Sign in to follow this  
MauB

v4.3 mouse problem, sim freeze

Posted this on the P3D forums and I'm duplicating here at Avsim.

Hi gents, I'm having an annoying problem on using mouse to operate the 4.3 version. Everytime I click and drag the mouse (using some lever for example, throttle, prop, mixture, etc), or when I right click, or clicking MMB, my sim freezes and it only come back if I put the cursor out of the screen or at a menu item. 
I've tried with 4 different GPU drivers (with and without NVInspector), including the last Nvidia driver, and with a full installation of P3D (even deleted all the LM folders at MyDocs, Appdata, ProgrameData after unistall to make sure I clean everything, etc). All my system and hardware drivers are up to date.
So this is on a fresh sim, all default, with ZERO add-ons. Loading from the start screen a default aircraft, on the default airport. I have my sim on a folder direct on 😄 drive (C:\P3D_V4) as I always do since FS9 times, and did on every P3D version as wel. Running on admin rights of course. My Avira Anti-Virus have P3D and it's folders on the "excluded" apps list, but I tried with it turned of either.
Tried without any hardware plugged in (apart from the mouse obviously), and tried with a different mouse, same result.
Can't think of anything more to do...
I'm close to do a full system install, but I'm here to try my luck on a different approach first, I hope, considering my system is behaving normally and a full system install is a tedious thing to do (not the installation but the needed backups I didn't make yet lol).
Below are my system specs:

i7 2600K @ 3.4GHz
8 GB Ram
Geforce GTX580 1.5GB
Windows 10
P3D v4.3
My mouse is an EVGA Torq X5, but I've tried with a Kolke wireless mouse, and a generic one (can't remember the brand name, if it has one) as well.

Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks in advance.

Some observations:
If I disable "cockpit tool tips" I can right click (to bring menu up) and use MMB without freezing, but the "click and drag" still freezes the sim. With the "cockpit tool tips" option activated, when using right click and MMB the sim freezes again.
The strange thing is the sounds continue to work (in a loop kind of state).
Left single click is always working fine, the problem is when I click and drag.

Will record a video to help.

Any suggestions?

Edited by MauB

Mauricio Brentano

Makes sure you have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the device - https://www.evga.com/mice/torq-x5-x3/

This is a Windows 10 problem and not a P3D issue.  Make sure you install the 64 bit driver version.  You are playing a 64 bit application and your Mouse may not work properly if using a 32-bit version.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, thanks for your suggestion but as I pointed out on my post all my hardware drivers are up to date, including mouse (I even reinstalled mouse drivers to make sure).
On v4.2 which is 64bits this problem didn't happen. I think it's not related to mouse driver or 64bit application etc, considering I've tried with 3 different mouse (2 wired and one wireless).

Here is a video of the problem:

https://youtu.be/A88hdHwmQnI

Edited by MauB

Mauricio Brentano

2 hours ago, MauB said:

Any suggestions?

This is a very long shot, but you never know. Do you have the Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel? If so, make sure you spin it until Windows detects it (USB disconnect sound) before you start P3D. This is the source of a different mouse-related problem and I was very grateful to someone who pointed out the fix for me!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

6 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

This is a very long shot, but you never know. Do you have the Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel? If so, make sure you spin it until Windows detects it (USB disconnect sound) before you start P3D. This is the source of a different mouse-related problem and I was very grateful to someone who pointed out the fix for me!

Hi Mark, I don't have the Saitek Trim Wheel, but I have Saitek Combat Pedals.
I tried with pedals disconnected from the PC either to no avail. In fact I tried without any kind of hardware connected to the PC apart from mouse, same result.
Really a strange one! I've never have anything similar to this on my rather long simming carrer.😃
Thanks for your suggestion though.

Edited by MauB

Mauricio Brentano

maybe I have the same, or similar, issue: for example I can't moove the spd brk or the trottle levers with mouse... It works with a single click, no with drag&drop

p3d 4.3 with pmdg 737. Fresh new installation 

wireless mouse (trust gxt120)

Edited by 614NLV

MauB,

I'm having the same problenm with v4.3. You went several steps beyond what I've tried, and I see you have the same problem. I've tried and changed to the latest FSUIPC and still have the same problems. Frustating at this time, but it is always like this with new versions.

