Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

Stutters Cured-Simple Solution-Lesson Learned!

2 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

..I often recommend the above settings AND removal of Affinity Mask settings for forth generation I7s and later - UNLESS the person is running other demanding software (one program or a cumulative affect) in concert with P3D.

Thanks for the clarification, Dave.  Those pesky add-on programs so many of us use in conjunction with and alongside the simlulator can make an Affinity Mask worth its weight in gold!

Greg

I’d love to use NI frame rate limited again with current drivers and avoid the DXGI Device Hung error.  Forced to use recent drivers for other programs.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

1 hour ago, pmb said:

I get more and more confused.

LOL I am with you! LOL! I think the subject is confusing due to the fact that every one of us has a different machine and software and settings. I need to upgrade hardware in the worst way. Just waiting for the new stuff to filter down in a few weeks. I know this for sure.....I will not be even try the new RTX stuff until at least version 3080TI or 4080TI GPU's pop up. It may make some pretty pictures in a year or two but I really do expect it to eat up most if not all the performance increase we have been waiting for over the last 4 or 5 years. One thing that is clear is that every new whistle and bell cost some performance. No freebies in the flight sim world. 

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

1 hour ago, pmb said:

I get more and more confused.

It's my impression all those threads go in circles. One ends up with the definite conclusion you MUST apply an AM, at least if running with HT on. The next one ends up with the agreement to NOT apply an AM, but use the internal limiter (or whatever it's called). The third one suggests to run the internal limiter at unlimited, but VSync/TP on and set the monitor rate to 30 Hz, if possible. The next one concludes using an external limiter and VSync/TP off and not use an AM. And so on.

I think it's a continuous optimization within the magic triangle

Stutters

|                |       

Blurries                Low fps

You always shift the center of gravity more to one of the three but at the cost of the two others. The only way to escape is better hardware anway.

And to provide a more positive feedback. After quite some experiments, I found the best overall experience on my system (see signature) monitor set to 30 Hz, internal limiter unlimited, VSync/TP on, no external limiter. No AM either. (I have quite a number of programs like Active Sky/ASCA/Skyforce/FSFlightControl/SPAD.neXt shifted to a networked machine). This works well, as long  as I can maintain the 30 fps, which I can under most "normal" conditions, but not in heavy environments/with AI/bad weather, where I just have to live with a few stutters (call it long frames, if you like) now and then.I

Kind regards, Michael

PS: I just recalled, I completely forgot that nice FFTF factoring in.

I have not tried the AM setting

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

8 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

I have not tried the AM setting

But you wrote you took off Prepar3d from cores 0 and 1 using Process Lasso. This isn't exactly an Affinity Mask, I know that, but I think it's not unsimilar either.

Although, if applying an AM, I wouldn't mask out cores 0 and 1, but  core 1 alone, at best (which is the least used among my cores without an AM anyway).

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

9 minutes ago, pmb said:

But you wrote you took off Prepar3d from cores 0 and 1 using Process Lasso. This isn't exactly an Affinity Mask, I know that, but I think it's not unsimilar either.

Although, if applying an AM, I wouldn't mask out cores 0 and 1, but  core 1 alone, at best (which is the least used among my cores without an AM anyway).

Kind regards, Michael

I meant to say I didn't add it in the .cfg file...sorry about that.  I'm not sure how to go about doing it the cfg file way other than I've seen some AM calculators out there.  I think you use those.  I ran across this one the other day when I saw someone's post:  http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=utilties .  Like I said I haven't tried it, but it might help you.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

11 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

I meant to say I didn't add it in the .cfg file...sorry about that.  I'm not sure how to go about doing it the cfg file way other than I've seen some AM calculators out there. 

I use SimStarter which comes with an integrated Affinity Mask calculator where you choose the active cores and it inserts the proper lines into the config file. I tried a few popular settings for my machine time ago, but none of them gave me a really great advantage.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Those of you running P3D 4.3 with frame rate setting on unlimited... how are you dealing with blurries?

