Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Why this rush for v5? V4 is still amazing

1 hour ago, pmb said:

The X-Plane engine is as old as the MSFS/P3D engine. Of course both got several facelifts over the years, but basically that's it.

Kind regards, Michael

X Plane can't even figure out how to have seasons yet. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

24 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

X Plane can't even figure out how to have seasons yet. 

While this is true, by no means do I want to turn this into another XP vs. P3D thread. I just wanted to correct the misconception of the XP engine being modern while P3D engine being old, which simply doesn't apply.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Just now, pmb said:

While this is true, by no means do I want to turn this into another XP vs. P3D thread.

Well said. You'll notice that it's always the same people turning threads like these in XP vs P3D threads. What problems do they have? 😂

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

Well said. You'll notice that it's always the same people turning threads like these in XP vs P3D threads. What problems do they have? 😂

Needing to point fingers doesn't do much either... can't you just let it go?

• Like 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

3 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

and in my view v4 is still new and amazing.

3 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

I should not have read the text you posted in your first post and read your mind. next time Ill take note of that

Take an hour and read the hardware forum or ctd forum and more to see an obvious reason people are looking to another version

Which of the two is your current view? CTDs were present from P3Dv1 to P3Dv4. Do you bet that when P3Dv5 is out the ctd forum will be...no more? I doubt it.
I didn't said P3D v4 is perfect, that's why service packs are coming every couple of months. That's normal. 

3 hours ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Where are the many posts?

The only one I have seen that resembles the speculation mentioned is this one. 

True or not (as if that is important these days), great heading for a thread though,

and effective to produce interest and the gushing of many words,

including these! 

😎

I don't want to start referring posts, I have seen a dozen the last weeks. Why you think I would lie on that? The fact that you haven't seen them only means that you haven't read all the posts. But because they appear here and there, they create an impression and I wanted to point out two things: a) P3Dv5 its not imminent and b)we should not dismiss the current version as its certainly not old. Its new and shiny. Certainly my personal view, shared by many others. We don't have to all agree of course. But we can agree that v5 is not coming anytime soon.

Edited by Daedalus
  • Like 1

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

I am waiting for v5. On v3 right now. Skipping v4 as there isn't enough there considering the upgrade cost (some of my add-ons will need buying again). A new rendering engine is exciting and we have not seen any significant change for years so people are excited about v5 and that is no bad thing.

That fellow commenting on the Commodore 64 w/ the 8-bit 6502 1 MHZ processor had it right, but I'll add this - flying at 2 FPS made you think WAY ahead!  When I got FS for the Amiga 2000 I was blown away, and that was a 7 MHZ processor with 512K of RAM.  For those of us who have been at it from the start, we appreciate where we are.

I used to think all the Forum Whiners lived out of their parent's basements, but sadly I know a fellow programmer whom I used to work with who now works in Silicon Valley deliberately leaves comments on a wide range of forums (news forums, social forums, etc.) just to stir the pot, heck he doesn't even believe most of what he writes - he gets his jollies on getting everyone else riled up.  Sad.

The anonymous nature of the Internet has seen a real decline of on-line civility.  Only write things you would be willing to say to someone to their face over a cup of tea.

Mark

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Why v5? 

Because lighting in v4 is far behind XP11... Airports at night in XP11 look amazing!

• Like 1

Matthew S

8 hours ago, bgpearce01 said:

I have 10 times more effort into installing/forums then actual flight

Yeah and by the time installing/forum is done - I just turn off my computer and go to bed 😃 Seriously, I would ask LM fix 4 first before release 5.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

If LM could fix all the long standing legacy bugs inherrited from FSX I would be more than happy. While PBR is nice, LM really needs to focus on fixing the simulation, before introducing more new features like improved graphics etc. Now after all these years, P3D still suffers from:

• the famous ground friction bug
  • horrible turboprop simulation that is not even close to real life, including startup and lack of beta range simulation (not even jet engines are properly simulated by default)
  • horrible helicopter simulation
  • RPM/MP bug (piston engines)
  • the famous leaning bug for piston engines
  • completely lack of ground handling
  • terrible water dynamics (try to maneouver a turboprop plane like the twin otter on floats in P3D, and you'll understand)
  • flight dynamics and especially how the wind and turbulence affects the airplane is more or less completely missing

If this gets fixed and improved in v5, I would be a happy boy.

This short video is from X-plane 11, where the default B737 is landing in gusty crosswind. This is how it should be in P3D too.