Hi gents, well I'm somewhat relieved to know that I'm not alone on this, thanks.
I haven't got a reply to my post at the LM forums thus far.

Mauricio Brentano

Hi Mauricio,

I don’t have an answer for you but I would try the following in an effort to eliminate the mouse/mouse drivers as the cause:

1. Run the same flight scenario without moving the mouse.

2. Disconnect the mouse before running the same flight again.

3. Try reproducing this in different flight situations.

4. Try the same flight using the mouse as the yoke and disconnect your other devices.

When I saw your video it reminded me of the brief pauses many of us have experienced in previous versions. The difference is that your pauses appear to be multiple and there may be an association with certain aspects of mouse activity whereas ours were not mouse related, seemed to be restricted to specific flight situations and were reproduceable. These were discussed here at length and reported to LM but, somewhat frustratingly, we have received no feedback as to the likely cause/s. I have yet to update to 4.3 so cannot say whether the problem persists. However, a few reports have started to appear that suggest this issue is not yet resolved.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike, I tried all the steps you mentioned, same result.
The freeze only happens when I click and drag the mouse on a "lever" (axis) command, like throttles, prop, mixture, spoiler, or any other VC object operated by click and drag method.
I can normally fly without mouse (as I have hardware yoke, throttle quadrant and pedals), but the problem occurs on v4.3 only. Single click commands are working fine, any button command works.
In fact I did the normal client update as I always did, and noticed the problem on the A2A Comanche which was the first add-on I've opened after the 4.3 update. When I tried to operate the cockpit vents and defroster (I don't have buttons assigned to it, so I operate those levers with mouse) using click and drag my sim froze. So I tested with a bunch of other add-ons and bingo, same problem with click and drag commands. Default aircraft, same. Then I went to the full reinstall process and trouble-shooting I mentioned on my OP. Fresh sim, zero add-ons, no hardware connected to PC, 3 different mouse, same problem.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Mauricio Brentano

Hi Mauricio,

I appreciate you have stated that P3D is in its default state. However, save your current controller assignments then try the effect of returning these to their default settings and test again.

Regards,

Mike

I found a workaround for now: keep clicked the button mouse instead of drag.

if you click the right button (and keep clicked) this push the throttle levers

if you click the left, the (single) throttle lever retracts

works also for other levers

4 hours ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Mauricio,

I appreciate you have stated that P3D is in its default state. However, save your current controller assignments then try the effect of returning these to their default settings and test again.

Regards,

Mike

Already did, same problem. Thanks Mike.

3 hours ago, 614NLV said:

I found a workaround for now: keep clicked the button mouse instead of drag.

if you click the right button (and keep clicked) this push the throttle levers

if you click the left, the (single) throttle lever retracts

works also for other levers

As soon as I left click a lever the sim freezes (the mouse pointer turns to a "closed hand" or whatever and I can't click anything, nothing works) and it will only came back when I put the mouse pointer out of the screen or at a top menu item. Any kind of lever, axis, or object which requires you to drag to operate causes this issue. I can use the mouse wheel to operate though.
If I right click it doesn't matter, if it's a lever or a button, it will bring the pop up menu and it wont operate the axis.
I'm giving up on the 4.3, but I'm affraid I don't have the earlier versions on backup (silly me) 😢. That's why I'm desperately trying to figure this out 😄.
Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by MauB

Mauricio Brentano

Hi Mauricio,

Could there be a conflict between your mouse and keyboard? Are both using USB ports? USB 2 or 3? Might be worth trying the effect of switching ports. Borrow another keyboard and try that or maybe get an adapter and connect the keyboard to the PS/2 port.

Regards,

Mike

17 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hi Mauricio,

Could there be a conflict between your mouse and keyboard? Are both using USB ports? USB 2 or 3? Might be worth trying the effect of switching ports. Borrow another keyboard and try that or maybe get an adapter and connect the keyboard to the PS/2 port.

Regards,

Mike

Mike, I've tried 3 different mouse (tried all of USB ports on my PC, front and rear, 2.0 and 3.0), with the PS/2 keyboard disconnected from PC, and tried with a wireless USB keyboard+mouse as well. Same issue.
Thanks buddy, really appreciate your concern.

Mauricio Brentano