Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Why this rush for v5? V4 is still amazing

Hi RMM,

I don't have anything particularly out of the normal in comparison to the crowd that hangs around these parts. Many others here at AVSIN have my setup beat by every measurement. My yoke, rudder petals and throttle quadrant are standard FS Saitek (don't know the series numbers).  Also have several Saitek X-52 sticks and throttles that I accumulated as soon as they appeared to go out of business, so as to provide spare parts for the future.

Unlike some of my closest local FS friends, I do not have a lot of other physicals either, as I have ventured down a different road in flight simulation integration. I have trained myself to run the cockpit of whatever I am flying from inside the virtual cockpit with TrackIR. If the buttons, switches levers and knobs work onscreen, they are worked onscreen. In my opinion the height of convincing self believability is to be within the sim, not without.

I do not see my monitor as a window to the world outside of the aircraft, but a portal to enter and sit in the pilot's seat and look out the window from there, not from here where I sit and type to you. Thousands of (ill spent) hours of FS flight has hard baked that within (pardon the pun). I never liked the old 2-D cockpits except as necessary evils to make stuff work, nor their physical counterparts much better, but always spent my time in the virtual cockpits, no matter how primitive they were (thank you Posky).

So, whether I fly my QW 787 or countless smaller payware airplanes within my 140 ORBX products and innumerable airports and utilities (500g worth), I do it within my imaginary world portrayed via TrackIR in a 4K Samsung 55 inch curved screen TV set 28 to 36 inches away. It is powered by a 2700K screaming with 8 threads at 4.9Ghz with an Nvidia 1080 GTX running at 120% on the latest drivers and Windows 10. 

The hardware is getting old, but still works flawlessly, but if the hardware takes a big jump, I most likely will also, but as it is, am pleased to the way it runs fast (unlimited usually between 24-40 FPS) and smoothly. It is nothing special, I am nothing special, and the setup is no longer state-of-the-art, but there is something huge going on. Prepare 3D and X-Plane have entered a new place where, along with ingenious add-on discoverers, they have brought flying down to earth, everyday, for people like you and I.

Thank you for the opportunity and incentive to answer your question and explain why I am almost always happy with this hobby, the simulated fun of flying and the great people associated with it, many of whom I have come to care about, appreciate and respect.

Thank you for asking.

With the fastest hand (with mouse) and eye co-ordination in the north-east,

Kind regards,

Stephen :smile:

Edited by SpiritFlyer
I did because I could, and because I could, I did.
  • Like 1

Hello Stephen...

Much appreciated.   I am looking to another yoke at a higher price point.  Don’t want to hijack this thread though.  

Best regards

RMM

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rmmm said:

Hello Stephen...

Much appreciated.   I am looking to another yoke at a higher price point.  Don’t want to hijack this thread though.  

Best regards

RMM

RMM,

One of my local FS friends is buying a new "Boeing" yoke, and has a lot of other great hardware in his home cockpit. I look forward to giving his new controls a try the first opportunity I get.

Now, back to our regular scheduled programming...

Kind regards,

Stephen  :smile:

On 6/21/2018 at 2:58 AM, suchw said:

Its simple,  the more you upgrade something the more people buy the new version and you make more money,  example phones,  thats progress i guess otherwise not much would change 

LOL...I am not sure that the phone is that good of an example of progress. Some Dildo on TV is advertising that with their Ap you can sent a post card to a friend. I think the phone doo doo bird is running out of ideas!! LOL What is their next "New Idea" for getting daddy's money? Perhalps bring back "Party lines" (Many here don't even know what that is!!😂).

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/