I agree with Michael, this is a confusing and never-ending vicious cycle ...

Enrique Vaamonde

10 minutes ago, evaamo said:

Those of you running P3D 4.3 with frame rate setting on unlimited... how are you dealing with blurries?

I have LOD setting to 9.5 in the .cfg file.  Using high def terrain textures in the settings.  I'll try and post some picks of my settings.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

12 minutes ago, evaamo said:

Take a look at this utility, works fine for me:

https://www.fspsstore.com/fsps-products/fsps-fftf-dynamic-fsx.html

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

28 minutes ago, evaamo said:

I deal with it by using a 30 Hz monitor with VSync turned on.  This is, in effect, a hardware-driven 30 fps frame limiter.

I think it's a vicious cycle mostly when people do not understand what AM does and does not do.  If you don't have a good understanding of how Windows handles thread processing across both physical cores and virtual processors...how cache memory serves the virtual core pairs, how P3D's process is structured w/r/t the main thread, the primary rendering thread, and scenery loading threads, and much of the same about each and every other add-on that will run on the same machine, then you're very likely to misuse the AM values mentioned in these discussions.  So if you don't feel like you have that kind of in-depth knowledge on how P3D handles multithreading on a multi-core CPU (with or without HT enabled), then no AM is probably the best answer, because if you mess with it without knowing what you're doing, you're either going to choose the wrong value, or be left to experiment trial-and-error without really knowing why a particular value may work now, but not later when something else changes.

It's an advanced performance configuration, and misused it can, as the OP noted, negatively impact performance just as easily as it can help.

I think of it like people that put high-octane gas into a vehicle, believing it will enhance performance, and not understanding what effect the higher octane actually has...resulting in very expensive exhaust with no performance boost in vehicles that don't actually need it.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

8 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Take a look at this utility, works fine for me:

https://www.fspsstore.com/fsps-products/fsps-fftf-dynamic-fsx.html

Cheers, Ed

Given that this is a P3D thread, a word of warning--the product in this link is for FSX, and will not work for P3D.  There are separate P3Dv3 and P3Dv4-specific versions of this program.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

25 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I deal with it by using a 30 Hz monitor with VSync turned on.  This is, in effect, a hardware-driven 30 fps frame limiter.

I think it's a vicious cycle mostly when people do not understand what AM does and does not do.  If you don't have a good understanding of how Windows handles thread processing across both physical and virtual cores...how cache memory serves the virtual core pairs, how P3D's process is structured w/r/t the main thread, the primary rendering thread, and scenery loading threads, and much of the same about each and every other add-on that will run on the same machine, then you're very likely to misuse the AM values mentioned in these discussions.  So if you don't feel like you have that kind of in-depth knowledge on how P3D handles multithreading on a multi-core CPU (with or without HT enabled), then no AM is probably the best answer, because if you mess with it without knowing what you're doing, you're either going to choose the wrong value, or be left to experiment trial-and-error without really knowing why a particular value may work now, but not later when something else changes.

It's an advanced performance configuration, and misused it can, as the OP noted, negatively impact performance just as easily as it can help.

I think of it like people that put high-octane gas into a vehicle, believing it will enhance performance, and not understanding what effect the higher octane actually has...resulting in very expensive exhaust with no performance boost in vehicles that don't actually need it.

Regards

Thanks for the long reply, Bob.

I use an AM that "emulates" having HT off, whilst allowing me to actually keep HT enabled in BIOS, resulting in a smooth performance.

I had good results with setting the frame rate limiter to unlimited until 4.3, where more blurries are becoming more evident.

Now I basically select my internal (inside P3D) frame rate limiter to 31 and, even if I'm getting lower FPS, the blurries are less noticeable tho the smoothness is still there.

Cheers

-E

Edited by evaamo

Enrique Vaamonde

7 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Given that this is a P3D thread, a word of warning--the product in this link is for FSX, and will not work for P3D.  There are separate P3Dv3 and P3Dv4-specific versions of this program.

You're quite right. My bad.

Thanks, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers