Of Revenue, DOD, PayPal , Blue Cross just to name a few I sure Joe Simmer is not invincible.

Note the targets you mention. While they might (and this is a BIG if) be more protected, there's also infinitely more data there to steal. Why would I bother targeting a few individuals when I can get data for tens of thousands of people?

Your odds of getting hacked through a connected add-on are very, very low. They are practically zero if it's written in a managed .NET language like ActiveSky is. But if you're that worried I suggest you not go online at all. The only truly secure computer is one disconnected from the network - and powered off. :)

I don't share Jim's security around advertising on flightsim websites. Unless these sites are serving the creatives themselves and inspecting them, that's a much bigger attack vector. I keep my ad blocker on if there is any 3rd-party ad serving.

Cheers!

Luke

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Luke said:

Note the targets you mention. While they might (and this is a BIG if) be more protected, there's also infinitely more data there to steal. Why would I bother targeting a few individuals when I can get data for tens of thousands of people?

Your odds of getting hacked through a connected add-on are very, very low. They are practically zero if it's written in a managed .NET language like ActiveSky is. But if you're that worried I suggest you not go online at all. The only truly secure computer is one disconnected from the network - and powered off. :)

I don't share Jim's security around advertising on flightsim websites. Unless these sites are serving the creatives themselves and inspecting them, that's a much bigger attack vector. I keep my ad blocker on if there is any 3rd-party ad serving.

Cheers!

Luke

 

Thanks Luke. Interesting subject and important to us all. As I said, I'm no technical whiz on these matters. To play it safe I don't exclude any files in Microsoft Defender and really see no performance penalty as a result. Even if there is I will Iive with it for the extra layer of safety real or imagined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, Jim Young said:

Microsoft made a decision to protect their operating system and that is where most of the attacks occur as you can get three gold stars from the Spam Empire if you can penetrate and send a virus or spam to destroy one's computer system.  This might have been super easy in the 90's and earlier but technology has increased and Microsoft has a firewall that is very powerful and now an anti-virus/malware program called Windows Defender as they were being hit by many users that they were not adequately protecting their operating system.  So, you can get an anti-malware or anti-virus program and pay another $50 a year for protection but, IMHO, you do not need it, at least not with Windows 10.  I do have Anti-Malwares Bytes installed but they are getting to be a nuisance.  They have to be a nuisance once in a while to make you believe they are actually protecting you from evil people.  About the best thing they have is the ability to let you know if you are going to a malicious website or a phishing website.  But most browsers will do that too. 

About every six months, someone brings up virus issues.  You would think computers were being attacked daily but they are not.  If you worked for a government agency or major corporation like Microsoft, then you should be concerned about attacks as that is where most of the evil hackers attempt to penetrate and leave malware or viruses.  A normal citizen is not that big of a target. 

Jim,

I have been having an on going issue for weeks with a very widely used web site we simmers as well as traveling public uses to track flight schedules as well as pick up flight plans.Only on this site does this happen. Suddenly my screen goes white and a loud voice proclaims "Microsoft Internet Security Alert. Your computer my be infected with a virus." It goes on to say call "Microsoft at the number below to have the virus removed or Microsoft will shut down your computer". I doubt seriously that number is Microsoft. I always back out immediately and run Defender which usually finds no malware. Only once I was unable to back out so I shut down,  rebooted my computer and ran Defender. This time it showed and removed the following : Trojan:Script/Cloxer.Alcl.

It only happens on this one site anyone on this forum would be very familiar with. Hence my paranoia.  I have a nice rig I got only two years ago and certainly don't want it infected by these worms.

Be glad to hear your take on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now