Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Blackfly - would you try this craft?

Right, AC isn't common on light GA planes. On the other hand, even on a hot day they have the advantage of flying at altitudes where the air is usually cooler, so all you need is outside vented air. These electric rotorcraft will probably be restricted to operating much closer to the ground where you can't escape the heat.

For cold weather, heating is basically free with a hot aircraft engine for a source, but these won't have that, so it will be another load on the battery. Easier than running AC though.

Maybe that won't be a factor, but in some areas it could limit the things to a mostly recreational use in comfortable weather. Not a viable replacement for cars and other ground-based transportation, like some of these outfits are hyping. 

Man, I'm really sounding curmudgeonly, aren't I? 🙂

Heck, I'd fly one if it arrived free on my doorstep tomorrow, and I could find a place where it wouldn't annoy people. I'm just not buying the hype about wide acceptance.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I find it both amusing, and yet disturbing, that mankind seems to be just sitting back and allowing a handful of developers, supported by big business, to proceed with these aircraft and drones. Do we ultimately want to end up living in a dystopian world full of thousands of drones and personal transport aircraft noisily buzzing around the skies. Do we really want to be relaxing on a beach or enjoying the wilderness only to have drones buzz in and out delivering "hot dogs and a six pack" to some lazy plebs too lazy to walk to the store or pack a lunch?
We have all seen it in the movies yet we seem to simply just accept all of this as a fait accompli. At the moment there seems to be no ethical oversight or appropriate regulation of this industry.

Cheers

Steve Hall

On 7/20/2018 at 4:26 PM, cowpatz said:

At the moment there seems to be no ethical oversight or appropriate regulation of this industry.

Like almost everything else we humans do or cause, it will eventually be 'reactive' instead of 'proactive'.

Regardless, the majority won't want to fly it so I envision this thing flying itself, an air taxi of sorts; cue Uber-Air. This Blackfly is basically one step closer to "The Jetsons".

On 7/25/2018 at 10:11 AM, VeryBumpy said:

Like almost everything else we humans do or cause, it will eventually be 'reactive' instead of 'proactive'.

Regardless, the majority won't want to fly it so I envision this thing flying itself, an air taxi of sorts; cue Uber-Air. This Blackfly is basically one step closer to "The Jetsons".

It will be the cost of these aircraft that keeps them out of the general population.  People will prefer their cars, which can get into more immediate places and spaces, as they always have, even their bicycles in the countries where those reign.  Air travel should be for the big hops, rail for the intermediate hops, and cars for the shorter ones.  And eventually, that is what will happen, as in Phoenix we now have light rail that can whisk one across the city very quickly and smoothly, which is seen in other cities.

In the San Francisco Bay Area I loved BART and the ferry system, could go anywhere, leaving my car behind.  When I worked near Washington DC I used the rail/underground there, went all over the place from my base in Gaithersburg right down to the Mall or to the National Zoo, or to the Washington Cathedral where I walked it from the station.  In Atlanta I took the rail straight from my hotel downtown right into the airport, with my luggage, for a buck fifty I sailed across the city vs. a forty dollar cab fare.

Will these personal air vehicles have a place?  Maybe for pilots getting from their homes to the major airports, I see them using such vehicles.  Pilots like to commute to their hubs by personal aircraft when they can, it's a matter of convenience, many fly in from air parks 60-100 miles away from their hubs.  What a life, at least we can sim it!

John