Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

Having a hard time getting this aircraft to rotate..

Hi all, I freshly installed P3D v4.3 with the NGX and properly set up my Saitek yoke + rudder pedals. During takeoff however I almost can't get her to rotate while fully pulling back on the yoke. Even with 1/3 tank, cargo moved to the back and elevator trim set she won't rotate until 170+ kts and then only does so very slowly until the wheels leave the ground and then she pitches up quite aggressively. It is like the aircraft sticks to the ground and I have to force rip her off. I don't know why but I'm having this issue only with the NGX. All other aircraft including the MJC Dash 8 are fine. Any ideas?

Hmm.

Have you followed the tutorials for setting the aircraft up. Also what flap setting are you using? 1/3 tank? which tank are you putting fuel into. I only say that as Boeing forbid fuel in the centre tank unless the wings are full first. There is a slowly rearward trim as you fill the wing tanks due to the swept wings, but a sharply forward moment when you put fuel in the centre tank.

If the FMC is fed with a fuel figure it will assume the correct placement for it in it's trim calculation. That's all I can think of.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Hi Mark, I used the 1/3 preset in the FMC. I tried with flaps 5 and 10 but it makes no difference. As soon as I receive the "Rotate" callout I pull the yoke as far back as possible but the nose only lifts by a small margin up to 170kts or so, then suddenly pitches up like a rocket (as soon as the wheels are about to lose ground contact) and I have to lower the nose immediately. I remember the NGX not having this issue back with FSX, also my flying habits haven't changed a bit. Could this be a problem with the ground handling model? Because as soon as she is in the air she flies as usual, like a charm. 

Sound exactly like you are setting the wrong trim but you say you have trim set.  I have to assume your trim value is based on the FMS?  Which variant of the NG?  What is your TOGW?  What are the V1 Vr and V2 speeds?  Some specifics might help.

Dan Downs KCRP

Indeed. Something not right is going on. This is not typical behaviour of the aircraft unless grossly mis trimmed or you've got the figures wrong. Typically you may have set the gross weight wrong. If you can show pictures of both the PERF, Take off and NI LIMIT pages, plus your trim setting and the Upper Engine screen to show fuel distribution please. 

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Guys, I don't think this has something to do with how the aircraft is set up. Something about the controls is not right, just noticed that rudder movement is very limited too. Although all the controls are depicted correctly on the sys display and corresponding to the input, I can't steer the aircraft. It's impossible to make a turn at taxi speed. At first I thought this might be a problem with Ezdok v2 but apparently it isn't since turning it off makes no difference.

10 minutes ago, armchair_pilot said:

Guys, I don't think this has something to do with how the aircraft is set up. Something about the controls is not right, just noticed that rudder movement is very limited too. Although all the controls are depicted correctly on the sys display and corresponding to the input, I can't steer the aircraft. It's impossible to make a turn at taxi speed. At first I thought this might be a problem with Ezdok v2 but apparently it isn't since turning it off makes no difference.

The main issue with not being able to rotate is elevator trim. So far, I haven't seen any mention of what you used for trim.

Using FSUIPC?

Kyle Rodgers

1 minute ago, armchair_pilot said:

Hi Kyle, I'm not using FSUIPC. During testing I set trim to 5.20 with fuel at 1/3. It gave me a VR of 137kts.

What trim setting did the CDU display?

Kyle Rodgers

Do your flight controls work properly in other aircraft? In the NGX if the hyds are off the control surfaces do not move very much. Could be that, but if so the flaps wouldn’t extend either. 

Edited by kevinh

ki9cAAb.jpg

Yes they work properly in other aircraft, just verified this again in the Dash 8. The NGX is also set up correctly according to the introduction manual.

EDIT: Found the problem! It was Ezdok v2 nonetheless, or more precisely, the setting as described in this video:

Disabling the addon strangely does not help but gladly this did the trick, rudder and elevator working again.

Edited by armchair_pilot