• Like 3

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

3 hours ago, sanh said:

I am waiting for v5. On v3 right now. Skipping v4 as there isn't enough there considering the upgrade cost (some of my add-ons will need buying again). A new rendering engine is exciting and we have not seen any significant change for years so people are excited about v5 and that is no bad thing.

There hasn't been much change at all on the P3D platform since v2 to be honest. V2 introduced several graphical and performance improvements. V3 gave us improved memory and performance utilization, and not much else if I remember correctly. V4 gave us 64bit, improved VR and dynamic landing lights. Nothing else. So really, I'm not so sure if I'm willing to pay for a new license every 2nd year at this pace. I also own X-plane 11 and DCS World. A lot more has been introduced in X-plane the last two years than in P3D, with regular free updates. And big news coming over the next few months for XP.

So, I'm not very optimistic for v5, but I really hope I'm wrong.

---

MSFS | DCS | X-plane 12

I think what a lot of people are missing is that LM doesn't even HAVE to update P3D for it to be used by a military or commercial TRAINING program.  When was the last time you did any real-world flight (or combat) computer simulated TRAINING that required you have a "scenario" loaded that would let you fly 2000 miles over photoreal scenery at 1 meter per pixel resolution?  Or drive a tank 100 miles?  Or have the need to display people walking around on the ground using up the computer's CPU cycles (in most cases there is absolutely no need whatsoever to have "ground personnel" or "spectators" displayed in most training scenarios)?  Or have an airport displaying 100 AI aircraft in high resolution at the gates?  Or all the other "eye candy" stuff we non-commercial, non-military users use our flight simulators for.  Remember...P3D is NOT an "entertainment" platform.  It is designed as a Scenario Training Simulator...not a "fly me around the entire world with all the eye candy I can load all at the same time". 

P3D "as is" right now can simulate real world flight training requirements using small(er) geographic areas limited to only the area needed for the commercial pilot or military pilot training scenarios (or other ground or sea based military training scenarios).  Nobody in commercial or military flight training is going to sit a pilot trainee at a computer simulation and have them fly cross-country for 8+ hours. The simulation ("scenario") will be much shorter, in a limited geographic area, that won't be using all the "eye candy" that chokes the heck out of most of OUR computers when we use P3D.

Just sayin'.....

We "non-commercial", "non-military", and "non-training" users cause our own problems with the product by all the things we overload it with ourselves.  You aren't going to see that kind of "non-necessary" addon choking taking place in commercial or military training environments.

😎

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 1

Rick Ryan

Eagerly waiting for v6!. Meanwhile, I keep flying.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Look, think about it this way. I started flying gliders 30 years ago. I flew for one season and then I had a very long break and started again about 6 years ago. I'm a competent glider pilot with an FAI silver badge and I've also have a couple brown underpants experiences under my belt and lived to tell the tell. I have the pleasure of being acquainted with a lot of pilots who's shoe laces I am not fit to tie from guys who where 777 captains to guys who flew F-86's and spitfire's.

There is a lot of flight Sim word not allowed! My flying buddies would probably say fairly unanimously that the best thing FS is good for is learning instrument flying and IFR. They are definitely transferable skills from sim to reality.

However everything else forget about it. For example comparisons between flight dynamics in X-Plane and P3D are word not allowed! Neither of them are anything like real flying. Its a video game! Do you think that Call of Duty is anything like being in a real military combat situation?

Here's the thing, whatever you learn in flight sim outside of real training environment is likely to kill you in the real world and whatever you learn flying for real will turn you into Chuck Yeager in a sim.

All respect to serious flight simmers who have cut their teeth in the air for real and your differing opinions are respected as such but those in the flight sim community who have not seat behind the yoke or stick and heard the words "you have control" at least, should probably keep their opinions about how real flight sim is to themselves. And beyond that if this is your hobby and you do not take control of a real aircraft at least once a year you are missing out big time, if only to hear the instructor say "your full of it! I know you have far more flying experience than you are letting on!"

My opinion is that improved performance in Prepar3D whether it is V4 or V5 is the most important issue. As a real world pilot I would say that the suspense of disbelief is paramount or put another way, immersion is by far the most pressing issue for Sim hobbyists and that is NOT about flight dynamics. Its about a smooth, stutter free, crisp texture experience. That should be the priority.

1 minute ago, Avidean said:

Its about a smooth, stutter free, crisp texture experience. That should be the priority.

I agree. Then you should try Aerofly FS 2.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers