mtr75

8700k / 1080 - curved monitor question

Recommended Posts

Hi fellas,

I made the mistake of looking at a friend's rig with a curved 34-inch (what I assume was 4k) monitor the other day, now daddy want one. What I'm wondering is, what resolution can I run reasonably. I currently have a 27-inch 1080p, and I can pretty much max everything out and it runs wonderfully. Am I asking too much of my rig if I upgraded to 4k? I mostly fly GA piston singles, so I'm not asking for LAX in a 787 with 100% traffic, etc.

And frankly, if a 1080p or 1440 curved 34-inch is a better choice, I'm fine with that. I just want the extra real estate on the screen and a good experience.

I'd very much appreciate any thoughts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi!

I use a Predator X34a monitor. Such ultra wide monitors are usually not 4k but UQHD, so 3440x1440. I run a Gtx1080 non Ti and it does fine with P3D, my frames are locked at 30fps and my rig (see my signature) is usually at this rate, except maybe in Lax with the Fslabs A320 or similar scenarios.

I am very happy with it so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopGun33 said:

Hi!

I use a Predator X34a monitor. Such ultra wide monitors are usually not 4k but UQHD, so 3440x1440. I run a Gtx1080 non Ti and it does fine with P3D, my frames are locked at 30fps and my rig (see my signature) is usually at this rate, except maybe in Lax with the Fslabs A320 or similar scenarios.

I am very happy with it so far.

Does your monitor have G Sync? I'm just realizing now I probably need that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it does. You don't notice it until you switch it off.

Same for the curving and the ultra wide. You start noticing it when you go back to a regular display. Then you realize the wow factor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mtr75 said:

What I'm wondering is, what resolution can I run reasonably.

It depends on your current system specs. What hardware do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

It depends on your current system specs. What hardware do you have?

Good question lol, in my initial reply I assumed as per thread title that he runs a 8700K and a Gtx1080 but I might be wrong ha ha😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TopGun33 said:

Good question lol, in my initial reply I assumed as per thread title that he runs a 8700K and a Gtx1080 but I might be wrong ha ha😁

Who ever looks at the thread title (he says embarrassingly)? - I just opened it as the next unread thread. That said (now that I'm paying attention), your system should be good for 4k but would run much better at QHD or ultra-wide QHD. I would say that 4k on anything less than a 40" screen is wasted - you get all of the extra system load required by 4k with little visual improvement over QHD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Who ever looks at the thread title (he says embarrassingly)? - I just opened it as the next unread thread. That said (now that I'm paying attention), your system should be good for 4k but would run much better at QHD or ultra-wide QHD. I would say that 4k on anything less than a 40" screen is wasted - you get all of the extra system load required by 4k with little visual improvement over QHD.

Yes, I have the 8700k and 10180, neither overclocked. I would love a 34 inch curved, but with G Sync the price is rather steep. If I could get one under $500 I'd jump on it, I just haven't been able to find one at that price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been running a 40" 4k flat monitor for about a year at the highest possible resolution, with loads of addons and high settings.  Not bad at all, not bad.  Tomorrow I'm getting what's supposedly a pc-gaming friendly 55inch curved TV, so I'm hoping the performance will be on par with what I have now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another question: suppose I went with something like this, which doesn't have g sync. 

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM60-P-34-Inch-Ultrawide-Freesync/dp/B06Y28LK9G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'm not some super dork that needs the best of the best. If this had good resolution and was stutter-free, I'd be pretty happy. Heck, I have a 27-inch non-g Sync flat monitor right now and I'm pretty happy with that. I just want the real estate. Is something like the monitor above worth a shot? If it would work I'd buy that at the drop of a hat. 

Thanks for all your replies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Asus Predator 34" wide screen monitor running at 3440 x1440 Gsync on and I wouldn't swap it for anything else. It works very well with TrackIR for flightsimming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Here's another question: suppose I went with something like this, which doesn't have g sync. 

https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UM60-P-34-Inch-Ultrawide-Freesync/dp/B06Y28LK9G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It's worth looking at some of the one star reviews for this which say that, unlike the image on the web page, the actual screen image has a 1cm black border around it inside the physical bezel (you can also see this on some of the YouTube reviews) so the screen size is not really 34". You might be better off considering a 32" 2560x1440 monitor which would give you exactly the same horizontal  field of view as the ultrawide, but with the advantage of more vertical field of view on just an inch or so narrower screen. Plus, you can get a 32" 2560x1440 monitor from BenQ or AOC for less than $300 (I have a 32" AOC Q3277PQU and I'm very pleased with it).

Edited by vortex681

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

It's worth looking at some of the one star reviews for this which say that, unlike the image on the web page, the actual screen image has a 1cm black border around it inside the physical bezel (you can also see this on some of the YouTube reviews) so the screen size is not really 34". You might be better off considering a 32" 2560x1440 monitor which would give you exactly the same horizontal  field of view as the ultrawide, but with the advantage of more vertical field of view on just an inch or so narrower screen. Plus, you can get a 32" 2560x1440 monitor from BenQ or AOC for less than $300 (I have a 32" AOC Q3277PQU and I'm very pleased with it).

Yeah, yesterday I started looking at exactly that: 16:9 32" monitors. You like yours a lot? And in VC I assume you can see the panel better? I fly the ASA Cherokee a lot, with TrackIR, and I think that would really be nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

You like yours a lot?

Yes. I wanted something around 32" and this seemed to be the best size/resolution/performance balance. As I said in an earlier post, I don't think you really benefit that much going for 4k at this sort of size when you take into account the extra load it puts on your system. Think of this size as just about the same as the ultrawide but with more image above and below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vortex681 said:

Yes. I wanted something around 32" and this seemed to be the best size/resolution/performance balance. As I said in an earlier post, I don't think you really benefit that much going for 4k at this sort of size when you take into account the extra load it puts on your system. Think of this size as just about the same as the ultrawide but with more image above and below.

That's great to hear. And I would much rather have the vertical viewing space - I'm a real-life pilot, working on my instrument rating, and I need the panel much more than the eye candy of a more "immersive" view.

I just found an HP 32" 1440 at WorstBuy for $279 on sale. I'm grabbing that bad boy. I will report back - thanks so much for saving me $500.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-32-led-qhd-monitor-black-with-silver-stand/5759502.p?skuId=5759502

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be misjudged by the ratio, considering the resolution you'll be very able to display both instrument and outside view everything perfectly readable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got that monitor from BestBuy, extremely pleased with the 32" 2k monitor. Much better resolution than the 1080p and a very nice amount of real estate. Couldn't be happier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 34" Dell Ultrasharp 3415 that i plug into a MSI GT73 laptop with an I7-77700hq, 8 gig 1070, 16 gigs of ram, M.2 drives and it runs the monitor with P3dV4.3 very well. Lately I am flying the new PMDG B748 into add-on complex airports. No problem. p3d settings are way up. The 34" curved monitor give great immersion. I've had it for a few years and it's been worth every cent.  Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now